GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 804
0 members and 804 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

How Do I Handle Recs?

My (future) school has deferred recruitment so maybe it’s too early for me to start worrying about recs but I’m a worrywart; I can’t help myself!

I am the first woman in my extended family to want to go greek, so any knowledge I have of recruitment has been picked up from friends who joined sororities within the past few years and the Sorority Recruitment forum on GreekChat.

One thing I haven’t seen addressed here is how to interact with the women who have expressed interest in writing a rec.

In my case, I have asked four ladies (two are teachers, one is a friend’s mom and one goes to my church) if they would consider writing recs to their sororities for me. They all said they would be glad to (yea!) and one of my teachers even contacted her old college roommate asking if she’d consider writing a rec for her sorority. Her answer is that she’d love to talk to me about ABC.

My question is regarding my resume and photo. Even though the four ladies I know “in real life” have known me for years, I still feel like I should give them a copy of my resume and photo. Does that sound right or is it pushy?

As far as my teacher’s ex roommate, I was thinking of getting her address from my teacher and sending her my resume and photo along with a cover letter saying something along the lines of:

Dear Mrs.X,
Thank you so much for (what do I say here? For agreeing to read my resume? For agreeing to talk to me about ABC?)

I have done some research on ABC and have enjoyed learning about your sisterhood. I was so impressed by (this sorority does an event every year at my future school that raises a ton of money for their philanthropy and I really AM impressed by it) and the amount of time and energy the sisters must put into it is truly inspiring.

I would love the opportunity to speak to you about sorority life at your convenience. If you would be interested in this please feel free to contact me via e mail (xxxx@xx.com) or via phone (000-000-0000).

Thank you again!

Sincerely,

UVA17

Is that creepy? If I get her address from my teacher, will she think I'm stalkerish? I just don't want to seem forward.

Also, my friends who have already joined sororities e mailed their resumes and photos to the ladies who were writing recs. I wanted to buy some nice stationary and send them through snail mail. My friends say that’s old fashioned. Do you all have any opinions on this?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Your thoughts are 100% spot on and contacting your teacher's friend is NOT creepy. That's pretty much the process when you're seeking out people you don't know to help you secure recs.

Email or snail mail is fine; ask the alumna what SHE prefers. The thread linked in my signature also includes helpful info about recs.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

You should absolutely give all of your recommendation writers a copy of your resume and photo, even if they have known you for years. While they may know you well, they probably won't remember off of the top of their head what extracurricular activities you were involved in, leadership positions, etc. Even if they do know, it will be a lot easier for them if you provide that information to them, then they won't have to wrack their brains trying to remember it all.

I prefer hard copies of PNM's information--I find it easier to have it in front of me while I'm writing the rec. on my computer, but others feel differently, so it would be nice for you to ask. If you send it by mail, definitely use nice stationary.

While I'm on the topic of stationary, be sure to buy some nice stationary and send thank you cards by mail. Some may think that is unnecessary, but it takes more than a few minutes to write a good recommendation, and I think that it warrants an actual thank-you card, not just a quick email.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

You thought and preparation is to be commended! And as adpiucf and KD4Me have already stated, it is absolutely appropriate to send your resume to those that have offered to write a rec for you. And as for your teacher's ex-roomate, she has already been contact/asked, so she will not be surprised, nor find it creepy, if you extend a resume and letter of introduction to her.