Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,076
1 members and 1,075 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
That's the plan. So far, I have bought the book Great Sex for Dummies, a can of body cream, and am searching for something gaudy & tacky to wear. Preferable with fringe.

I'm in uber-bitch mode now.
You are now court ordered to come back to this thread after the shower and tell us how it went. Thank you.

I think it's just rude to put that on the invites. Generally, people are not going to do that for shower anyway (they save that stuff for the bachelorette).

However, when she put that in the invites, it created an adverse reaction of sorts. People are offended that she'd think they would do it (and pissed at the rudeness of it), so they do it anyway.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
You are now court ordered to come back to this thread after the shower and tell us how it went. Thank you.
Consider it done.

It will be well worth it as she is super conservative and LDS. Heh-heh! I can only imagine the shock on the faces of all those women.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
if i may pop in for a second ladies!

my bff had a surprise bridal luncheon that i threw for her a few years back. one of our other girlfriends decided we should play games, and one of them was a 20 questions type deal. bff insisted we not go there, because she didnt want to tell the truth about anything, and had she lied, some people were tipsy enough to call her on it out loud.

as soon as someone asked the question "where did you two meet" she kinda sank down in her chair. i tried my best to save her by saying the mall, but one loud drunk screamed out "no it wasnt! it was on a phone chat line!!" all of our mothers cringed, the drunks laughed their asses off, and the younger girls took notes lol. and then, after about the 3rd fredericks of hollywood open-crotch panty set, i had to step in and take over. so yeah, its funny that it was included in the invitation, but she obviously knows her friends very well! be nice, dont embarass her lol! unless of course, she gets an attitude with you between now and then. in which case i would hire a stripper lmao!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
one of our other girlfriends decided we should play games, and one of them was a 20 questions type deal. bff insisted we not go there, because she didnt want to tell the truth about anything, and had she lied, some people were tipsy enough to call her on it out loud.

as soon as someone asked the question "where did you two meet" she kinda sank down in her chair. i tried my best to save her by saying the mall, but one loud drunk screamed out "no it wasnt! it was on a phone chat line!!" all of our mothers cringed, the drunks laughed their asses off, and the younger girls took notes lol.
This made me laugh. I was just at a bridal shower that played the 20 question game. I knew the bride had lied to her parents about where she met her fiance, so I called her over and asked what excuse I should be using. Fortunately she had got the courage to come clean to the family over the summer.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
This made me laugh. I was just at a bridal shower that played the 20 question game. I knew the bride had lied to her parents about where she met her fiance, so I called her over and asked what excuse I should be using. Fortunately she had got the courage to come clean to the family over the summer.
Whoa, unless they met in a sketchy chat room, I totally don't understand what the big deal would be!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a random question:

My sister in law and I went to a shower for a mutual friend last month, and because my SIL was working two jobs at the time and wasn't sure she could make it at all, she made sure she had a card well in advance, so that in case she couldn't get a gift (off the registry or otherwise) she could at least put a check in the card so she didn't show up empty-handed.

When the bride opened the card, she made a big deal about just getting money (jokingly, but it still made my SIL feel awful), and then she mentioned again later that "only she would put money in a card and call it a day" in the thank you note. It should be noted that none of the stores where the couple is registered are anywhere near my hometown, where my brother and SIL live. Is that mean or ungrateful or are you really supposed to be sure to give a gift and only a gift at a shower?

I tend to get a giftcard to one of the stores that people register at - one because I really hate buying off a registry in the first place (I can almost never find the item unless it's at a certain popular bullseye type branded store that I used to work at), and two, because I worked at the bullseye, I always saw couples coming in after the wedding and buying a lot of the stuff that was on their registry and people didn't get (or they got part of it, say, a plate but none of the matching set) so I figure a giftcard to that store will help them fill out their registry. Should I be getting an actual gift? Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I personally don't like giftcards or money as gifts. Part of giving a present is going to the trouble of picking it out, wrapping it, etc. Using a registry is good - at least you get to show some thought in what you pick out. Checks do seem somewhat of an afterthought, but given your SILs situation, it's understandable.

That said, NO BRIDE should EVER make a guest at a shower or her wedding feel that what he/she did was tacky. ANY gift is a wonderful gift - and to put a snide comment in a thank-you note is awful.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I personally don't like giftcards or money as gifts. Part of giving a present is going to the trouble of picking it out, wrapping it, etc. Using a registry is good - at least you get to show some thought in what you pick out. Checks do seem somewhat of an afterthought, but given your SILs situation, it's understandable.

That said, NO BRIDE should EVER make a guest at a shower or her wedding feel that what he/she did was tacky. ANY gift is a wonderful gift - and to put a snide comment in a thank-you note is awful.
I never thought of it that way - I guess I'm thinking pragmatically like "oh this might offset some of the post-wedding, home-starting costs."

The nicest thank-you coming out of the shower? From the girls who planned it, thanking me for coming into town a day early so that I could help with the food and set-up. FWIW, I don't think I can get too upset about it because the bride sent a nice thank you note to me, expressing her regret that my boyfriend and I couldn't make it (cousin getting married the same day in a different state).
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
i dont know if this is a regional thing, and i scanned to see if i saw anyone mention it, but there is a practice here of having a bridal "showcase" for lack of a better word...

basically you register for the gifts and have them sent to your home, and they are displayed around the house with the purchasers name in front of it...so people walk around eating and talking about how Mary's cheap a** only got you a toaster, while Amy was SOOOO generous and sprung for that entire Rachel Ray cookware set...how ballsy is THAT???
Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Bridal Teas aka "Sip and See"

It is a southern "thing", and I don't much care for it. It was more widespread at one time - look at "Father of the Bride" with Elizabeth Taylor - but has died down somewhat.

I guess it would keep your guests from going too cheap, which I do not think is a lofty goal.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

For me a shower is normally where gifts are given just for the fun of breaking the bows off, etc and all those silly myths.

With that, a gift card/money/check whatever is just as happy in my home as a gift. I was more happy to see lots of friends in one place than any other part of the shower really.

And as for the "open" gift type parties, those are boring. I want the tacky bow plate rehearsal bouquet. So I need those gifts wrapped people!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
i dont know if this is a regional thing, and i scanned to see if i saw anyone mention it, but there is a practice here of having a bridal "showcase" for lack of a better word...

basically you register for the gifts and have them sent to your home, and they are displayed around the house with the purchasers name in front of it...so people walk around eating and talking about how Mary's cheap a** only got you a toaster, while Amy was SOOOO generous and sprung for that entire Rachel Ray cookware set...how ballsy is THAT???
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
It is a southern "thing", and I don't much care for it. It was more widespread at one time - look at "Father of the Bride" with Elizabeth Taylor - but has died down somewhat.

I guess it would keep your guests from going too cheap, which I do not think is a lofty goal.
Its not just a regional thing--its a cultural thing. I had a "sip and see" as well, although I would never EVER put people's names in front of the gifts. I wouldn't want my friends and family to feel embarrassed. The gifts took over my parents' dining room! Anyway, I think in the Greek culture its a left-over vestige of the times when brides had dowries and everyone in the village came to the bride's house to see.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
For me a shower is normally where gifts are given just for the fun of breaking the bows off, etc and all those silly myths.

With that, a gift card/money/check whatever is just as happy in my home as a gift. I was more happy to see lots of friends in one place than any other part of the shower really.

And as for the "open" gift type parties, those are boring. I want the tacky bow plate rehearsal bouquet. So I need those gifts wrapped people!
Almost all of my gifts have not had a ribbon, so I have a pretty small rehearsal bouquet. I noticed that many of my gifts came with the price tag still attached! (Including a card I got yesterday.) My mom always taught me to remove pricetags from gifts before wrapping (there is a running joke at Christmas as to whose gift will have a tag attached). Is this the norm nowadays?

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTABullwinkle View Post
Almost all of my gifts have not had a ribbon, so I have a pretty small rehearsal bouquet. I noticed that many of my gifts came with the price tag still attached! (Including a card I got yesterday.) My mom always taught me to remove pricetags from gifts before wrapping (there is a running joke at Christmas as to whose gift will have a tag attached). Is this the norm nowadays?
Umm NO. I can't believe anyone would be so tacky as to do that!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Umm NO. I can't believe anyone would be so tacky as to do that!!!
Thank you. I was wondering about that. I didn't notice the price tags at first, but my mom sure did when we taking the gifts out to the car.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."