GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,070
0 members and 1,070 guests
No Members online

Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

ole miss rush gpa question!

For Ole miss rush, i know there is not a gpa limit to go through rush but it sounds like you will be cut if you have below a 3.0? is there anyone who goes or went to ole miss or knows a lot about this that could help me out? my high school weighted (i took some ap and honors classes) is a 4.04 and i thought that was good, but my flat gpa is a 2.91 and to my understanding that is what sororities see and use? do they even consider that i took ap and honors classes and that my school gpa is good or would i be cut because my gpa is not a 3.0 or more? is there anything i can do or will i be cut? thank you, let me know! it's just frustrating because most of the classes i struggled with were ap or honors level and i feel like putting my gpa on the flat 4.0 scale does not give me the credit for what i worked hard for.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madiparks94 View Post
For Ole miss rush, i know there is not a gpa limit to go through rush but it sounds like you will be cut if you have below a 3.0? is there anyone who goes or went to ole miss or knows a lot about this that could help me out? my high school weighted (i took some ap and honors classes) is a 4.04 and i thought that was good, but my flat gpa is a 2.91 and to my understanding that is what sororities see and use? do they even consider that i took ap and honors classes and that my school gpa is good or would i be cut because my gpa is not a 3.0 or more? is there anything i can do or will i be cut? thank you, let me know! it's just frustrating because most of the classes i struggled with were ap or honors level and i feel like putting my gpa on the flat 4.0 scale does not give me the credit for what i worked hard for.
I am sorry, but an organization's minimum required GPA is not something that we discuss. That is private membership selection information. If you have already graduated, there is nothing that you can do about it now.

Get your recs sent in ASAP and prepare for rush conversation and questions. Your rec writers can include comments about your AP & honors classes. Good luck and hotty toddy!!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The Greek Life office at Ole Miss is better equipped to answer this question for you as they are the ones who vet your GPA and give that information to the sororities. Call, do not email, the sorority adviser there and that will be your best information.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Go through rush and don't worry about it. At this point there is nothing you can do about it anyway. As ThetaLady said, focus on the things you can do something about, which is a lot. Your conversation skills count for a lot more than you probably think. Particularly in the early rounds, being memorable (in a good way only!) is at least as important as a stellar GPA.

To sort of answer your question, each sorority has a gpa that below which they can't accept you, and they have no say about that. But there is a range of gpas that might put you on a bubble, and that's where all the other issues (resume, personality, appearance, etc.) become really important. But remember, the girl with the 4.0 (unweighted) who is a dud is definitely not getting invited back, so while grades are important, they aren't everything.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

For admissions, I believe Ole Miss goes on the unweighted GPA and does not recalculate to add bonus points for AP and honors classes. You can verify that with admissions, but I believe the 2.9 is what will be reported to Greek Life. Still, you've been given great advice here...plus according to the Ole Miss Panhellenic site, a 2.9 puts you in the "yellow zone," meaning you will be more likely to get GPA-based cuts than someone at 3.0 or above; however, you still aren't in their "red zone" (below 2.8) where the site says you're very likely to receive GPA-based cuts. Honestly, I've known several Ole Miss PNMs over the past few recruitments and some with higher GPA's said they had more difficult weeks than some whose numbers were more towards the lower end. Recruitment can be crazy and unpredictable! Put your best self out there and be open minded.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's what Ole Miss Greek Life has to say in their FAQ:http://dos.orgsync.com/org/umgreeks/npcfaqs
Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, OP, go to Google, put in the search box: Ole Miss Rush Recruitment. The results will be threads that will cover almost anything you need to ask. Those also include information that helps you avoid outing yourself on the Internet.