Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,198
0 members and 1,198 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2003, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Worst job/Best job ever?

Feeling like we needed a little action on the SK Forum, so here's a question: What's the best and/or worst job you've ever had? More than one? Was it just one momnt or instance that made it that good or that bad? Feel free to share.. remember, we're all sisters here!
Old 06-01-2003, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UFSigKap
I too would like to see some more action on our boards.

The best job I ever had was working at Universal's Islands of Adventure. I worked at the HULK roller coaster and it was the coolest and most fun thing that I have ever done in my life. I met celebrities and never had to wait in line. Working there was two of the best years of my life!

SigKapAlumWSU, you didn't share your story

Sigma Kappa Alumna

University of Florida
Old 06-01-2003, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
worst jobs would have to be telemarketing and working as an inside sales rep at the local paper. i had to sell ad space in the paper. it sucked majorly, but i at least got a man out of it.

best job is a little more difficult to determine. i'v dealt with a lot of sh** on every job i've had, but i enjoyed them for the most part. i really liked working in the photo labs for the most part. i did it well and had a lot of fun seeing some of the more......how shall i say.......interesting pictures that came through.

i also loved working at a local summer camp back when i was like 15. i made like long friends there. the work itself sucked, but i had a blast. i had to do dishes, sweep, mop, clean the toilets, etc., but having 5 other friends to do it with helped.

and you have to love those jobs where you don't have to do jack. i've had a few of those types of temp jobs. i'm actually working one of those now, but not temp. i work at the local ymca youth center. not only do i get to just sit and watch tv, check email, etc. i get to play pool with the kids and stuff like that. it rocks pretty well.

shelley j
sigma k

shelley j
sigma k
Old 06-02-2003, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Well...Looking back, I suppose there were things I loved about every job I've had..But you can definately believe that I thought they were alllll the WORST job I've ever had at that point in time.

Minus the co-workers, I'd say the best job I have right now is CNA (certified nurse's assistant) At a nursing home. As soon as they have classes again, I'm going to do QMA (qualified medical assistant), which just means I'm legally allowed to pass medications. Eventually I want to be a specialized nurse, and then THAT will be my Best job ever.

Let's see..Worst job ever...I'm going to decide this based on the job itself, not including my co-workers, etc. Probably the first time I did telemarketing. I would cry before I had to work because I hated it so much, but daggone it, I needed the money. It was horrible. We didn't actually SELL anything, but we had to talk people into going to watch a 90 minute long presentation about time shares, in return for a 3 day, 2 night trip. Horrible. The root beer stand sucked too, i don't know about that one.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My worst job was DEFINITELY when I took a summer position as a "receptionist" for a ski and swim shop. Instead of basic receptionist types of jobs, I was actually the fall person for the new owner. I was there for 10 days before I had a panic attack and quit.

My best job so far in my short working life was an assistant swim lesson coordinator. My position was high enough that I got paid more and didn't have to do the dirty work that other lifeguards had to do, but low enough that I had zero responsibility. Ya can't beat that!
Old 06-02-2003, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My best job to date probably had to be one that I got through a temp service. I was working on an Army Base as a civilian contrator for a joint venture between two large companies (read: big expensive project for the army which costs much dinero). I was the Personal Assistant to the Site Magager, who just happened to adore everything I did. While I worked there, I could do no wrong, and I got nothing but glowing recomendations. And the biggest plus was all the Army men snapping to attention when I walked in.. and I was one of only 3 women working in the project. Gotta love that.

The worst job I had was either Arby's or Target. Arby's just because it was fast food, and it's just hard to serve jerky friends with a smile. And Target because it was a year of pure hell. Afer being promised promotion after promotion, and not seeing any of it, doing the job of someone levels above me and not geting paid for it, I had to quit. Plus, there is nothing quite like working retail the Day afer Thanksgiving. That's somehitng I will never forget.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

"Plus, there is nothing quite like working retail the Day afer Thanksgiving. That's somehitng I will never forget."

Oh man...tell me about it. I worked at J.C. Penney for 3 years...including 3 christmas eves, day after christmas...and the day after thanksgiving. retail is hell. Did I mention I worked in the Catalog/Gift Wrap/Layaway/Credit dept? Gift Wrap was a b*tch during the holidays...
Old 06-03-2003, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
after seeing everyone's responses, i finally remembered the absolute worst. i think i repressed the memories b/c of how terrible it was.
i worked in a factory for a shipping company doing pick n' pack work. i had to pick n' pack victoria secret underwear and bras. you'd think this was cool, but no. after seeing 5000 of the same type of underwear in a day, it's not cute anymore. there were a couple of really bad parts to the job.
1. worked on concrete floors with no mats to stand on = extremely sore legs and back.
2. i worked with some of the most ghetto people you will ever meet. like, worked their for a couple of weeks so they wouldn't have their lights turned off. then quit.
i only worked their for about a month before i was let go. i hated it so much that i would blow it off. come in late, call off. and that's not at all like me.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 06-03-2003, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

ah, i didn't do exactly telemarketing, but i worked for a firm who was hired to do surveys and i was a caller for them! the surveys were valid, for example i would call people in a certain parish (we don't have counties in good-ole-LA) and ask about school board issues. but, people were often so rude and i hated having to call strangers and be rejected! i hated that job.

i don't think i've ever had a *best* job, but my current one is ok =) i work in an entomology lab, so i deal with insects! it's really not all that exciting, but it's always a good conversation piece.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

My worst job is probably a tie between working at a mortgage company selling mobile home mortgages to people, primarily in Texas, who didn't speak a lick of English, and the restaurant job where I was sexually harassed by a manager My best job is probably the one I'm at now, my first real job after college graduation. Decent pay, good people to work with, great boss, close to home. Can't beat it
Old 06-03-2003, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moxie
ah, i didn't do exactly telemarketing, but i worked for a firm who was hired to do surveys and i was a caller for them! the surveys were valid, for example i would call people in a certain parish (we don't have counties in good-ole-LA) and ask about school board issues. but, people were often so rude and i hated having to call strangers and be rejected! i hated that job.
I am actually doing this now. I work for a research facility, that is located at the University, though not part of it. We do survey's for other universities, our own school, people who have grants, basically, anyone. But we on't sell anything!! At first I hated it, it's hard to call up complete strangers, whether they know you will be calling of not (sometimes we send out mail to let hem know we'll be calling). I have been hung up on more times than I can count, I have had the biggest array of really rude people, from Illinois to Missisippi, to my own home state. There are some people out there, no matter how many times you tell them othewise, think that you are just out to sell them something, steal their information, or just plain mess with them. But the pay is good, I set my own hours, and we all get to complain between calls about these horrible people. I have been asked if I am a machine, told to get a real job, pretty much molested via phone, I've heard it all, and at the end of a shift, I just laugh it off and think how silly it all is.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquastar
Hummmm ...
Working at the biggest grocery store in the area (the store which is far too small for all the people that shop there) on Thanksgiving ... yea ... that kinda sucked

But I later got to work there in the courtesy booth ... count money ... sell scratch tix ... count money ... goof off ... count money hehe ... oh and listen to customers yell ... but it wasnt THAT bad
UMass
Amherst

"Its tradition ... and you don't monkey with tradition!"
Old 06-04-2003, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My best job is that I am a nanny for the summer. I live with the parents rent free . I watch only one kid and he's 5 yrs.old. I get the weekends off. All I have to do is take him to school, make sure that he does his homework, fix breakfast (sometimes) and lunch, start dinner. I get to play all day with a 5 yr old, that's love.

The worst job is the one that I will have back in the fall when school starts. Our night manager is a pain in the butt to work with. She yells at the kids for no reason. Doesn't help to get dinner ready , she only gets her plate ready. Doesn't have a calender for us other co-workers to go by of what to do for the night. All she does is sits on the computer and plays games all night long. And then complains about how much she isn't getting paid. Maybe if she would do some actual work she would get paid more.