GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,246
3 members and 1,243 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2003, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Poll: Jury Duty

I got this idea from the Voting thread in Chit Chat...

1. Have you been called to serve?
2. If so, was the case "big"?
3. If so, did you use any tactics so that you would not have to serve?

I was called to serve a few years ago. Since I didn't live in the area anymore, I was dismissed.

I remember my mother's students told her to pretend as if she were catching imaginary butterflies so she would not have to serve.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never served, BUT I WANT TO!

I don't understand it. My friend who moved from Boston to LA was called. She lived here all of two years, and I've been here my entire life (with the exception of college).
Old 09-24-2003, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Poll: Jury Duty

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

I was called to serve a few years ago. Since I didn't live in the area anymore, I was dismissed.

I remember my mother's students told her to pretend as if she were catching imaginary butterflies so she would not have to serve.
I've only been on jury duty once and I have been registered in every placed I've lived since I was 18 (over 18 years! )

My case was a woman suing the public transportation system here, MARTA, because she was supposedly hurt on the bus. Her lawyer was horrible! She said she had all of the pain and had visited all of the doctors, but could not produce 1 doctor's note! The case was interesting and it was nice to see the system from the inside and hear everyone's opinion. I also appreciated getting out of work for 2 days, although I had to get up earlier for jury duty than for work.

I would do it again, although I would "catch butterflies" if they called me for a murder case, especially a high profile one! LOL
Old 09-24-2003, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Poll: Jury Duty

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

I was called for jury duty twice. Once in municipal court and the other in superior court.

The first case was a robbery on the Mexican border case. I felt it was BS since NO BODY was a legal United States citizen who was the plaintiff OR defendants... But I kept my mouth shut. And we arrived toward a verdict...

The other case was total BULLISHT!!!

Dude was an old fart, homeless, Vietnam vet, with a metal plate in his head and African American...

I guess he decided that he did not want to pay the $$$$gazzillions of dollars for his pain pills and took his little chump change to pay for crack instead...

At night, he was walking along the city streets as a cop car rolled past him, then the car turned around, pulled up beside him and the police, one Black and one Other (I can't remember right now)--asked if they could talk to him... The cops said that as they turned the car around, they noticed the dude go into his pocket, put something in his mouth and spit it out...

Anyhoo, the dude said "Yeah, I'll talk to you..."

Well, besides, "BEEP, wrong answer..."

Dude got locked up and put in jail and it looked like a 3rd strike case...

I was the FOREMAN!!! Don't ask...

At any rate, the jury came to a verdict and nailed the guy... The cops were doing their job... Dude was in the wrong... Too bad he's going to prison on 3rd strike... I'da kill him on the street...

But I dayum sho made that jury stay throughout the weekend on that case to make sure they made up their minds to nail this guy...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 09-24-2003, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

jury duty

1. how ironic that this topic has been posted, because today was my first day of jury duty, and i HATED it.

2. all i can say is that this is an interesting criminal case

3. no tactics yet, but hopefully i won't have to serve, and it'll just be a wasted 2 days

*** for all of you people who haven't served, it's great to serve however be prepared for a TEDIOUS process
Old 09-24-2003, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Queencece
Ok.....

I have been called to serve once back in June of this year and was very excited, but since I work for the Police Dept I thought that I would be dismissed. I even told the judge that I knew the officers that were involved and still got to serve. I was excited about that.

The case was about some he said, she said stuff involving to neighbors who didnt get along. We knew the man was guilty of throwing some tacks in the womans yard, but we didnt have enough evidence to prove it so....he walked. This case was so retarded and we were done before lunch. I was mad because I still had to go to work. The good side was I got $30 and pay for the hours I was in jury duty.

Do I wanna serve again. I would love too, but I want it to be a big case that goes for a week.

Maybe one day....sigh

Q
Old 09-25-2003, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
I have only been called to jury duty once, and I wasn't picked.
In my county, once you are called for jury duty, you won't get called again for another 3 years.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 09-25-2003, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I have not served in 9 years, and I wasn't called the last time. I've moved into a different county since then, and thank goodness my new county provides parking for jurors!
Old 09-25-2003, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

i have never been called to serve and i've been a registered and active voter in 3 different states over the last 15 years. what gives? instead of just watching COURT TV, i'd like to participate
Old 09-25-2003, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I was called earlier this year. It was a criminal case- some puerto rican young man charged with drug possession. I didnt have to serve because I told the judge I didnt feel comfortable with the fact that his life was somehow in my hands. I think they called it a moral/religious reason. Whatever, it worked!
Old 09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I have actually been called upon twice in the last year, but I got out of it both times. The first time, I was a full-time college student, and had just given birth to my son. I cried that I was nursing exclusively and couldn't be away from my son for an extended period. The second time occured shortly after graduation, and I had just begun a new job. That time, I said that I was the sole income earner for my household, and missing work would cause a financial hardship for my family.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I had jury duty earlier this year, but i was never actually choosen to be on the jury.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Exquisite5
If you don't want to serve...

If you don't want to serve and its a murder case simply indicate that you are against the death penalty (assuming you live in a death penalty state). The prosecuter will get you out of there so fast you might not even have to pay for parking.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to serve, but I am never called. Maybe I'll call them...
Old 09-28-2003, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
I was called once in 1997 and was sent home, which was a good thing because our paper was operating shorthanded and I was a necessary employee. My editor at the time was prepared to write me an excuse, the whole nine. As an aside, my old-school professors basically didn't encourage that kind of civic participation by reporters.