GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,519
0 members and 1,519 guests
No Members online

Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity at Florida A&M University

While looking up information on SAE chapter in CO, found this hazing story on Kappa Alpha Psi:
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4395982

This seems to have happened in March:
https://pro28.abac.com/beejae/hazenews/haze76.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...8KDG97O1.shtml

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...604180321/1010

http://www.ksdk.com/news/education/e...storyid=104445

http://www.wftv.com/news/9948487/detail.html

http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NEWS/609270356

Last edited by jon1856; 09-28-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Damn, 7 year deactivation on top of that.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

People just need to be careful.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:55 AM
#3 Tsunami

I don't even think this is a issue of hazing. Hazing is a result, yes. But, this had to be deeper then that. Just some sick sh*t to do to another human. Especially one brother to another, no matter if he is online or not. I know some decent Kappas. I wouldn't even begin to say anything sarcastic, even if joking. These boys are obviously just sick.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Mis-trial.

The OJ jury, visiting Tallahassee, couldn't understand what a "severe" beating was, even after the judge told them it was worse than a "mild" beating.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

WTF.

Were there morons impaneled?

If in reading this and the reports, it is insane to not find someone guilty for a brutial act.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-12-2006, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
WTF.

Were there morons impaneled?

If in reading this and the reports, it is insane to not find someone guilty for a brutial act.
I agree with you and the others.
However, in a "rush" to write and pass this law, the lawmakers just did not dot the i's and cross the t's.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if it was this fraternity or not...but one of my good friends boyfriend/fiance attends FL A&M and she said that something similar happened to him when he pledged a fraternity.

I remember always telling me "I don't understand why people like pledging fraternities and crap. My poor ____ gets his ass beat every day"
Old 10-17-2006, 05:06 PM

That story was on Geraldo last night.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The Geraldo report stated that it was Alpha Kappa Psi, the business fraternity, instead of Kappa Alpha Psi.. so I'm confused.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
The Geraldo report stated that it was Alpha Kappa Psi, the business fraternity, instead of Kappa Alpha Psi.. so I'm confused.

I don't Geraldo bothers to check up on a lot of things he re-ports
Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post

Here is a link to the Geraldo website. There is a video link to the story. http://www.geraldoatlarge.com/

At the beginning it clearly shows KAP.

Last edited by madmax; 10-18-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

2 Fla. men convicted of felony hazing:
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Two Florida fraternity brothers were convicted of felony hazing Friday in a trial seen as a test of a new law restricting the practice, but jurors were unable to reach a verdict on three other defendants.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...AM_Hazing.html
Old 02-17-2007, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY10 View Post
People just need to be careful.
Fake Fraternalism

By Lawrence C. Ross Jr.
Black College Wire

I was absolutely thrilled to read Dominic Hunter’s column on the Kappa Alpha Psi hazing case ("Frat Members Should Not Have Been Punished for Hazing," Feb. 14), mainly because it’s so rare that you get an opportunity for insight into the warped and illogical thought processes that make hazing such an insidious part of the African American fraternal experience.
Lawrence C. Ross Jr.

It is through Hunter’s “distraught mind” that we understand that there are a lot of black fraternal members who see nothing wrong with breaking their oaths and causing destruction in the name of their organizations. No, unlike what most people think, in their brains the solution is simple: It’s the victim’s fault.

To understand the mentality of Divine Nine members like Hunter, you have to understand one thing — their fraternal oath means nothing. It is a suggestion, a whimsical bit of words created by long-dead men and women when concepts like fidelity, loyalty and trust were quaint concepts. Oh, sure, they may prance around campus shouting to the heavens about how they “love” their organization, but when it really comes down to it, they love themselves much, much more than they love their fraternal organization.

Now, why would I say that? Well, all who take an oath into a fraternal organization say that they will not betray the ideals and bylaws of their organizations. Every black fraternal member pledges to uphold the rules, and collectively move his or her organization forward through positive actions. Yes, that’s the real meaning of the word "pledge."

When Hunter, or people who think like him, decide to create an illegal, criminal and dangerous underground pledge process, it’s a natural progression for people who despise their oath, and hate their fraternal organization. Their selfishness should be a given to everyone who knows them, and to assume that they even think about following their fraternity’s rules is folly.

So it logically follows in Hunter’s mind this simple thought: Why in the world would any pledge be dumb enough to believe that he really upholds his fraternity’s rules? It’s the pledge’s fault, according to Hunter, for believing that.

So when Hunter asks, “Why do pledges allow this behavior?” I say, bravo! You see, the fraternity men beating their pledges have already sold their souls, proved themselves bankrupt of morals and betrayers of their fraternal principles, so the least a pledge can do in order to protect these cowardly men is to figure out that the process they’re going through for the first time is a criminal one. I mean, if uninitiated pledges can’t recognize that the process is wrong, and stand up for an oath they're yet to take, then shame on them, I say!

And besides, according to Hunter, pledging is all voluntary. There are two different and distinct options when it comes to pledging. For the uninformed, let me break it down for you:

There’s Option No. 1, which is the official pledge process as done by fraternal members, and sanctioned by the national organization. The people who follow Option No. 1 have yet to have one hazing incident, and have safely provided entry into their respective organizations year after year. This is in accordance with their oaths.

Option No. 2 is the pledge process offered illegally by fake fraternity members like Hunter. Whoa, you say! That’s harsh and personal, to call someone fake. But wait, think about what I’m saying for a second. If you don’t do something real, you’re fake, right? The real pledge process is the one approved by the fraternity. Real members follow that process. If Hunter advocates a fake option for a voluntary process that doesn’t exist officially, then he, and those who conduct it, must be fake members.

And when you understand that Hunter is a fake member, then it all becomes crystal clear. You understand that his fakeness allows him to feel sorry for those who were sent to jail for breaking the law, both fraternally and legally. Hunter bleeds for the two Kappas who are going to do real time for breaking the law. They are brothers in their fake fraternalism!

Their actions are his actions. Everyone knows that they are not responsible for beating someone so badly with wooden canes that blood stopped flowing in the pledge's buttocks. Like a battered woman who keeps putting her face in the way of a husband’s fist, the pledge is to blame. I mean, come on! The brothers throwing those canes are the real victims in this tragedy. How could they control themselves when presented with the opportunity to beat willing pledges? Impossible!

But alas, the rest of us live in the real world. Hunter and the two Kappas who are now in jail for two years are finding out that being fake brothers can have consequences. Fake brothers cause real injuries that can send you to jail for real time. I don’t shed a tear for the Kappas in jail, except for the notion that as young educated black men, they had real opportunities to avoid their plight, but chose not to. And now they pay the piper. C’est la vie.

But I have a warning for Hunter and those black Greeks who think like him. The day of the fake black Greek is coming to an end. Create a fake pledge process and you’ll end up in a real jail. And despite how much you’d love to blame the brutalized pledge for your plight, the responsibility will be all your own.
----------------

Lawrence C. Ross Jr., a M.F.A. candidate at the UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television, is author of "The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities." To comment, e-mail bcwire@hotmail.com.

http://www.blackcollegewire.org/voices/070215_ross/
Old 02-17-2007, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Greeks, we need to stand together and oppose this.

The original article:

Frat Members Should Not Have Been Punished for Hazing

By Dominic Hunter
Black College Wire

When athletes get injured at practice, are the players allowed to sue the team?

When drug dealers have a sour deal and it results in one party not getting what was intended, is that party allowed to press charges?

Well, that is what is being stated in the ruling against the two Kappa Alpha Psi brothers at Florida A&M University sentenced Jan. 29 for violating Florida's anti-hazing law.

Dominic Hunter
If you haven't been following the case, Marcus Jones, a former pledge, had the state press charges against the entire Alpha Xi chapter after participating in its pledging process. As a result, the chapter was suspended indefinitely, two brothers were sentenced to two years and other members of the intake team are being required to go through another trial.

This is an injustice that does not sit well in my heart. Let it be understood that I am speaking neither for my chapter brothers nor Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. This comes strictly from the distraught mind of D.J. Hunter.

In the hazing process, one subjects himself to whatever happens to him. Therefore, he chooses to remain around for the abuse. To receive the abuse Marcus Jones did, an individual had to sit still and let someone beat on him, meaning the fault should be no one's but his own. A young man assisted in illegal activity, found he wasn't strong enough to withstand the whole process and wants justice.

I do not deny that the law states that hazing is wrong. But does justice mean turning a blind eye to one's actions just because one has a pitiful, sad story? If hazing does occur — and yes, Kappa Alpha Psi frowns on hazing — it is still voluntary. If the new initiates, who normally outnumber the intake team, took a stand and said they would not subject themselves to the abuse and would all quit together, no hazing would occur.

Why, then, do pledges allow this behavior?

Maybe it is because they understand that the fraternity wants to tear down their old image and build them up with a new, more powerful one. Becoming a member of my noble clan is a resurrection for each brother.

Maybe it is because initiates understand that the fraternity wants to make sure all of its original principles are kept. Each of the Divine Nine organizations was founded on a predominantly white campus or because of racial abuse. The founders were subjected to the same hardships and abuse that pledges withstand on line, so I've heard. By going through the same oppression, new members can see what led to the formation of the organization and to the necessity of the brotherhood or sisterhood.

Or maybe, just maybe, the pledges realize they can't truly appreciate their distinction until they have proved they are as worthy as every member before them.

Why is it that whenever society doesn't understand the practices of a culture, the practice is negatively labeled?

New Orleans natives were considered savage and barbaric for trying to survive during the flood, and fraternities are labeled barbaric for pushing members to their physical and mental limits to see if they are worthy.

What disturbs me as much as the betrayal by Marcus Jones is the decision by Leon County, Fla., Circuit Judge Kathleen Dekker. She admitted to being disturbed by Jones' testimony, but was still allowed to issue a ruling.

And she admitted her decision was more about making an example. "I want to save the victims who will quietly go along, because they want to belong," she said. "I hope that somebody out there says, 'Those two guys got two years, oh my God, it's not worth it.'"

This is not a superhero world. You cannot save people who don't want to be saved. At the same time, Dekker has just ruined the lives of two powerful students who were weeks away from graduating at the top of their classes, even after the pleading of other pledges, FAMU faculty and community leaders.

Judge Dekker was not satisfied with holding these two accountable. She set a trial date for three other fraternity members whose case had ended in a mistrial. One of these brothers, Brian Bowman, has been a lifelong friend. We grew up together and were on the same baseball team when we were 6, so I know him well. He is a recent FAMU graduate, and now his future is in jeopardy because a judge can't understand the old ways and traditions of a fraternity.

How would you feel if a stockbroker could be sued just because someone's money was lost in the market? How would you feel if a man robbed you, but tripped over your dog in your house and broke his leg, and you had to pay his doctor's bill? And his crime went overlooked?

How would you feel if your practice of praying over your meal was suddenly considered barbaric and subjected to ridicule? Well, that is what this case is paving the way toward. Pretty soon, freedom of choice will merely be a faint memory.

Greeks, we need to stand together and oppose this.

-------------

Dominic Hunter, a student at Southern University, writes for the Southern Digest. To comment, e-mail bcwire@hotmail.com.

http://www.blackcollegewire.org/voices/070212_hunter/