GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 910
0 members and 910 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions about getting an apartment...

So, I'm looking into getting my first apartment. I have never been apartment hunting before, so I really have no clue of what I'm getting myself into. I've gotten some basic info (such as never take the first one you look at), but what else should I need to be aware of, or make notes on?

I'm going to have a roommate, so I know to look at leases for that.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

- When you're doing the initial walk-through, don't leave ANYTHING out. I seriously wrote "tile that looks like it might break eventually" on my list, and they accepted it.

- Figure out how long (if any) your rent payment grace period is. At my complex, you have until the 4th. After that, they'll only accept official checks.

- Ask what the required move-out notice is.

- If you haven't already, look into renter's insurance. It's easier to catalog everything when you're taking it out of the box than it is once everything is put away.

This is all I can think of right now (in class right now). I'm sure others will post some hints.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Make sure you have renter's insurance. I have a few rentals and I insist they show proof of it at signing and renewals.

When you look at an apartment, go when you would be home to see what the neighborhood and neighbors are like. Take a look at the exteriors. Are the neighbors having keggers on their balcony?

Understand the cancellation clause. Since this is your first place, do you have an attorney-friend to review it?

Pets....that can be a good thing or a bad. Do you want barking dogs living next door?

Access to amenities. If there is a pool, what are the hours and the restrictions. It's great to entertain friends, but there should be a limit on how many you can bring at once.

Security.

In what terms is a deposit forfeited?

On the side, I would look up the county legal records to see what lawsuits have been brought against the owner, or visa versa. Unless you are in a non-disclosure area, you can typically view these online for free
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Drive around the entire neighborhood and look for potential sources for loud noises- trains, factories, etc.

True story:
For my first time living alone, I found a great apartment that was only 1 block to the freeway. It was perfect in everyway. I signed the lease, and moved in on a Friday evening.

Saturday morning around 7am the entire building is shaking and I hear a super loud jet engine.

Turns out, I had always accessed the apartment complex via that one freeway, and just driving just that one block. Well... if you drive 2 more blocks you run into a private airport! An airport! Who knew!!!

So, for 6 months I had to deal with planes flying literally directly overhead. I moved the second that lease expired!

That was over 10 years ago and my parents still give me grief about never noticing the airport next door.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

- Check to see if the apartment complex has been reviewed on Apartmentratings.com. It's pretty easy to tell on there when some people are full of crap, but do look for a pattern of the same complaints.

- When you're checking out the apartment, note the amount of storage and closets.

- I don't know about you, but I MUST have a washer and dryer in the apartment. I will NEVER go back to using communal laundry facilities...it was bad enough in college, and I KNEW those people. Plus you have to pay and sit around waiting for laundry with a shared or coin-op place.

- Give a call to the local police to find out whether they've had a lot of issues reported at the complex. I usually ask about car break-ins, since apartment complexes attract them.

- Ask the management how they figure utilities, particularly water/sewer. Different places do it differently, and you want to make sure you're only paying for what YOU use, not an average of the whole complex.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

- Make sure that both you AND your roommate are on the lease. Make sure you put IN WRITING how you will handle bills, food (will you buy your own? Split the costs?) cleaning, guests - have the discussion NOW and avoid a great deal of trouble later.

- Try and get an upper floor apartment if possible - I always hated hearing people walking above me.

- Renter's insurance is indeed your friend.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

One other thing...trash day. Drive by the complex a few days before the trash is removed. Is trash laying around the dumpsters or sitting by the road, or does the management firm keep it neat.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Is it hard getting renter's insurance?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It is not hard to get renter's insurance... in most cases it's less than $20/mo depending on how much coverage you are getting. If you are paying your own car insurance, check with that insurer (if you're happy with them of course) and ask for a quote. Many times you will get a discount if you get the two together. If you are under your parents' insurance, check with their insurer. Places like State Farm and All State also offer free quotes online.

Also -- make sure you make note of what you DO and DON'T want in a living space.

For example -- I live in Texas, so a fireplace in my apartment is nothing more than a waste of a wall (of course this is a personal preference)... so if they only offer floorplans with fireplaces, I thank them for their time and try another place.

Another example -- I absolutely cannot live without full size washer/dryer connections. I'm not a fan of the laundromat or the washing rooms. If they don't offer those, I thank them for their time, and try another place.

Don't let them sucker you into a "look and lease" deal. Sometimes they will offer a discount if you sign an application right away complete with a deposit. Unless you KNOW this place is THE ONE don't do it!

I would suggest you look into a second-story (or higher if you don't mind) apartment. While you cannot prevent all types of burgleries, typically those on the 1st floor get hit the hardest.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post

- Give a call to the local police to find out whether they've had a lot of issues reported at the complex. I usually ask about car break-ins, since apartment complexes attract them.
YES ^^^ DO listen to Peppy!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Is it hard getting renter's insurance?
Not really. I had a state farm agent living in my complex, so it was extremely easy for me. From what I've seen others do, though, you just need to call or go online to establish it. Depending on the amount of coverage (I've seen 20, 30, and 40,000. I'm sure there's more though) and the deductible, your monthly payment will be around $10-30.

The real pain in the ass is documenting all of your belongings. Like I was saying earlier, it's easier if you do it while you're moving in rather than waiting until you're settled.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I would suggest you look into a second-story (or higher if you don't mind) apartment. While you cannot prevent all types of burgleries, typically those on the 1st floor get hit the hardest.
HUGE co-sign. I remember when I was looking up renter's insurance (can't remember which company, though), they offered a small discount for those on higher levels.

Also, when there are huge storms, you miss out on the flooding that first floor residents usually have to put up with.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Check out rent.com, which can be helpful and also give you a check for using them as your referral. Free $$$ is always nice when you're moving.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Katie--

I think everyone gave wonderful suggestions and they are something you should consider before you get your place.

If you rent from a "subletter", you can risk losing your place very rapidly. But THE LAW in most states is 30 days for move out. A person who sublets is someone who owns the condo. If you truly like the place, then you can request more time at the time of signing the contract... I only say that because my friend had a hard time finding a place to live and she found a nice condo that she had to give up.

Depending on your state, there are some deposits they give back and others they do not give back... Make sure you know which one's they are. Cleaning NEVER comes back. Security might come back to you.

Your university housing bureau should have some kind of info on getting a place. When I got my first place, I was 23 years old and I used the info from my university...

And yeah, Renter's is so very nice. USAA did right by me, but a parent or yourself has to be currently active duty or honorably discharged or retired.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

-Ask about parking (i.e. If you get covered parking or is it first come first serve) Is covered parking included or do you have to pay extra for it? Are your guest allowed to park their cars in the complex after hours or will they have to park outside the complex? Drive through the complex at certain times (early morning, Friday night, after 7pm) check the parking.

My last complex the pariking was horrible. If you didn;t get home by a certain time, you never got a spot in front of the building. It use to suck when I got off work at night and had to walk 2 million miles to get to my apartment.

-definately look at getting renter's insurance. If you decide you want a satellite dish(Direct tv), a lot of complexes require that you have it. But asks the complex what their policy is about having a satellite dish. My apartment complex requires that I make a 250 deposit and have renter's insurance with at least 10,000 in libility before I can grt a dish

- How far it is to the nearest Wal-mart/post office/target.? What will your commute work be like?

-Is your apartment near public transportation? My apartment complex is on a bus line. that good because I was carless on Friday and almost had to take the bus to work