GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,462
0 members and 1,462 guests
No Members online

Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojocircus View Post
hi,
i'm not looking for anyone to give me a definite answer, b/c i know that's not possible, but i am in a very strange situation regarding "my" sorority. i say "my" b/c i was never officially initiated..and recruitment is coming up.

sorry...im trying to find the words to explain my situation, but basically due to a number of things i was not initiated and its supposed to happen in the fall. i should be excited abt this, however they were not my first choice..or even my second. i said i would except the bid b/c i thought i would get my first choice(not smart/nice i knw)everyone kept telling me to just go through new member period to see how i felt...now they're telling me to get initiated and see if my feelings change as an active. problem is if i get initiated thats it. if i dnt like it i cant go anywhere else so now is my only chance. it is not as if these are bad girls, or if i dont believe in some of the things they stand for, but i always thought the sorority you are in is supposed to feel like"family" and when i go to my sorority house it should feel like home. i have yet to make any true connections(its been a year!) should it be this hard? how did you feel when you accepted you bid?how do you feel now?

i knw this was a lot to read so any advice, or experiences would be greatly appreciated
So basically your question is whether you should initiate or drop and re-rush instead? Why in the world would you think re-rerushing would bring you better results? Last time, you didn't get a bid from your first and second choices. This time you will also have the burden of being damaged goods; not only someone who was a new member and dropped, but someone who couldn't even meet the basic requirements to be initiated.

I think if you are that uncomfortable, you should drop completely, but understand that you most likely will never be a sorority member again (at least as long as you stay on that campus.)

Someone who has or knows the Green Book could probably answer the legalities of this too. If someone is a new member like this and somehow gets held over without being initiated, would they be eligible for fall recruitment anyway?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I think she would be safe. A bid typically will last from the yearly recruitment to the next yearly recruitment (roughly a year). However, I'm with you. If she did not get initiated for academic or behavior concerns that's a shot in the dark trying to get in somewhere else and if she really is waiting until "next year" I highly doubt she's going to even see an initiation. Something will most likely "come up" or they are waiting for the bid to expire so they can say no-go is my high suspicion.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Someone who has or knows the Green Book could probably answer the legalities of this too. If someone is a new member like this and somehow gets held over without being initiated, would they be eligible for fall recruitment anyway?
Yes. It's a year (or at least, the spirit of a calendar year) since she signed her original bid. That's what matters, not when she depledged.

I too call WTF on having been a pledge for a year and not being initiated. The only way I can see this being somewhat OK (if it's not a local) is if she was part of a colony and they didn't initiate her for grades. Although I would think if she couldn't make grades over that amount of time their colony director from HQ would have kicked her to the curb.

The other possibility is that she was given an open bid in the fall and signed it but declined to start actually pledging. This would explain the being around for a year and not making connections. And then she started actual pledging in the spring. Although my experience is if you put off an open bid for that long and don't have beyond-your-control type reasons (family issues, $$ issues, super heavy semester) you probably don't really want to be there. We had 2 girls who did this, and they both ended up being terminated because they were never around for events or for the sorority, period.

You don't want to be there. Tell the sisters you won't be initiating and go on with your life. If that includes rushing in the fall, be aware that your chances of another group bidding you may be very limited.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
You've been a "new member" for a year and haven't been initiated?
yeah im considered a "new member" and haven't been initiate because i didnt have enough credits in the fall and was supposed to be initiated in the spring, but i basically de-pledged b/c i didnt think it was a right fit. they asked me to come back and get initiated b/c they thought i would like it better as an active. i thought i would try it, but then i couldnt be initiated until this fall b/c i de-pledged in the same semester i was supposed to be initiated in(the spring).
Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Please tell me someone other than myself has been singing The Clash anytime you see this thread...
Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Please tell me someone other than myself has been singing The Clash anytime you see this thread...
*raises hand* Probably the point I think.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
Is it sad that I took a picture with JoJo and her lion (by myself) at MGM about 5 years ago?
Nope. I took one last year!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yeah im considered a "new member" and haven't been initiate because i didnt have enough credits in the fall and was supposed to be initiated in the spring, but i basically de-pledged b/c i didnt think it was a right fit. they asked me to come back and get initiated b/c they thought i would like it better as an active. i thought i would try it, but then i couldnt be initiated until this fall b/c i de-pledged in the same semester i was supposed to be initiated in(the spring).
Just cut them loose. They don't deserve to deal with a member like you. How do you know you "don't feel at home with them"? You haven't been around at all the past year. I sure hope this isn't AOII!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Just remember what you put into it is what you'll get out of it.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This seems fishy to me (as a non-NPCer), but is this common practice?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
This seems fishy to me (as a non-NPCer), but is this common practice?
No, it is not. They shouldn't have given her a bid in fall to begin with if she didn't have enough credits.

It sounds like this chapter is desparate for members.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No, it is not. They shouldn't have given her a bid in fall to begin with if she didn't have enough credits.

That's what I was thinking. I've never heard of members begging for dropees to come back.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Just cut them loose. They don't deserve to deal with a member like you. How do you know you "don't feel at home with them"? You haven't been around at all the past year. I sure hope this isn't AOII!
what makes you assume i haven't been around? is it really neccessary for people to make negative comments? i was looking for helpful advice and wondering how others felt about their sororities b/c generally if feels like everyone is happy/proud to be there. sorry i ever posted.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
what makes you assume i haven't been around? is it really neccessary for people to make negative comments? i was looking for helpful advice and wondering how others felt about their sororities b/c generally if feels like everyone is happy/proud to be there. sorry i ever posted.
Out of an entire thread you latched on to this?

You depledged and then came back, at least for some of that time you "have not been around"

Public forum means you get the positive and the negative. You got good advice now make a decision and don't blame it on other people.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

this is an NPC organization.
i was not the only one given a bid that did not have enough credits. another girl that did not have enough credits was actually initiated b/c i did not know they dont check so i was honest and told them.