GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,545
1 members and 1,544 guests
No Members online

Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Night - feedback welcome

Hey maids,

After years on GC, and seeing somewhat of of a need in my community, I am considering the following idea as a service to my old high school. The school is predominately black with a growing Latino population, and generally 0 percent white/Asian/Native.

"Greek Night"

Graduating seniors and their parents would be invited to an informational meeting organized by Greek alumni of the school. It would have like one keynote speaker and a few other speakers, perhaps speaking about the history of fraternities and sororities, their purpose, how recruitment/rush/intake works.

Then the various organizations in attendance could have informational tables in the back, so after the formal speeches were over, they could pick up brochures, see photos of service, etc.

Here are my objectives:
  • Inform students prior to enrolling in college that they don't have to be hazed in order to join anything
  • To expose the students to NPHC, NPC, NALFO, NMGC, and NIC orgs (informed decisions)
  • Provide a service opportunity for alumni of my high school who are in GLOs

Does this make sense? I know such things may be common for NPC women, but they are not for NPHC orgs. I would include representatives from both, if they were interested.

Thoughts? Please note that if I have a response/question does not mean I am attacking your idea.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

As a teacher I think it's a great idea. There is still a great deal of misinformation out there about Greek life, especially in regard to hazing. I have had students tell me that they really would like to join a fraternity or sorority but they don't want to be hazed.

I also think that in high school, community service opportunities are easily available and well promoted because students need it for scholarship apps. If parents were made aware how much community service is performed at the collegiate level, I think they might be more supportive of Greek life.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Banned

This will probably work for your bourgeoisie high school.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Hey maids,
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LMAO

But yes, it sounds great.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
As a teacher I think it's a great idea. There is still a great deal of misinformation out there about Greek life, especially in regard to hazing. I have had students tell me that they really would like to join a fraternity or sorority but they don't want to be hazed.

I also think that in high school, community service opportunities are easily available and well promoted because students need it for scholarship apps. If parents were made aware how much community service is performed at the collegiate level, I think they might be more supportive of Greek life.
Gotcha.... so we will definitely need to make sure the service component is stressed, for everyone's sake, but particularly the parents. Good stuff!

Quote:
I'm sorry that you seem to have attended Good Times High.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
LOL

LMAO

But yes, it sounds great.
Thanks! Our little facebook group is popping now and they're already angling for a planning meeting.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I'm sorry that you seem to have attended Good Times High.
(Wiping tears of joy from my eyes) GreekChat is so much more fun when Sen and DrPhil are here.

I don't have any real feedback for you, but I do think that it sounds like a great idea. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I like it!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like a good idea, as I work with college students who have NO idea about greek life and end up either a. not pursuing it at all or b. go about pursuing it all the wrong way or c. end up making up their own orgs because no inter/national organizations exists on campus.

Also, commuter students don't always consider greek life and not living on a campus in the same thought, so if you're doing this at a high school where students are likely to attend local schools without a residential campus, something to point out.

Lastly, if you do a service project, try to encourage orgs to collaborate on said projects so students arent necessarily attending XYZ's community service event. I think of it in the vein that NPC uses Rho Chis to lead groups during rush so impressions of the greeks they meet are somewhat neutral.

Because, you know, the students will have already identified said greeks by their letters.

Last edited by tld221; 07-19-2013 at 06:21 PM.