GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,330
0 members and 1,330 guests
No Members online

Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Missing Bid Day

So, bid day at my school is Thursday. I have a class that conflicts with it and will cause me to miss a good chunk of it. Any advice on this? I want to know what kind of stuff I'd be missing out on, and whether it would be worth it to take a miss in the class, or leave early. I obviously am not crazy about the idea of missing bid day!

Also, another question...my rho chis had me fill out a form for the bid day conflict, just to notify the sorority that I'm not skipping when I don't show up right away. That shouldn't affect my chance of getting a bid with my first preference, should it? I was told not, but I need to hear what GC has to say!

Thanks in advance y'all.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Filling out the form is not going to make a difference in whether you get a bid, they probably just want to know you won't be there so your sorority can set aside a shirt and stuff for you (and so the chapter doesn't assume you declined when you don't show up).

Bid Day is pretty exciting. I don't know how UNC does things, but we usually had cake, food, music, and Bid Day photos!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-08-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Filling out the form shouldn't affect you receiving a bid.

Bid day is a great chance to meet your pledge class. Just make sure you can stop by for a bit. Also make sure you attend other pledge events
Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We always had a few that missed Bid Day. We told them to show up after class, and regardless, their dorm doors were always decorated and their goody bags waiting.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The form should not affect your chances but I would go as soon as you are done with class so you can start bonding with your chapter.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Reach out, even if you can't get there!

All class activities are typically "excused" as a matter of course.

However, be sure you have all your bases covered -- sure, fill out the form. But don't rely on a form to speak for you. If you can't be there to get your bid card, ask the Greek Life director if there is some way to get that bid card to you. If you can't get to the house at ALL on Thursday, you should email your new Chapter President and let her know personally that you are very excited and eager to meet everyone. This will help pave your way nicely. Then find out who your VP-New Member Education is and connect with her the same way. They'll be a bit worried that you're sick, if you're a flat-out no show!

All of that said, most Bid Day activities go on for a while. As in, you could be there until ten or later, just hanging out. Some chapters stay in for the night, others have sister activities like ice skating or bowling. If you can find out where they ARE, you may be able to catch up with them after class.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

From what TarHeelHoney has posted about swine flu, you should be glad you are missing it for that reason! Good Luck UNClei
Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Sickness

Yes, the sick-due to absence lists were 20+ for preference. Of course not all 20 are going to the same houses so it's really only a couple for each house, but it's also the first time I've EVER seen a chapter seriously and actively choose to keep absent girls. The chapters are taking the flu very seriously! When you have 40+ girls living in close quarters and another hundred-plus in the facility every day, it could spread very quickly.