GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,257
2 members and 1,255 guests
FlyMcFly, John

Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Do you know what goes into making the decision for sorority expansion?

Clearly you do not.

It's not about how many "bad asses" are interested and what can make the school "legit."

Also, no school is "always open for expansion." Educate yourself.
I am educated. I have a degree after all. Sorry if you don't like my slang. Don't judge me based on it.

Yes i'm aware that it takes a lot to add a new organization to a campus but UWF right now is in the position where as long as somebody serious comes along with a half way decent proposal and is going to be dedicated and actually does what they need to do to make an organization, it's most likely going to at least get colony status. Then depending on how well rush/recruitment does and how well the organization is lead, depends on if the organization will make it into chapter status.

Like I said, I know Greek Affairs personally. They want UWF to grow. The whole faculty of the the university shares the same mentality. That's probably why they just changed their athletics logo, keep stressing a football team and keep building shit on campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
The point people were trying to make to the original poster was that every school just can't be an FSU or a UF with 15+ chapters, which is what she seemed to be going for.

Every school has a different makeup, and you can't push for expansion to make a school like another one that you came from.
UWF needs expansion. There is a reason why greek life is good at FSU and UF and why it's basically hardly surviving at UWF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Okay, can we just back up this logic? It truly makes no sense.

UWF is looking for strong bad asses who deserve to be in Greek life? Are you high? I have no idea how this fits into ANYTHING. I'm assuming you aren't a girl. So perhaps the members of the fraternities are looking for bad asses, but UWF (as a whole) is probably not.
Ok, so are you trying to say that girls can't be strong leaders either? Since that's pretty much what I'm trying to imply here. Weak leaders kill organizations. Strong leaders keep it going and if they ever get in a jam, they have the ability to keep it surviving and come back better than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Especially with this comment...

Rather than bringing new groups into a weak system, shouldn't they be trying to fix what they already have?

My school had a "weak system" for many years, in some ways. We lost two fraternities in the process. But interest has risen immensely, one of the fraternities re-colonized, and Greek life is now growing at a very substantial rate. Greeks have a more positive image on campus, and all of the chapters' members are very involved. But that didn't happen by adding more chapters.

And I can't tell you how pissed I would be if collectively, Panhellenic and IFC (or anyone on my campus) thought, "Well, let's just bring more chapters here and let the 'weaker' ones die out," especially if nothing was done to try and help those already-existing chapters in the areas in which they were struggling.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.. and not just about UWF, but about Greek life expansion in general.
Right, I only went to the university for 4 years, ran my own organization, held about 3-4 chairs and 1-2 eboard positions, and had the best 4 years of my life. I am 100% sure you are right and I am wrong.

/end of sarcasm

UWF had a similar problem with SGA just recently. SGA wasn't holding up to it's true potential until recently. Now UWF is getting better with good strong leaders who know wtf they are doing and people who actually care about making the school better.

Trust me, there are organizations at UWF right now that have a 1-2 year life span left in them. The weak don't always survive. You can make them as good as you think you can, but it's all w/e you make outta it.

Last edited by uwfgreek; 10-06-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 PM

You sound like the jackass from my school who wanted to build a 1000 student Greek village without even asking if the students wanted it.

Some points:

At the MAJORITY of schools, there are more fraternities than sororities. This is because IFC does not set quota and total as Panhellenic does and the fraternities are more likely to be widely varying sizes. Penn State has over twice the number of fraternities as sororities. (And last I looked, their Greek system is pretty strong.)

If "none of the sororities really stand out", why on earth do you think a new group will help? They're going to be recruiting from the same student body, unless they take a bunch of girls who are the complete opposite of anyone in the Greek system, and after the initial wow they will sink like a stone.

You are very uneducated talking about an expansion process you obviously know NOTHING about and haven't bothered to research. If you are indicative of the Greek system at UWF, no wonder they are having problems.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You sound like the jackass from my school who wanted to build a 1000 student Greek village without even asking if the students wanted it.

Some points:

At the MAJORITY of schools, there are more fraternities than sororities. This is because IFC does not set quota and total as Panhellenic does and the fraternities are more likely to be widely varying sizes. Penn State has over twice the number of fraternities as sororities. (And last I looked, their Greek system is pretty strong.)

If "none of the sororities really stand out", why on earth do you think a new group will help? They're going to be recruiting from the same student body, unless they take a bunch of girls who are the complete opposite of anyone in the Greek system, and after the initial wow they will sink like a stone.

You are very uneducated talking about an expansion process you obviously know NOTHING about and haven't bothered to research. If you are indicative of the Greek system at UWF, no wonder they are having problems.
Right, well you sound like your somebody who tries too hard. Sorry, at least my logic doesn't have to use insults to bring a point across.

New organizations always bring out people who never went greek before mainly because they never had interest in the current organizations. An example would be PIKE right now. People never wanted to go greek before because the organizations currently on campus were not for them. They obviously do not like how they are ran so there for they want to go out and run their own organizations.

Obviously, you don't go to UWF and you don't know what goes on there. UWF is always adding something each year. The commons area has added about 3 new places to eat and is going to add more restaurants in the near future. Science and Engineering building opens up in the next 6-12 months. After that there will be a new dorm up in 2010. The athletics logo had a new make over, which FYI that shit costs a TON of money to do.

After that I am sure they will find some new shit to build. There is always talk for more expansion as well. It's a never ending concept because UWF is trying so hard to keep up with universities that opened around the same time that it did that are way more advanced. And everyone wants to expand. And at some rate, they are going to be forced to. The student population is rising each year and pretty soon UWF will need to support all these new people.

And another thing you don't understand is that UWF has a very low budget. They are dependant ALOT on alumni support because the city of Pensacola is very poor and the University doesn't get as much funding as other schools. I am sure more greek organizations will make room for more alumni that are very likely to support UWF and help it grow.

Greek Life keeps expanding at UWF. UWF has added AXO, Sigma Chi and Phi Beta Sigma in the last 3 years and now PIKE is starting to work it's way into a colony next semester. I THINK they wouldn't mind a few more organizations considering the recent evidence.

Last edited by uwfgreek; 10-06-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah but fraternity and sorority rush are too completely different animals, and just because another fraternity is coming up doesn't mean that it would support more sororities.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Yeah but fraternity and sorority rush are too completely different animals, and just because another fraternity is coming up doesn't mean that it would support more sororities.
Yeah but like I keep stressing, more than likely UWF would welcome along a new sorority. UWF's last fraternity before Sigma Chi was TKE in 2001 and then before that was Sigma Alpha Mu in 1991. AXO was 2007, and Im pretty sure either Alpha Gamma Delta was in the mid 90's along with Phi Sigma Sigma so I doubt they will be held back to add another organization.

I'm sure at a point they will stop allowing more organizations, but right now anything that looks good and will make a positive impact on UWF will more than likely have a foot in the door. They rarely ever say no on anything at the moment.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwfgreek View Post
Yeah but like I keep stressing, more than likely UWF would welcome along a new sorority. UWF's last fraternity before Sigma Chi was TKE in 2001 and then before that was Sigma Alpha Mu in 1991. AXO was 2007, and Im pretty sure either Alpha Gamma Delta was in the mid 90's along with Phi Sigma Sigma so I doubt they will be held back to add another organization.

I'm sure at a point they will stop allowing more organizations, but right now anything that looks good and will make a positive impact on UWF will more than likely have a foot in the door. They rarely ever say no on anything at the moment.
It has nothing to do with UWF the school, it has to do with what Panhellenic Council will permit. Even if the school is open to adding another sorority, if the current ones are not all at total, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Boys have penises. Girls have vaginas. Boys and girls are different. So is the manner of adding sororities as opposed to that of adding fraternities. Please look into this and try to understand it rather than just shooting off your mouth.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

As a current sorority member at UWF, I can tell you that the campus is not opening for expansion anytime soon.

Yes, all 4 sororities made quota (3 made quota plus) during Fall recruitment, but not all sororities are currently at the campus total of 60.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am educated. I have a degree after all. Sorry if you don't like my slang. Don't judge me based on it.

Like I said, I know Greek Affairs personally. They want UWF to grow. The whole faculty of the the university shares the same mentality. That's probably why they just changed their athletics logo, keep stressing a football team and keep building shit on campus.

Right, I only went to the university for 4 years, ran my own organization, held about 3-4 chairs and 1-2 eboard positions, and had the best 4 years of my life. I am 100% sure you are right and I am wrong.

/end of sarcasm
First of all, I know a lot of people who received a degree, ran their organization, held multiple positions, but don't know the first thing about expansion. And they don't pretend to, either.

Quote:
Obviously, you don't go to UWF and you don't know what goes on there. UWF is always adding something each year. The commons area has added about 3 new places to eat and is going to add more restaurants in the near future. Science and Engineering building opens up in the next 6-12 months. After that there will be a new dorm up in 2010. The athletics logo had a new make over, which FYI that shit costs a TON of money to do.

After that I am sure they will find some new shit to build. There is always talk for more expansion as well. It's a never ending concept because UWF is trying so hard to keep up with universities that opened around the same time that it did that are way more advanced. And everyone wants to expand. And at some rate, they are going to be forced to. The student population is rising each year and pretty soon UWF will need to support all these new people.
Wanting the campus to grow =/= wanting more Greek organizations. Since I started school in 2002, my campus has added a new engineering building, a new freshmen dormitory, they're in the process of adding another building (not sure what it is), they've renovated all of the freshmen dorms, the bookstore was completely overhauled this year, and they plan to have the main cafeteria renovated very soon. The freshmen classes are getting larger and larger every year. But still, there haven't been any new GLOs added to campus. More students and more buildings don't always mean there is a need for more Greek organizations.

Quote:
But hey, I think that's a super philosophy. Bring in new sorority. New sorority recruits bad asses. New sorority takes over. Other sororities die out. No more Panhellenic.

Problem solved!

/end of sarcasm

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-07-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoArgos View Post
As a current sorority member at UWF, I can tell you that the campus is not opening for expansion anytime soon.

Yes, all 4 sororities made quota (3 made quota plus) during Fall recruitment, but not all sororities are currently at the campus total of 60.
Thank you. Can we stop the madness now that we've heard from someone who actually knows what they are talking about?

Boys generally know nothing about how NPC works, and as such, should refrain from giving NPC advice. Also, the three new orgs that were mentioned: AXO, Sig Chi, and PBS - they are all different councils (NPC, NIC, NPHC), which is why it was possible to add 3 new orgs, since they're not recruiting from the same "pool" of people. If they were all three NPCs it probably wouldn't have worked.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Thank you. Can we stop the madness now that we've heard from someone who actually knows what they are talking about?

Boys generally know nothing about how NPC works, and as such, should refrain from giving NPC advice. Also, the three new orgs that were mentioned: AXO, Sig Chi, and PBS - they are all different councils (NPC, NIC, NPHC), which is why it was possible to add 3 new orgs, since they're not recruiting from the same "pool" of people. If they were all three NPCs it probably wouldn't have worked.
Please note: Our official nickname is Sig, not Sig Chi. (LaneSig shudders at the thought of "Sig Chi" and goes back to figuring out which of 5 students decided not to put their names on their essays and matching them up.)

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their input - especially the current UWF student, your information was very helpful. I believe there was a misunderstanding, I did not think UWF should have a large greek system like that of FSU and UF. With it being a younger school with a much younger greek life, that would be an impossibility at this time. I believe in leaving a place better than it was when you first came there, my first instinct was that Panhellenic expansion would be a way to do just that. However, after getting to know the university and even some of the sorority members better I learned that expansion was not what was needed. The girls have told me that recruitment numbers as a whole were down this year. Clearly UWF's Panhellenic must strengthen what's within before expansion should even be considered. UWF is a great school that will continue to grow, and eventually the greek life will have a need to grow with it. There just happens to be no need for it at this time. Thanks again for all your suggestions and input, it was greatly appreciated!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Please note: Our official nickname is Sig, not Sig Chi. (LaneSig shudders at the thought of "Sig Chi" and goes back to figuring out which of 5 students decided not to put their names on their essays and matching them up.)
At my undergrad, they went by Sig Chi. They also bought our old house that we stole the window out of.