GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,188
2 members and 1,186 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-17-2008, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cheerygirl23
Hey!! Just looking for some advice!!

Hi!!
I am very new to Greek Chat, but I am soo glad I found this place.

So basically, I just graduated high school this past may...and was planning on going to OCC for the winter semester, and then transfering to Central Michigan University next fall.

I am very interested in CMU's greek life, and plan to rush when I go there. But I was just wondering about the competitiveness of that school. I don't know anyone who was in a sorority, but I got decent grades in high school, and I'm sure I'll do well in college..

I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything I can start doing now to improve my chances of getting into the sorority I want next fall. Any help at all would be appreciated...thanks sooo much!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerygirl23 View Post
Hi!!
I am very new to Greek Chat, but I am soo glad I found this place.

So basically, I just graduated high school this past may...and was planning on going to OCC for the winter semester, and then transfering to Central Michigan University next fall.

I am very interested in CMU's greek life, and plan to rush when I go there. But I was just wondering about the competitiveness of that school. I don't know anyone who was in a sorority, but I got decent grades in high school, and I'm sure I'll do well in college..

I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything I can start doing now to improve my chances of getting into the sorority I want next fall. Any help at all would be appreciated...thanks sooo much!!!!!!
I dont know how competitive it is at CMU but I would focus on getting amazing grades while you are at OCC, instead of just decent ones. Grades are probably the most important factor when rushing. What activities did u do in high school? If any, try to find similar or even some brand new clubs to join at OCC so u have some extracurriculars under your belt. Good luck with everything!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a random, yet perhaps related question which popped into my head while reading this.

So, say a young lady goes to Community College for a semester to a year, as the original poster is, but the school has no significant clubs to speak of.

1) What sort of community organizations or activities can she participate in which might be smiled upon?

2) What if she joins a community sorority in the interim, such as Beta Sigma Phi.... I know that *shouldn't* count against her, but do enough collegians know about BSP for it to not be a big deal if it comes up?

Last edited by Senusret I; 08-17-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

As others say, grades and activities are key...especially if you can find something really interesting...intern at a museum? Some fabulous summer activity...registering people for immunizations in Peru? It will make you stand out and give you something to talk about at rush. But one big thing I think is that you *should* mature a lot in your conversations between freshman and sophomore year (not to suggest that you are immature, but most people gain some poise and grace between freshman and sophomore years, as they become more comfortable with their new surroundings and enjoy more independence)...so make sure you make an effort this year to go out and meet new people, talk to professors, talk to other students, etc., even though you are planning on transferring. It will polish your people skills and make you a better conversationalist...and as any sister can tell you, there are few things better in rush than stumbling on a PNM who is a great conversationalist...we are so grateful when we don't have to direct the entire conversation, and most of us certainly would invite you back in a heartbeat! So practice, practice, practice!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerygirl23 View Post
Hi!!

And do you mean whatever sorority you end up wanting, or do you have your mind set on one of the sororities?...I *hope* it isn't the latter!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
This is a random, yet perhaps related question which popped into my head while reading this.

So, say a young lady goes to Community College for a semester to a year, as the original poster is, but the school has no significant clubs to speak of.

1) What sort of community organizations or activities can she participate in which might be smiled upon?

2) What if she joins a community sorority in the interim, such as Beta Sigma Phi.... I know that *shouldn't* count against her, but do enough collegians know about BSP for it to not be a big deal if it comes up?
1)-Asst coach at the local high school for cheerleading, majorettes, athletic teams, etc.

-Volunteer someplace - the Humane Society, the local hospital, etc.

Those are just the first things I thought of.

2) If the BSP chapter is active enough and a big deal enough that collegians do know about it, then it probably would count against her - reasoning being that she ALREADY has an org she is putting her time into.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at CMU is not competitive like any of the big southern schools you read about here.

The best thing to do is to get involved in some clubs at OCC and make sure to get good grades (one of the biggest things).

Also, it's important to be open-minded about all of the sororities at CMU, and not to have your heart set on just one or two. With the way recruitment works, it's good to have an open mind, in the event that one of your "favorites" decides not to invite you back.

Another thing, I'd check out the advice threads. They have some good general advice for girls going through recruitment at ANY school.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

Lakers Nation.