Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 814
1 members and 813 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
When you don't have enough licensed trained clinicians, how many patients are treated per day? If less patients are treated, less pay is in returned. The way health insurance is done these days is by patient volume. However, the quality of care goes down precipitously...

The clinicians at the VA is are really good, there is just not enough of them to treat all the personnel that need to be seen in due course...

Private or civilian clinics are more abundant and could be reimbursed for treatment options. But, people have varying views. Sure, someone will get seen at the VA, but that may be awhile, opposed to a high volume location that sees a constant barrage of patients daily...

It's not like I am for this bill, I just question the feasibility of one plan over another.
But the thing is, as I understand it, the proposal didn't really address private treatment, just who would get billed for who the VA treated.

It wouldn't do anything to address the number of clinicians or the quality of care they could provide.

ETA: I grew up as a military dependent and my experiences and those of my family are the principle reason that I don't think a single payer system or even a heavily governmentally run system will result in a net gain in the area of health care for most people. I think we may need to subsidize care for more people at the bottom end of income, and we may need to pass laws that require private insurers to cover more people or laws that require people to purchase insurance, a la Romney. But we don't need a general private system that functions like the military system. (Or like the English system if you saw the news reports this week about one of their facilities that patients described as "third world".)

If the Obama policy had instead said that the VA would pay for private treatment of combat injuries, I probably would have entirely celebrated that.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 03-19-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that the VA has a many shortcomings, but I think it can also provide health care opportunities that many vets don't have with private insurance.

I live minutes away from the second largest VA hospital complex in the country and I have many friends and family who have either worked there or received care of the years. My grandmother was a charge nurse there for over 30 years. Many families move down here for the care offered at the facility.
They have struggled since the start of the Iraq War to keep up with the demand for clinical psychologists who can treat trauma injuries, but they have seen progress.
One of my sister's friends had an older brother come back from the war who could not even speak or function due to things he had seen, and the doctors at Bay Pines have helped him to re-build his life although he still has social difficulty.

I just have a strong belief that the government should care for its vets, no matter the price. It is important to note though that some vets already use private insruance, my grandfather does....

Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I agree that it's a fundamental government responsibility to provide for the medical care of veterans wounded during their service. It's just one of the costs of providing for a common defense.

I think that the government should also honor the committments that it made to those who served to provide health care according to the terms that were in place when the person served. It's pretty interesting to compare the current level of service older veterans may be getting vs. what they were told them could expect, just in terms of general care.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
I agree that the VA has a many shortcomings, but I think it can also provide health care opportunities that many vets don't have with private insurance.

They have struggled since the start of the Iraq War to keep up with the demand for clinical psychologists who can treat trauma injuries, but they have seen progress.

It is important to note though that some vets already use private insruance...
I have seen Public Health research papers to corroborate your observation of VA vs. civilian insurance. Most of the clinicians are military trained. And while they themselves might be suffering from military issues themselves, they somehow find away to be superior clinicians...

The other issue is the VA has not been well funded for the last upteen years. To find that funding, is owed and due to all veterans and their families. I think most people agree with that.

As far as the psychologists, I know for a fact mental health care is just plan missing at most VA. The IAVA has some really good ideas how to help veterans with some issues. There is just not enough licensed clinicians to see clients, intake them, keep up the appointments, steer them to one on one or groups, and possibly prescribe appropriate affordable meds, if needed. Then there is the issue of patient adherence. Most of the vets I speak to are waiting until there is a mental emergency before they actually see someone. By the time it gets to that point, there are so many layers that have to be honed through, that full psychiatric hospitalization is required, but cannot be enforced until a law is broken... Which is sadly, the case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
But the thing is, as I understand it, the proposal didn't really address private treatment, just who would get billed for who the VA treated.

It wouldn't do anything to address the number of clinicians or the quality of care they could provide.
So, my suspicion, from the vets I know who have told me what is happening, is that the course of most PTSD cases from a medical pathology perspective, eventually turns into a Panic disorder that really feels like a heart attack. It does really register like one, like the EKG is fine and unfortunately it is not an "instant" kind of thing, it can occur years later, when some patients fit into the age risk of having a heart attack... When it happens, the first instinct is to go to the ER and get treated. When the clinicians there say, "whoop, no problem with your EKG" if the patients are veterans (which actually takes an an astute clinician team to know this these days), the actual psych work up, by both psychiatrist and psychologist is pretty much long... If you have a nonadherent patient who is also a veteran, they leave untreated for the real pathology affecting them, all to be solved by meds and behavioral therapy...

I am saying all veterans and their families DESERVE the best treatment. The fact is what does that treatment look like these days?

My uncle went to Vietnam twice in the Marines. Now while he smoked probably to quell "the nightmares", he did get mesothelioma that looks like it came from the Agent Orange use. This occurred some 30 years later... Now while he could have pursued the VA, the amount of benefit they were giving for treatment, was piss poor compared to Emory's plan... This is outrageous!

I am sure we all have anecdotal stories of loved one or ourselves who are maneuvering through this health care system and but, when a health incident occurs, I personally think Veterans deserves to choose wherever they can get the best care.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
My father has combat-related injuries. He has private insurance from his civilian life, but since his illnesses are related to his service, he has access to the VA hospitals which are supposed to treat those specific injuries and illnesses. Sometimes he goes to the VA clinic, but for most of the big ones--including cancer--he has chosen to be treated by his own doctor and pay for it with private insurance, even though the VA would be free. VA clinics are woefully understaffed and often treat many, many people over a large geographic area. If you had the choice between going to a doctor in an office close to your home, and driving at least an hour to go to a crowded clinic to see a doctor (or more likely a physician's assistant) for 15 minutes, which would you pick?
Your dad and mine sound like they are in a very similar position. My dad was in Vietnam and has had combat-related injuries since. He's been pushed around the VA system for years, and still hasn't gotten the treatment he needs for Agent Orange. A few years ago he FINALLY was able to get his back & neck surgery he desperately needed (he was a paratrooper and suffered severe nerve and bone damage). Now he's suffering complications from those surgeries, but everytime he gets an appointment at VA, it either gets cancelled or postponed (and it's always scheduled 6 months or longer away).

My dad does get private insurance from his job, but he doesn't want to use just when he gets "VA benefits" and now he's finally starting to realize that VA is crap.

IDK if this is VA or just veteran's benefits in general, but anyone who has family that are recently retired (or about to be retired) need to make sure that the gov't/VA (i'll have to ask my dad which one it is) acknowledges your marriage, and acknowledges your children (and whether or not they are in college). My mom & dad got married when I was 5....and not until this year has VA acknowledged their marriage. Not only that, but they never acknowledged that I was in college, thus my dad never got the benefits he gets for having children in college. My dad had been hounding them EVERY year I was in college and it wasn't until I graduated that they decided "oh yeah, your daughter was in college, sorry" but they'll only give him 1 year worth of back $ that he deserves.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

The fact is, this issue shouldn't even have been raised. When have you ever heard someone, contemplating where their tax money was going, say, "Damn, all of those veterans are getting my hard earned money... this needs to be stopped!" Exactly, it sounds crazy.

There are many problems with billing private insurance companies for service members' injuries. Businesses could view employees who serve as a cause for their premiums to go up. Some companies might shy away from hiring service members at all. And for those people who purchase their own insurance, they may simply not be able to afford it, especially with the very real possibility that their rates will be higher because they're in the military. Also, veterans and their families could risk maxing out their benefits paying for these costly treatments.

The fact is, the military (aka the government) is sending these people into harm's way. Therefore, the government should be paying to treat veterans. Is it a perfect system? Of course not. But to suggest that we, as citizens of the U.S., should no longer support our veterans and give them treatment that they desperately need is absolutely ridiculous.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-20-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Now he's suffering complications from those surgeries, but everytime he gets an appointment at VA, it either gets cancelled or postponed (and it's always scheduled 6 months or longer away).

IDK if this is VA or just veteran's benefits in general, but anyone who has family that are recently retired (or about to be retired) need to make sure that the gov't/VA (i'll have to ask my dad which one it is) acknowledges your marriage, and acknowledges your children (and whether or not they are in college).
The cancellations/postponements are a serious problem, and are based more on facilities, but it's a widespread issue. Like I said, I can't imagine how annoying it would be if that was your only source of healthcare.

As far as the marriage/children thing, that is a VA-specific problem, since the DOD keeps pretty good records of marriage and children stuff--they have to for a lot of reasons. I don't think the VA knows or cares about my existence; my father isn't in that bad a condition where they could have gotten financial assistance with college.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I should have added that I also know people whose HMOs denied them certain treatments saying that they were things the VA should cover.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I should have added that I also know people whose HMOs denied them certain treatments saying that they were things the VA should cover.
Aren't HMOs known for being horribly restrictive?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

yes, but if that's the "private insurance" that the VA wants to bill... well, I can see there being big issues. I can see private insurances denying veterans with combat complications coverage, as they do for people with AIDS. It could really be a mess.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yes, but if that's the "private insurance" that the VA wants to bill... well, I can see there being big issues. I can see private insurances denying veterans with combat complications coverage, as they do for people with AIDS. It could really be a mess.
Aren't there forms of private insurance other than HMOs? I've never had an HMO, and I've already had a few insurers between my parents and several employers.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

HMOs are becoming the prevalent insurer because they are the least expensive. PPOs can be just as restrictive. The only insurer in my area that is common that is NOT an HMO is Blue Cross and they can still be pretty restrictive and they can refuse to pay for things after the fact. The insurance world is a big huge complicated mess, honestly.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
As far as the marriage/children thing, that is a VA-specific problem, since the DOD keeps pretty good records of marriage and children stuff--they have to for a lot of reasons. I don't think the VA knows or cares about my existence; my father isn't in that bad a condition where they could have gotten financial assistance with college.
Ahh thanks for the clarification. Yeah, my dad should be (because of all the combat related issues) almost 100% disabled--in the eyes of VA. But they WILL NOT raise his disability. He has to throw a fit w/ his back & neck surgeon just so his disability could be raised to 40%. He just came back to the VA today and they are thinking of raising it to 60%.

I don't think my dad's condition is that bad, but then again, i'm not in his body. I know that he can't sleep for more than 3 hours w/o getting pains, so he's constantly tired, his hands & feet are completely numb and he can't feel them, and something is constantly hurting him.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
HMOs are becoming the prevalent insurer because they are the least expensive. PPOs can be just as restrictive. The only insurer in my area that is common that is NOT an HMO is Blue Cross and they can still be pretty restrictive and they can refuse to pay for things after the fact. The insurance world is a big huge complicated mess, honestly.
I've heard this issue, too... And I have seen where current serving military clinicians are restricted from moonlighting, while there are quite a few who do it, though... Working for the VA has to be a labor of love, 'cuz they sure don't pay much...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 04-17-2009, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm bumping with this link. It's not directly connected to the topic of the thread but it's connected to VA hospitals and quality of care, etc. I glanced at recent topics to see if it was listed but didn't see it. I apologize if this duplicates a discussion elsewhere.

Three patients treated at VA facilities have tested positive for HIV after being treated with equipment that the VA hadn't properly sterilized.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...I6AlAD97KFK101

As the article notes, they don't have proof that the patients contracted HIV at the facilities.

ETA: The article says something about around 5,000 people having already been notified of their follow up test results. Am I correct is assuming they mean the HIV test results? If so, isn't 3 in 5,000 a really low HIV rate by any standard? (We've got about 300 million folks in the US, and I think that the estimates are that about 1 million are living with HIV, right?) I'm not suggesting that it means the VA issues aren't a problem or anything nuts like that. I just found the rate kind of interesting. I guess people careful enough about their health to submit to colonoscopies are living really low risk lives for the most part.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 04-17-2009 at 06:43 PM.