GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,732
1 members and 1,731 guests
John

Old 06-29-2007, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Toys: Cabbage Patch Kids. My mom was one of the many nutjobs that stood in line for hours to get them for my sister and I. I also had Popples, Baby Bubbles, Baby Talk, my sister had Cricket. We both had Madame Alexander dolls.

Politics: I remember the Berlin Wall coming down and my elementary school's version of the election between George Bush and Michael Dukakis. Bush won by a landslide. Only 24 people in the entire school voted for Dukakis because word got out that he wanted to make year round school.

Slogan/Commercial: Head for the mountains with Busch Beer. Anyone else remember Bruce Willis doing the wine cooler commercial?

Music: The Scorpions song , "Wind of Change" became the Cold War anthem.

TV: I remember the shows: Fame, Rags to Riches, Growing Pains, Golden Girls, My Two Dad's, Saved by the Bell, and the Cosby Show. I remember watching reruns of The Monkees and the original Charlie's Angels. I also remember the old Nickelodeon shows: You Cant Do that On Television, Hey Dude, Fifteen, Maple Town, Pinwheel, and Maya the Bee.

Last edited by ThetaPrincess24; 06-29-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Fashion: Coordinated ribbon belts, ribbon watchbands, ribbon hairbands. Shell-shaped gold belt buckles that coordinated with the gold shell earrings. De rigeur strand of pearls. Izod Lacoste polos and cardigans, FairIsle yoked sweaters. Bermuda bags with multiple covers. Sperrys.

Entertainment: J Geils, Billy Joel, Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops. The advent of the Sony Walkman. Towards the end of college, music CDs.

Politics: Reagan! My parents' US Rep who happened to be a priest was not allowed to run for re-election due to the Vatican edict. Much to my extended family's dismay, the seat was filled by Barney Frank who unfortunately is still in office.

Anti-nuclear clubs in hs led by the girl whose pediatrician mother had become a national figure in this movement.

South Africa divestment-Even my apathetic, apolitical school had one of those apartheid shanties on the Cut.

Science: Challenger Explosion. One of the astronauts was a CMU graduate so the whole campus was in mourning.

The day a fellow hs student's father was announced as a Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry.

Toys: Cabbage Patch Kids in college and the retirement of the skinny ie chokable Fisher-Price people when I was a new mother

Fad: Rubik's Cube, CPK, gourmet jelly beans

Sports: Celtics championships

School: Intense pressure cooker both in hs and in college.

----
Who remembers People Express Airlines? This was a great carrier for students!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Fashion: Neon clothes, wearing two pairs of socks in two different colors, Swatches, Frankie Say and Choose Life T-shirts, OP shorts, friendship pins you wore on your shoes, friendship bracelets, charm bracelets, ribbon barrettes

Entertainment: MTV showing VIDEOS!, Silver Spoons, Diff'rent Strokes, Cheers, E.T., Live Aid, Duran Duran, Prince, Degrassi Junior High, Miami Vice, Head of the Class, Goonies, INXS, U2 became HUGE, Debbie Gibson and Tiffany (the Britney and Christina of their day), Menudo, New Kids on the Block, the Brat Pack, the novels of Bret Easton Ellis and Jim Carroll, New Wave, hair metal, Vanna-mania, the Bangles, the Go-Gos, Whitney Houston, Madonna and Cyndi Lauper, Back To The Future, Max Headroom, and a low-rated local morning talk show in Chicago becomes the hottest show in the city thanks to its new host...some woman named Oprah Winfrey.

Politics: Ronald Reagan: "My fellow Americans, I have signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes," George H.W. Bush: "Read my lips: No new taxes!" supply-side economics, No Nukes, ACT-UP, Harold Washington and Council Wars (in Chicago), Lloyd Bentsen: "Senator, I knew Jack Kennedy. I served with Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

Pop Culture Sayings: Frankie Say Relax, Grody To The Max, Like Omigod!

Science: Apple Macintosh, Commodore 64, the Challenger explosion (Christa McAuliffe, the first teacher in space, was on that mission), AIDS is given a name, Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space,

Toys: Barbie (of course!), Cabbage Patch Kids, Dolly Pops, Glamour Gals, Dazzle Dolls, Pound Puppies

Fad: Garbage Pail Kids, Cabbage Patch Kids, Sticker collections, Pac-Man, break dancing, Deely Boppers, calling 867-5309 to see if Jenny picked up

Sports: The 1985 Bears: The Fridge, Walter Payton, Jim "the punky QB" McMahon, and the Super Bowl Shuffle, Mary Lou Retton, Greg Louganis, the Miracle on Ice, Flo-Jo, Bob Knight throws a chair, Phi Slamma Jamma

School: DITTOS! It is sad that there is an entire generation that will not know the joy of smelling fresh ditto ink.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
entertainment-NINTENDO! the original clunky grey box, duck hunt was soo fabulous when it came out...

fashion-slap bracelets, mc hammer pants, Hypercolor tshirts, the flat top hair cut eww!, scrunchies on a side ponytail...those were the days!

sayings- i got grounded for saying RAD all the time.
I still have my original NES, w/ the gun and power pad!!

I used to wear my McHammer pants to school w/ patent leather shoes in the 2nd grade.

You got grounded for saying Rad?!?! Why?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Entertainment

Movies: Coming to America, 48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cop, Rocky, Risky Business, Ferris Bueler's Day Off, Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Against All Odds, Childs Play(stupid movie), No Way Out, Pretty In Pink, Weird Science, and Top Gun just to name a few of my favorites.

Music: Duran Duran, Madonna, The Police, Sting, Bananarama, Phil Collins, Til Tuesday, Nu Shooz, Thompson Twins, Van Halen (David Lee Roth) I hated Sammy Hagar, Michael Jackson's Thriller (the best) Eddie Murphy and Don Johnson trying to sing (horrible)

Toys: GI Joe and Transformers (my favorites)

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-01-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Class of '83 here, so we're talking high school/college/early career time of life:

Fashion: Flashdance sweatshirts (that we actually cut ourselves, NOT bought that way) Calvin Klein, Gloria Vanderbilt and Jordache jeans, monogrammed sweaters, man shirts (ie. dress shirts, ties, vests)

Entertainment: Prince, Queen, REO Speedwagon, Michael Jackson, Rick James, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis and Phil Collins and all derivatives of same (Peter Gabriel, etc)

Politics: Iran hostages, Shah of Iran is ousted, Libya crisis, The Headlee Amendment (which made it IMPOSSIBLE for me to get financial aid or loans), Nicaragua

Pop Culture Sayings: It was Killer, It was THE BOMB, Ohmigod! Like, Gag me with a spoon! Totally! Gross! Grody!

Science: ?????????

Toys: Atari, pick your own path type games on the Commodore 64... I was kind of old for toys by 1980

Fad: Spandex, roach clip hair decorations, big curly hair, tight jeans, leg warmers, Chia Pets

Sports: 1984 Detroit Tigers (nothing else matters in the 80's.. seriously)

School: High School, College... we had open lunch in high school, actually got to leave at lunch time and everybody hung out at the fast food joints in the area
Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

While I was cleaning out my closet this week-end, I came across my 80's keepsake box. I found my Bermuda bag with twenty different covers (at least half of them were monogrammed) as well as a box of button covers. I had totally forgotten about that crazy fad until I saw them again.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
i did some cleaning this weekend too, and found my old Trapper Keeper with scratch and sniff stickers on it...some of them still smelled!-
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sbx_six_eye
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
i did some cleaning this weekend too, and found my old Trapper Keeper with scratch and sniff stickers on it...some of them still smelled!-
LOL...that's what's up...

"Sisterhood Through Motherhood"
Old 07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Class of '83 here, so we're talking high school/college/early career time of life:

Fashion: Flashdance sweatshirts (that we actually cut ourselves, NOT bought that way) Calvin Klein, Gloria Vanderbilt and Jordache jeans, monogrammed sweaters, man shirts (ie. dress shirts, ties, vests)

Entertainment: Prince, Queen, REO Speedwagon, Michael Jackson, Rick James, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis and Phil Collins and all derivatives of same (Peter Gabriel, etc)

Politics: Iran hostages, Shah of Iran is ousted, Libya crisis, The Headlee Amendment (which made it IMPOSSIBLE for me to get financial aid or loans), Nicaragua

Pop Culture Sayings: It was Killer, It was THE BOMB, Ohmigod! Like, Gag me with a spoon! Totally! Gross! Grody!

Science: ?????????

Toys: Atari, pick your own path type games on the Commodore 64... I was kind of old for toys by 1980

Fad: Spandex, roach clip hair decorations, big curly hair, tight jeans, leg warmers, Chia Pets

Sports: 1984 Detroit Tigers (nothing else matters in the 80's.. seriously)

School: High School, College... we had open lunch in high school, actually got to leave at lunch time and everybody hung out at the fast food joints in the area
80's science related news...

Electron mircoscopes invented, Challenger disaster, nuclear holocaust was fore front

More stuff.....

Ocean Pacific, Karate Kid and the best stalker flick at the time...Fatal Attraction
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
80's science related news...

Electron mircoscopes invented, Challenger disaster, nuclear holocaust was fore front

More stuff.....

Ocean Pacific, Karate Kid and the best stalker flick at the time...Fatal Attraction
Thanks. I was thinking 3 Mile Island but looked it up and found it was 1979. But, Chernobyl was in '86. I do remember the Challenger disaster.

I guess we could add AIDS to that list. It was named in '82 or '83. Not too many good science things, were there?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Thanks. I was thinking 3 Mile Island but looked it up and found it was 1979. But, Chernobyl was in '86. I do remember the Challenger disaster.

I guess we could add AIDS to that list. It was named in '82 or '83. Not too many good science things, were there?
Grrr....my little pony and smurfs...
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

entertainment: cable, Michael Jackson, the Corey's, the Brat Pack, Genesis, the Police, Hall & Oates, Phoebe Cates, , Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Dukes of Hazzard (Daisy Duke,) Hee Haw. Hee Haw had a million Daisy Dukes. and corny jokes.

fashion: mullets, jerry curls, rat tails, Converse, acid wash, bedazzled jean jackets, girls teasing their bangs to the brink (with forks,)

sports: Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, the Tigers, da Bears, the Cubbies, the Andre Dawson, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Walter Payton, Ditka

cocaine.

Caddyshack. "you know, i've often dreamed of becoming a golf club."