Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,525
1 members and 1,524 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 08-24-2007, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Social Work vs. MFT, counselors

I am wondering about differences between social workers (who are trained as counselors or to work in nonprofit or govt settings) and Marriage and Family Therapists. I am an MFT, married to the military and trying to find a job to help soldiers and their families. the only problem is that most of the jobs I find listed with the military require an BSW or MSW. I'm just wondering what makes them so different. Any thoughts?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I know the training is different (I'm in an MFT program now, but we have social workers come in and talk about different topics) and that often the roles are different, but I don't know what the military is looking for, and if the SW degree has just become standard for them.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know too much about the MFT program either. I'm a MSW and this seems like the best kind of degree to have to be able to find a job in the field of human services. Even my psychologist friends have a much more difficult time then myself and my social worker colleagues do when it comes to finding jobs.

Is working outside of the military an option? Perhaps you would have better luck. Or have you tried just applying anyway? Many jobs I see listed in my field prefer an MSW or a "related" degree + experience.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the tides are turning, finally. I just applied for a couple of jobs that only required degrees in mental health fields, so that's pretty inclusive. If I were in the states, I wouldn't have a problem finding a job, I don't think, but since I have more than a year left in Germany, my choices for employment are few and far between!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Gotcha! Didn't realize you were overseas! I still think just applying though, like you did, certainly cannot hurt!