Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,044
0 members and 1,044 guests
No Members online

Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to think there is a different perspective depending on whether you're in a fraternity or a sorority. It's not unusual for men to hold full or part time jobs while going to school. Nor is it unusual for men to drop out for a semester and work, maybe in town or maybe on campus.
And in fact, more and more colleges and universities are operating year-round. Not long ago, fraternities got a free pass in he summer because the chapters weren't in session. Not now. Now - at least in Florida's public universities - many IFCs are fully operational in the summer. This weekend at FSU the major fraternities will hold huge parties at their houses. The chapters may not meet regularly but the officers are in charge and responsible. If you don't have an active rush program in the summer, and have your top rushees sign bid cards or take pins, then you're left to pick over whomever shows up in rush week.
Not so with the sororities. Fall, formal rush brings all the young women to all the chapters during one orchestrated week and the pledge classes are assigned by rigid rules. I doubt if the sorority rush chairmen have much to do in the summer other than paperwork - processing recommendations and planning. I doubt that the sororities are allowed to overtly rush and pursue specific prospects, or sign them to bids in the summer.
Men's rush is open and aggressive, competitive. In an open system the rushees are not brought to our doors. If we don't hustle in the summer, we fail. It's a good idea to have a man in charge who is responsible to lead the chapter and get the job done. If we can pay him, all the better.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 PM

FWIW, I think the rush chair for XYZ sorority at Alabama should get paid too.

It's not unusual for sorority women to do any of the things you mentioned either. However, they do it to make money to pay their tuition, room and board, not to work for their sorority.

Even if classes are held in summer, it still isn't anything compared to spring or fall.

I have zero problem with a guy heading up summer rush and getting paid for it. However, the OP's post didn't say they were having such a rush. He's talking about the fall semester, as stated in his title. I highly doubt that a school with only 4 fraternities and chapters of such small size has a summertime rush like Florida or the SEC schools.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
I have to think there is a different perspective depending on whether you're in a fraternity or a sorority.
Maybe, but I've never heard of a fraternity doing this, so it sounds like it's not a universal fraternity perspective either.
Quote:
It's not unusual for men to hold full or part time jobs while going to school. Nor is it unusual for men to drop out for a semester and work, maybe in town or maybe on campus.
You say this like it's unusual for women to do this. It's not. It's just that we have rules against non-enrolled students being active in our sororities.
Quote:
And in fact, more and more colleges and universities are operating year-round. Not long ago, fraternities got a free pass in he summer because the chapters weren't in session. Not now. Now - at least in Florida's public universities - many IFCs are fully operational in the summer.
That is a legit difference. However even when school is in summer session here, it's not "normal' classes and none of the "normal" rules apply for fraternities OR sororities.

Quote:
Bidding and rush process
Nothing new here.

Quote:
Men's rush is open and aggressive, competitive. In an open system the rushees are not brought to our doors. If we don't hustle in the summer, we fail. It's a good idea to have a man in charge who is responsible to lead the chapter and get the job done. If we can pay him, all the better.
I'm surprised you didn't say "virile." Could you have more stereotypes in your post?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

OK 33girl, I see your point.

The original poster said his chapter only has 17 men and he's asking for ideas that work. If the drop from 47 to 17 is the result of a purge (i.e. drugs, hazing) then they may have a postive foundation on which to rebuld. He doesn't say (in fact, I wonder where he is amid all this discussion...). He does suggest that many members just..."left". That sounds like bad leadership and a split in the chapter. We don't know.

When men are dis-spirited and morale is bad, the solution is usually for one man to rise to the challenge and take command. The others cluster around him and follow him because he shows that he can make things happen. In that chapter there may be a man who loves the Fraternity, and who would take the banner, but he cannot afford to drop out for a semester - or - perhaps he has a job in addition to school and he would take the rush chairman's mantle if he had enough money to quit work.

I am in favor of what works. I have seen this technique bring success. There may be other ways to solve the problems here and save this chapter. I don't know the men. We have a Convention starting next week and perhaps I'll get to talk to them. I do know this: they cannot survive without bold and decisive action.

Last edited by Firehouse; 07-22-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Maybe, but I've never heard of a fraternity doing this, so it sounds like it's not a universal fraternity perspective either.
You say this like it's unusual for women to do this. It's not. It's just that we have rules against non-enrolled students being active in our sororities.
That is a legit difference. However even when school is in summer session here, it's not "normal' classes and none of the "normal" rules apply for fraternities OR sororities.
Nothing new here.
I'm surprised you didn't say "virile." Could you have more stereotypes in your post?
I don't mind using certain stereotyes at all, as long as they're not virulent [how about that word?]. In fact, the most successful fraternities and sororites thrive, prosper on certain stereotypes. Men and women can respond very differently depending on the situation.

I see that you're a Sigma Kappa. We need to get them back here at FSU. Wonderful old chapter with many loyal alumni.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
And in fact, more and more colleges and universities are operating year-round. Not long ago, fraternities got a free pass in he summer because the chapters weren't in session. Not now. Now - at least in Florida's public universities - many IFCs are fully operational in the summer. This weekend at FSU the major fraternities will hold huge parties at their houses. The chapters may not meet regularly but the officers are in charge and responsible. If you don't have an active rush program in the summer, and have your top rushees sign bid cards or take pins, then you're left to pick over whomever shows up in rush week.
Most colleges and universities have summer sessions for current students and/or summer programs for incoming students. That has been the case for decades for many colleges and universities. However, it isn't fully operating year round because the campus climates and availability of faculty, staff, and students are very different than during the regular semesters or quarters, which is one reason why the chapters do not meet regularly. The chapters that you are citing most likely are not "fully operational," either, because being "fully operational" would be pointless (and could also be against GLO guidelines, depending on the GLO, and against college/university guidelines, depending on the college/university).

A lot of the things that you are typing about are not brand new (Drolefile already responded to that) and they are definitely not a fraternity vs. sorority thing. I am in an NPHC sorority and as a collegiate in the '90s we often held chapter events during the summer, that did not go against guidelines, because most of us lived in the area or were on campus for the summer. During the summer, we also interacted with nonmembers who were figuring out which sorority they wanted to join, as well as self-proclaimed aspirants who hoped to become a member in the next year or so.

We don't go through recruitment and do not have aspirants dropped off at our doors for recruitment; and not every NPHC aspirant is one who has researched the organizations and come to college with their eyes on a particular organization. So, it depends on factors beyond fraternity vs. sorority and the OP may want to see what other PiKE chapters and other organizations are doing (across councils and conferences) and see if they can find something that doesn't violate PiKE and college/university guidelines.

I still don't agree with members being paid by the chapter to be in charge of the membership intake/recruitment but it's understandable if it is mandated or permitted by the organization for the collegiate level. People need to check that and not just rest on what some chapters have been able to get away with. Creative minds in desperate need can get chapters in a whole lot of trouble if they don't check their organization's guidelines. It never fails and loose lips sink ships.

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-23-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a fairly recent fraternity alum and I think somebody taking off school for a semester to rush is ridiculous. While fraternity rush can be a lot of work, it is nothing so intense that you should have to take off time from school to do it, especially at a school like this that is not even close to one of the 150+ member SEC fraternities.

Honestly, strong leadership is one thing, but the entire chapter needs to be motivated. One leader cannot change an entire chapter's esteem and confidence in their fraternity. All the organization in the world is not going to help if the brothers feel that they are a) in a losing battle and/or b) they are in a fraternity that they are embarrassed to be a part of. So assess where your membership is with that...you need to boost the morale before people will respond to orders.

In general, my chapter has never really had an issue with recruitment so I don't have any advice for how to turn around a struggling chapter. I do know that what has worked for us is to assign a "point person" to a specific guy that we wanted to pledge. We would have a meeting about who we wanted and then post a list in a private place in the house (the laundry room, supplies closet, etc). A person would volunteer to be the point person for the potential pledge if they had a natural connection to this guy (from class, dorms, high school, whatever). He would invite them to things tailored around the person's interests. For an athlete, invite him to a pick-up basketball game, a musician to a concert, etc. He would then be in charge of inviting Delts who they knew would be compatible with their interests to this event. That way, when rush came around it took very little to get him not only interested in a fraternity, but ours in particular.

The key of this is not to push the fraternity for some time...he's simply hanging out with a bunch of guys with similar interests. We'd only mention rushing closer to ("hey man, have you thought about rushing?"). It sounds very similar to all the "I Love Recruitment" stuff, although we never read the book or spelled it out or anything...it just works. You can't push your chapter too hard...it comes off as desperate and nobody responds to that. Focus on the connections first and cultivate them, and then mention membership.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
I'm a fairly recent fraternity alum and I think somebody taking off school for a semester to rush is ridiculous. While fraternity rush can be a lot of work, it is nothing so intense that you should have to take off time from school to do it, especially at a school like this that is not even close to one of the 150+ member SEC fraternities.

Honestly, strong leadership is one thing, but the entire chapter needs to be motivated. One leader cannot change an entire chapter's esteem and confidence in their fraternity. All the organization in the world is not going to help if the brothers feel that they are a) in a losing battle and/or b) they are in a fraternity that they are embarrassed to be a part of. So assess where your membership is with that...you need to boost the morale before people will respond to orders.

In general, my chapter has never really had an issue with recruitment so I don't have any advice for how to turn around a struggling chapter. I do know that what has worked for us is to assign a "point person" to a specific guy that we wanted to pledge. We would have a meeting about who we wanted and then post a list in a private place in the house (the laundry room, supplies closet, etc). A person would volunteer to be the point person for the potential pledge if they had a natural connection to this guy (from class, dorms, high school, whatever). He would invite them to things tailored around the person's interests. For an athlete, invite him to a pick-up basketball game, a musician to a concert, etc. He would then be in charge of inviting Delts who they knew would be compatible with their interests to this event. That way, when rush came around it took very little to get him not only interested in a fraternity, but ours in particular.

The key of this is not to push the fraternity for some time...he's simply hanging out with a bunch of guys with similar interests. We'd only mention rushing closer to ("hey man, have you thought about rushing?"). It sounds very similar to all the "I Love Recruitment" stuff, although we never read the book or spelled it out or anything...it just works. You can't push your chapter too hard...it comes off as desperate and nobody responds to that. Focus on the connections first and cultivate them, and then mention membership.
Good; you've submitted some good ideas. So far, most of this thread has been arguments. You've articulated some ideas that may be helpful to the boys in Oregon. You and I don't have to agree on everything. You're offering practical answers based on your experience. Thank you for your willingness to help.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Good; you've submitted some good ideas. So far, most of this thread has been arguments. You've articulated some ideas that may be helpful to the boys in Oregon. You and I don't have to agree on everything. You're offering practical answers based on your experience. Thank you for your willingness to help.
I offered practical answers based on my experience, as well. You just didn't want to listen to them.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-24-2010, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikesOnce View Post
There is a lot of work to do to help rebuild for Linfield College.
I am the current President and we are facing a rush semester without a house and minimal members (Our house just recently became condemned and we are trying to get the money for a remodel).
For the best 3 years I have been here I have seen over 70% of our new initiates leaving along with the normal numbers of seniors graduating.
Our chapter now rests on 17 members and we are up against three other fraternities exceeding 30 members all with working houses.
Getting out and have a solid rush class is a must but its hard to get all the guys motivated and getting out to meet new potential brothers.
I am planning on launching a "What's S.L.A.G.?" campaign but I am afraid that won't be enough.
Any good ideas?

First things first, stop the 70% of newly initiated from quitting! Deal with that issue first because if your retention stays that low, no amount of rushing is going to help you.

Incentivize!!! Have your brothers carry around info sheets for potentials, the brother who turns in the "best" leads get's _______. Never stop rushing, it should be a 24/7 operation.

Since you don't have a house, find a place that you can claim as yours and make it yours. A restaurant, coffeehouse, bar, or even a brothers house. A place where you guys are visible and are able to meet up with each other easily.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I offered practical answers based on my experience, as well. You just didn't want to listen to them.
Didn't come across the way I intended; meant no disrespect. I value your comments and I'm enjoying the conversation.