John

Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
Thumbs down Theta Phi chapter loses charter

Quote:
July 25, 2007

Dear Brothers and Candidates,
Already this year, we have sent you information regarding the closure of three of our chapters (Kappa Nu at Central Missouri, Theta Iota at Middle Tennessee State and Delta Iota at Washington State) for violations of the Fraternity's law and policies that included acts of hazing. Regrettably, we are writing today to share new information about a fourth closure.
Just before College of Chapters, action was taken by our High Council to revoke the charter of our Theta Phi Chapter at Lander University in response to numerous violations of the Fraternity's law and policies that also included acts of physical hazing. Specifically, these violations included, but were not limited to:
  1. Situations designed to cause mental and physical discomfort as well as embarrassment, harassment, and ridicule;
  2. Situations that created excessive fatigue and psychological shocks;
  3. Situations that involved late work sessions;
  4. Situations that involved physical calisthenics;
  5. Situations that endangered the health and well-being of the Candidate members;
  6. Situations that involved the paddling of members.
The Fraternity has made its position clear: those who haze will face consequences.
This isn't good.
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Zipcreature
This is sad, so many chapters are still being involved in these activities, especially before College of Chapters. It is a shame.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Very unfortunate.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-25-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad that Nationals is at least taking a hard line against hazing... If chapters aren't living up to our core values and basic principles, they have no right to call themselves Sigma Nu material.
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
These chapters must just live in a bubble, with a disability to reach outside their chapter, to other chapters, the internet, anything.... How can you even mess around with some of the chapters that have been closed???

If they close the big boys down for violations (and they have), then you know they wont waste any times with the Lander's of the world. Straighten up your ships
Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad they chose to give at least vague information about the circumstances that led to the closing. I'm shocked that any chapter is stupid enough to actually paddle anyone.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I've been to two Grand Chapters and a College of Chapters. There are still quite a few chapters out there that haze. It's far more common than you'd think.

I've actually heard them say that as long as you're not actually striking the pledges, it's not hazing.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Crash!

I have been impressed with the firmness of Sigma Nu's stance. I know as the mother of two future pnms I would want my boys to pledge a fraternity that lives its ideals, and would tolerate no abuse. So while the news is sad, because losing a chapter is always unfortuante, Sigma Nus across the country should take solace in the greater good that is afforded to the name of Sigma Nu because of their principled stand.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I have been impressed with the firmness of Sigma Nu's stance. I know as the mother of two future pnms I would want my boys to pledge a fraternity that lives its ideals, and would tolerate no abuse. So while the news is sad, because losing a chapter is always unfortuante, Sigma Nus across the country should take solace in the greater good that is afforded to the name of Sigma Nu because of their principled stand.
See, it's a response from a mother and fellow greek like that which makes our policy all the more worth it. National is VERY strict on policy. I have to call Risk Reduction tomorrow to explain to them that the "Family Drink" I have with my 25 year old big bro alum and me (24) is an unofficial thing we do at special occasions and birthdays....National fears it's some hazing thing where you make pledges drink a specific liqour with their big bros or something. It's absolutely amazing that they assume the worst and come down on the small side comments made on MySpace/Facebook.....but in the long run I suppose it's better for our organization overall and I like our reputation of having dignified pledging.
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 07-30-2007, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have to call Risk Reduction tomorrow to explain to them that the "Family Drink" I have with my 25 year old big bro alum and me (24) is an unofficial thing we do at special occasions and birthdays....National fears it's some hazing thing where you make pledges drink a specific liqour with their big bros or something.
My big bro and I have a similar tradition... and it was my idea after I was initiated and of age. I didn't realize that could be interpreted as hazing, but in light of how other fraternities may force their pledges to participate in such activities, I suppose it could be a gray area.

Interesting...
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Although it is extremely sad to hear about us losing another chapter... I only hope that it'll show those out there that are still hazing that it's time to shape up. Unfortunately while at College of Chapters there were still several chapters that admitted to stuff (in our groups) that is hazing and they hope to correct it when getting back.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUIGC View Post
Although it is extremely sad to hear about us losing another chapter... I only hope that it'll show those out there that are still hazing that it's time to shape up. Unfortunately while at College of Chapters there were still several chapters that admitted to stuff (in our groups) that is hazing and they hope to correct it when getting back.
At the last CoC I attended back in (I think) '01, a lot of chapters admitted to hazing as well. At Grand Chapter, it seemed like just about everyone did but us. I think HQ is taking a pretty strong stance as far as changing our culture. It's going to happen a little bit at a time. In 10 years though? I believe we'll be a totally different organization where risk management is concerned.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
At Grand Chapter, it seemed like just about everyone did but us
Wow... never having been to CoC or GC, that's very surprising to hear. I admit I only have a local perspective of how our fraternity handles the issue, but our chapter is EXTREMELY strict about hazing. We practically have to draw straws to determine our Risk Reduction chair because no one wants to be the ball-breaker.

Our Chapter bylaws have strict consequences for offenses, including the immediate notification of Nationals for any hazing related incident.
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Wow.. I exaggerate don't I? Bad choice of words. I should say that just about everyone we hung out with was a more.. "traditional" chapter, so to speak. We're talking '02 though. There's been a lot of time to change since then.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Wow.. I exaggerate don't I? Bad choice of words. I should say that just about everyone we hung out with was a more.. "traditional" chapter, so to speak. We're talking '02 though. There's been a lot of time to change since then.
Nah from what I saw there were many many many chapters who have I-Weeks, Hell Weeks, etc etc and admitted to activities that can easily be construed as hazing.

I didn't hear any stories of behavior that I felt went to such levels of extremity that I felt immediate action had to be take though....(forced drinking, physical punishment, paddling, servitude, etc) but then again people might be wary about talking with other chapters about those activities. I'd go completely ape if I ever saw one of those four things taking place in my chapter.
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter