GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,318
0 members and 1,318 guests
No Members online

Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I really don't think that chapter get fined for this stuff. Certainly I've heard of it, but it's always second or third hand, so I am chalking it up to an urban legend for now.
It'd be so petty if one was, but I feel like everyone is always frantically taking things like napkins out of PNM's hands when they leave, so I always assumed it was a real infraction. I hope it is just a myth.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Even if you cut a chapter's budget - that is, "ABC dirty rushed and therefore they can only spend $1500 while everyone else spends $2500" - the alumnae are going to ride to the rescue and pay for stuff. That's a no brainer.
On our campus, we must account for - at actual value - any item donated or 'given' by anyone, including alums. It goes toward our budget. But again, that's assuming that it gets reported accurately by the chapters.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGirley View Post
Looking for creative - yet serious - ideas for sanctions imposed to chapters due to recruitment infractions.

We all know that presenting an 'educational program' does nothing but take up time and that no one ever learns anything new, so we're trying to come up with some new ideas...keeping in mind that sanctions cannot interfere with a chapter's ability to participate in recruitment or achieve quota.

One we've thought of so far is:

*disallow the member who committed the infraction from being present or "speaking" (read: participating with recruiting PNMs during a party) in a certain round(s) of recruitment

Any other ideas out there? Our campus is really having issues with enforcement of recruitment rules, because the punishment never fits the crime. It's too easy to break rules and get away with doing NOTHING for punishment. We're trying to figure out ways to enforce the rules and make the sanction and equal and appropriate response to the action. Thanks!
I recommend that you reach out to your NPC Area Advisor. You can find her at www.npcwomen.org
Old 04-27-2011, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I've known of chapters to simply accept that they'll have rush infractions, and build the anticipated fines into their budgets. I wonder if, instead of the fine being paid to campus Panhellenic, the fine was divided among all non-dirty-rushing chapters and paid to them at the end of recruitment. You reckon that would reduce the amount of planned infractions? (Not saying it's allowed, just wondering.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
My only problem with this is that the NMs get punished. Their first experience with Greek life is immediately limited in precisely the way they were hoping to enjoy it. While fines certainly affect NMs (since their sorority's budget would be impacted), it isn't as obvious or disappointing for them as social penalties would be.
I'd like to see the money go to a philanthropic group in the local community the women choose, an emergency loan fund for students who may have to travel home or if a chapter has a situation like a fire to get them books and clothes until insurance kicks in, or scholarships to be awarded to Greek women on that campus. The money could also be used for speakers or other programming. This way it is coming from Panhellenic and the naughty girls of XYZ aren't getting credit for holding a program or making a donation, it is coming from all of the women.

I don't like punishing new members for something they didn't do, so any money would have to be submit from funds taken before new members paid so the cost isn't passed on to them in some sneaky line item or dues being raised.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I also think it is important to attempt to create a culture where PNMs or later NMs feel they can report dirty rushing that occurred. This is another reason that I don't like the idea of the punishment impacting NMs, because it makes it extremely unlikely that they will tell anyone about it.

I am wondering if there is some sort of shame campaign/culture that panhellenic (and maybe IFC) can encourage. For example, something from the beginning of pre-recruitment activities telling PNMs that the best chapters don't have to stoop to dirty rushing and drilling this message into their heads in as many ways as possible.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
I am wondering if there is some sort of shame campaign/culture that panhellenic (and maybe IFC) can encourage. For example, something from the beginning of pre-recruitment activities telling PNMs that the best chapters don't have to stoop to dirty rushing and drilling this message into their heads in as many ways as possible.
You (18 year old you, not current you) are in love with Hot Guy. Hot Guy has a girlfriend of quite a while. Hot Guy dumps Girlfriend in a rather unceremonious manner. Hot Guy then asks you out. Do you say no to Hot Guy? Unless you are Mother Teresa, no, you probably don't. You jump up and down and are sure that Girlfriend was a skank and deserved to get dumped because you want Hot Guy.

If you really want to be in a chapter and they let you in, you're not going to have a problem with that. You're just going to enjoy your good fortune. The only time it's going to hit home is when it affects PNMs personally - i.e. they dump a chapter because another chapter promised them a bid, their best friend gets screwed, etc.

Sorry to sound so cynical, but it's the truth.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Good point, 33girl! Most girls who've been dirty rushed feel special because a chapter is 'willing' to take a risk by doing something illegal. A very small minority would be actualy offended and 'cut' a chapter they originally liked because of something like this. Now, they might 'cut' a chapter they weren't leaning towards anyway...but, girls who go into recruitment with preconceived ideas (and there are LOTS of them on our campus), are unlikely to be negatively affected by dirty rushing tactics on the part of a chapter they already like.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to goldendelta
Just a thought - maybe instead of punishing the chapters that have infracations you can reward the chapters that don't have any.

Life Loyal