GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,289
3 members and 1,286 guests
naraht, shadokat

Old 08-15-2005, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LuckyNoles
FSU .... nervous about not obtaining a Rec.

hi everyone, i know there is alot of discussion over whether or not a rec is much needed or not needed at all based on certain sororities, certain schools, etc. i have done alot of research and looking up before registration and everything and i am now feeling nervous about the fact that i don't have any recommendations. i filled out my application and i hope that they will see that i have had many activities and leadership, however no one in my family or family friends has ever rushed a sorority. i live in florida now but my family all comes from canada in small towns and none of them ever attended college really until we moved here and they were older, much less join a sorority. basically i am going to be the first one, which of course i am thoroughly excited about!! i know that it is not required, but now i am feeling a little more skeptical about what others will think of me based on the fact that i have not been recommended. the opportunity was to obtain one was basically not in my hands. what is your advice for someone like myself?? i feel confident that i can be myself and hopefully connect well with the girls ... but i feel like all of this has me thinking too much. also, if anyone is a house member at FSU, maybe they could offer some insight about the importance of recs at my school??

thank you so much everyone. i am still very excited to rush this fall!!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

If a school says that a rec is required, then they must find someone to write a rec for you if you can't find one on your own. Give your Greek office a call and see if they're required and then ask about your next steps.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Thank God

I'm so glad my school doesn't require them. I asked a friend who is a Rho Gam and she said that basically no one going through at my school would have one because the majority will be first generation girls due to the area. Do your best to impress, I wish you much luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

You do not need to secure recs to go through FSU sorority recruitment or to receive a bid. However, recs can be instrumental in having a competitive recruitment at FSU. Recs do not guarantee a PNM a bid.

[paging Barbara!]
Old 08-15-2005, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure about FSU but if they say to get recs in the info packets you probably need them. There are a number of threads here about rush at FSU. Try a search. Another option would be to contact the Tampa Alumnae Panhellic. http://www.geocities.com/tampaph/ They may be able to help you meet some greek women if that is something they are comfortable with.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Although rec's are helpful for FSU, they are not mandatory. If a chapter requires a rec, they will find one from within their alumnae base.

http://greeklife.fsu.edu/index.asp?p...al=npc-faq.asp

However, I would still ask around the members of your church, your high school teachers, etc. You'll never know who is a sorority member until you ask. You might be surprised.

Imagine my surprise at my first Founder's Day dinner, when in walks my junior high english teacher. To this day, I feel funny calling her by her first name, and not Miss Prohaska!!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks guys. i will definitely try although it might be tough because im leaving on friday .... my search before just did not produce any good results!!! nonetheless i am confident in myself, so however it works we will see. thank you so much for the replies guys!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

LuckyNoles i'm also rushing at FSU and i don't have any recs either! like you, i'm the first in my family to be in a sorority. that's so cool that you're rushing the same time as me!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

luckynoles, you leave on friday. that gives you three days to try to get some recs. if you live in tampa, contact the tampa alumnae panhellenic association-the chamber of commerce may have a listing for them.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta .... thanks. im going to look it up right now and see if i can find something to work for me. thanks so much!

laugh a lot , ya thats awesome that were in the same position. where are you from / where are you living for fall?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
http://www.geocities.com/tampaph/

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Luckynole -

My daughter went through rush at FSU last year and although she had recs for most of the houses, there were a couple that she just couldn't get. One of those houses was in her top three and they invited her back to prefs even though she didnt have a rec so it's definitely not an impossibility. I think I remember her saying last year that hardly anyone in her group had recs so I don't think you and Laughalot will be alone in that respect.

Good Luck with rush! I hope you're considering starting a rush thread - I'd love to read an FSU one this year without all the anxiety I went through last year while my daughter was going through it.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Dear luckynoles,

Although I understand the need of the sororities for recs, I must tell you my daughter's story......

She had recs for most of the 12 sororities on the campus where she was going through recruitment.

She ended up as a member of one of the few where she did not have a rec.

Rec's can be important but are not the be all end all!!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

SeminoleMom, just sent you a PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an FSU alum, my daughter went through rush there in 99, and the only house where she did not have a rec was the only one that cut her.

BUT...we knew they would. The alumnae rec chairman for this particular sorority did not like me, I did not like her, and that was all she wrote. Not a top 5 house on FSU campus anyway, so no big deal. (hee hee) I promise you that if the girls like you, there will be a rec obtained for you. Just worry about the heat, and remember to have a good time. You will be fine!