GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,513
2 members and 1,511 guests
Low D Flat, naraht

Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Get Involved

I go to a school where greek life isn't huge. None of my close friends are involved, or my roommates. I joined as a sophomore, so I think that kept me from getting as involved as I should, since I already had friends. Plus, we don't have houses. I love my sorority, and it's my senior year, so I feel like I should be involved more. The only thing is, I studied abroad a semester, and then when I returned I really only went to chapter and never did anything else. I barely know the newest initiates. A lot of my good friends in the sorority are studying abroad this semester, so I feel like I'm going to be the loner.
Is there a way I can suddenly turn it around and be a part of my sisterhood? Or is it too late to try? Do you have sisters like me?? What could they do to look good in your eyes???
Old 08-17-2008, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely! The easiest thing to do is just start going to as many events as possible. Join the committees that need help. Participate in recruitment events like you mean it. Call your new members and ask them out to lunch. Don't make excuses. Just do it and reap the benefits you will receive by being an active member. I am a firm believer that you get out of it what you put into it.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with RaggedyAnn. It is never too late to get involved. It's not weird to call up a sister you don't know very well and ask her to lunch or coffee. It's showing that you care. It seems like you're ready to become more involved, and frankly I'm impressed that you express this sentiment. Senior year is crazy with theses, grad school apps, and job interviews. It's hard to stay involved, but the rewards are so worth it.

Last edited by LoggerTheta; 08-17-2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: split infinitive correction
Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

You might also try to get a little sister from the next pledge class. That's a great way to get involved, share your love for your sorority and connect with new girls. I was a senior (with 2 years left) when I got my little and it was the most rewarding experience I had as a collegian. It's so much fun to lavish love on a newbie.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

How about taking on a role of a "cool aunt"? Maybe set up lunch dates(even at the cafeteria), playing frisbee in the park, baking cookies, etc.; something each week, with a few girls from the new member class. Have a general invite to sisters who might want to participate in these informal new member gatherings.

You might find that it's easier to bond over an activity that combines doing and chatting. Working in smaller groups helps you figure out anything you may have in common, and also allow you to find out something new or special about each of the girls.

As the Nem Member coodinator if you can do this on an informal basis (and not step on toes). Who knows, maybe you can create a new tradition of "getting to know you" for new members. Participation is entirely voluntary, but with the NM educator's help, try to get each NM to commit to at least one event. And you don't have to do it alone. Get a few sisters who might want to help "host" these events.

Just remember to keep the total number of people around 8 so that you can still have group discussions and one-on-ones. If you end up with a group of 10 or more, break off into half groups and maybe switch partway.

Best of luck. It's never to late to get more involved!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
You might also try to get a little sister from the next pledge class. That's a great way to get involved, share your love for your sorority and connect with new girls. I was a senior (with 2 years left) when I got my little and it was the most rewarding experience I had as a collegian. It's so much fun to lavish love on a newbie.
If she's a Kappa as in Kappa Kappa Gamma, our New Member Program isn't structured that way. She can definitely be involved with her Kore group, though, and help out as much as possible with the new member and with all chapter events.

To answer the OP: if you are a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, the best way to get involved is to go to everything you can! You'd be surprised at how many people will appreciate the fact that as a senior, you're making a definite effort to stay active. And you'll get to know your other chapter members, especially the younger ones, so much better. When I was a senior, I still lived in the house and still did as much as my schedule allowed me to with the chapter. I knew the younger classes so much better and I would often hear comments on how cool they thought it was a senior was still involved. It sets a great example for them and hopefully will encourage them to be more involved when they get older, too.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 08-17-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a Kappa Kappa Gamma, and I do have a little, but she transferred this year. I am planning on trying to get another this year. We have littles in our Kore groups. Most kappa chapters I have heard of have bigs and littles...
Old 08-17-2008, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappalove17 View Post
I am a Kappa Kappa Gamma, and I do have a little, but she transferred this year. I am planning on trying to get another this year. We have littles in our Kore groups. Most kappa chapters I have heard of have bigs and littles...
Yes there are what could be considered "littles" in the Kore groups, but the Key Sis is generally a Sophomore or a Junior. The Kore groups consist of a NM, Soph, Jr and Sr. While all the members of the Kore serve as mentors the new member, the Key Sister would be considered the equivalent of the "big" of the new member. FTR, the term "Big" and "little" or "Mom" and "daughter" are NO part of the new member program and should not be used as such.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I know where you're coming from, kappalove17. My alma mater is a small school with low Greek participation and no sorority housing. I student taught the first term of my final year, so when I came back at the beginning of winter term, I didn't know anyone.

The biggest advice I'd give you is to get involved with your Kore group. Set up weekly Kore activities - just lunch or a coffee break or something. Suggest having Kappa study table at the library, or whatever. It doesn't have to be big or official, but even if you get to know two or three younger members better, you'll have a much better senior year, and you'll definitely enrich their Kappa experience.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so confused by all of this. Our key sisters are our "littles" and "bigs" and we get them as incoming freshman, not sophomores or juniors. Nobody pays attention to Kore groups in our chapter. I dont even know who is in mine. It must be different everywhere...