GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,541
0 members and 1,541 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2015, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Not sure how I came across, could you guys give some advice?

So I'm a really big overthinker and I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how I came across to some of the brothers at this frat I was rushing. Rush week just began here and I looked at 2 fraternities, lets say AAA and BBB. I'm pretty vanilla about greek life in general so I just wanted to check it out and see if I could bond with some of the brothers. I went to AAA's rush event (in leiu of BBB's) and had dinner with them. I shook hands with a good amount of people and talked for a while with about 3-4 people. 1 of them seemed really interested in me and we had a really good conversation, even exchanged numbers. I also had a good conversation with a different brother about careers, but the conversation started to die down and I just started talking to someone else, which I now realize was pretty rude. Secondly, a different brother mentioned about a job he was really wanted to get and I stupidly mentioned that I got an internship at that job. I honestly just was not thinking at the time and didn't realize what I said. We still talked though and it seemed okay. AAA had their invite only rush event however and I didn't get invited.

So yesterday I went to BBB's rush event. I tried to be more aware of what I said to people and asked them more about the type of stuff they were doing. I got names and talked to several people. They then had another rush event on the same night which wasn't dry. There, I met a few more brothers and one of them was also very interested in me. I asked him to introduce me to a few more people and I met several brothers in the course of the night. I got a few more numbers, and then the interested brother invited me to a different house to play pong. I never played before and I was pretty terrible at it while a few other rushes seemed to dominate. Everyone was pretty hammered at this point and I just shook hands with some of the people I met earlier on and left.

Today was a third BBB rush event (second for me) and it was pretty neutral. I couldn't really talk to too many people. Most of the brothers seemed occupied doing other things with different rushes. I feel like I really got along with a couple of BBB's brothers in yesterday's event (except for completely blowing it at pong) but today was pretty neutral. I never really considered greek life before this semester, but after talking with a lot of BBB's brothers I do enjoy BBB's fraternity and really hope that I get a bid from them. I'm afraid however that stuff such as being terrible at pong makes me less of a good fit for the fraternity. I'm just super vanilla about drinking games and have never played before, and I was up front about it with a few of the brothers. Even though one BBB brother really liked me, I feel like it won't make a difference since one brother at AAA really liked me but I didn't get any invite from them.

Tomorrow is a day of rest, and then one more rush event before the invite only events. Is there any chance I could still salvage an opportunity to get a bid from them, or at least be invited to the events? I'm not super social but I put myself out there as best as I could. It's difficult because at the wet rush event, people played drinking and video games that I never played, so I couldn't bond with them over that like the other rushes did. I could only really talk to the brothers about career/college related stuff. Even I got invited to the house by that one brother, I probably blew any chance I had to get known more by being complete shit at the pong game they played. I'd really like to show that I'd be a good fit for the group but I don't know what else I can do at this point. Some rushes have already gotten bids Thanks for your advice.