Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,450
2 members and 1,448 guests
John

Old 06-15-2008, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Terminology: Nationals vs. Headquarters

One thing that I learned back in 1992-1993 when I traveled for "Nationals" is that calling Headquarters/the General Fraternity "Nationals" is improper and insulting. This was surprising to me since that is the term we used throughout my undergraduate years.

It's kind of like when non-Greeks refer to us as a "frat" instead of a fraternity. They don't know they are being rude - they just don't know any better. It's also like a person "gang-planking" their knife from the table to their plate instead of properly placing it across the top of their plate per ettiquite. They are not trying to be rude, they were simply never taught proper manners at the table.

So it is with "Nationals". The proper way to refer to the people who work there and the physical location in Lexington, VA is either "Headquarters" or "the General Fraternity". If any of you are going to Grand Chapter and expect to be interacting with the Headquarters staff, you will impress them by referring to them as "Headquarters staff" or "General Fraternity staff" and, in fact, be considered properly educated. Those who ignorantly refer to them as "Nationals" will be considered uneducated similarly to one who would use the word "aint" in a sentence and think nothing of it.

I hope all of you receive my instruction in the grace with which it is intended - as an instruction of ettiquite.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

"National" is also appropriate from what I understand. Thanks for the heads up. Only those of us who have had extensive dealings with HQ staff probably have this information (i.e., those of us who are colonists or former colonists).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedzman View Post
One thing that I learned back in 1992-1993 when I traveled for "Nationals" is that calling Headquarters/the General Fraternity "Nationals" is improper and insulting.
Pardon the crash, but I'm curious. I can see why it would be considered improper, but why would it be considered "insulting"?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Sorry for the crash...

But, SAI Headquarters are constantly fighting this as well. Most collegiate chapters refer to our Headquarters and the staff as Nationals--which they are not. The proper term when referring to SAI HQ is Headquarters.

I had the pleasure of attending a leadership conference with the National President recently and she said that the NEB is considering having shirts made that say "Nationals" across the front to wear on the first day of convention while greeting members--just as a joke. I think it would be hilarious, personally.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Pardon the crash, but I'm curious. I can see why it would be considered improper, but why would it be considered "insulting"?
Working for Headquarters is both an honor and a sacrifice (at least financially). It is a service role, and when the people you are serving use terminology that is less than flattering - even if it is out of ignorance, can be insulting.

"Nationals" has a negative, oppressive, big government sound to it, such as, "He's a Communist National", or similar.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZK761 Send a message via MSN to ZK761 Send a message via Yahoo to ZK761
One of the things that cracks me up with when Healy is in town and people ask him if he works for "Nationals", he always gives people the same response, "No I don't work for the baseball team."
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Working for Headquarters is both an honor and a sacrifice (at least financially). It is a service role, and when the people you are serving use terminology that is less than flattering - even if it is out of ignorance, can be insulting.

"Nationals" has a negative, oppressive, big government sound to it, such as, "He's a Communist National", or similar.
Thanks. Interesting perspective.

Guess I never thought about it that much because we tend to call our HQ by its name -- Lyrecrest (as in "have you checked with Lyrecrest about it?") -- rather than using "HQ," "nationals" or anything similar.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks. Interesting perspective.

Guess I never thought about it that much because we tend to call our HQ by its name -- Lyrecrest (as in "have you checked with Lyrecrest about it?") -- rather than using "HQ," "nationals" or anything similar.
Is Lyrecrest where your HQ is located? I guess we do that sometimes, also. "Did you contact Lexington about that..." since we are located in Lexington, VA.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is Lyrecrest where your HQ is located? I guess we do that sometimes, also. "Did you contact Lexington about that..." since we are located in Lexington, VA.
No, Lyrecrest is actually the name of our HQ and the property it sits on. It is located in Evansville, Indiana.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, Lyrecrest is actually the name of our HQ and the property it sits on. It is located in Evansville, Indiana.
DUDE. That is THE COOLEST thing I have EVER heard in greek life ever!

That's like.... Southfork....Falcon Crest.... COLLINWOOD!!!

I am so sincere.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Don't the people who work at your HQ get paid??

I think every group has issues with being called "nationals." In our case, the main reason not to do it is the people who are on National Council (i.e. the elected volunteers who make policy decisions) and the people who work at HQ (i.e. the hired, paid people who run the day to day ops of the sorority) are 2 very different groups.

And as for the Communist reference, well, that IS how people feel sometimes about their "nationals."
Old 06-22-2008, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
DUDE. That is THE COOLEST thing I have EVER heard in greek life ever!

That's like.... Southfork....Falcon Crest.... COLLINWOOD!!!

I am so sincere.
LOL, especially about Southfork. There's is an old oil well at Lyrecrest -- I don't think it produces anymore, though.

And thanks to you, I now have the theme from "Dark Shadows" running through my head. Coupled with images of Jane Wyman. At bedtime, no less!