Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,533
0 members and 1,533 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree with this.

I am glad you finally came out and said that we're allowed to blow sunshine up everyone's butt but are not allowed to offer honest opinions. What in the hell is the point of that?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Please note that there are TWO threads - one pro and one con. Equal time for both sides. I wanted a record of everyone's thoughts on the matter, that's all. People can read them, then decide if they want to post. I'm sorry if you don't agree with the concept. Please remove my quote from your sig.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I misunderstood the point of your threads -- I thought you were saying that your quote in my signature is the new rule in this forum. Is that not the case?

ETA: Does your question whether we're "for" or "against" AI refer to whether we're in favor of or opposed to AI in general or only in terms of this forum?

Last edited by valkyrie; 09-28-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
I misunderstood the point of your threads -- I thought you were saying that your quote in my signature is the new rule in this forum. Is that not the case?
That rule applies only to the 2 threads in question(pro AI and con AI).

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't understand the goal of the pro and con threads. What good does it do to have people proclaim themselves to be pro or con ai? And, why do we have to separate the two into separate threads that cannot co-exist? This is the exact point of my threads. Debate is frowned upon. Why aren't people allowed to debate the issue? Why do we have to segregate them?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

The problem is that whether you're in favor of AI as a concept has nothing to do with Greekchat. I think AI is great in appropriate circumstances, but I think it's awful when freaks find out about it on GC and people encourage them. So I can't say whether I'm "pro" or "con" AI, because it depends on the situation.

I am opposed to having this forum on GC.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
I wanted a record of everyone's thoughts on the matter, that's all. People can read them, then decide if they want to post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
I don't understand the goal of the pro and con threads. What good does it do to have people proclaim themselves to be pro or con ai? And, why do we have to separate the two into separate threads that cannot co-exist? This is the exact point of my threads. Debate is frowned upon. Why aren't people allowed to debate the issue? Why do we have to segregate them?
See my quote above.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
See my quote above.
So, you're just wanting a roll call of posters? What purpose does that serve other than to pre-judge the validity of a poster's views?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It's asking the wrong question. It's like saying "are you pro or con abortion?" Whether you support a woman's right to have an abortion if she chooses is a completely different question from whether you are pro or con abortion -- you can be completely opposed to abortion but still support another woman's right to have one.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it pre-judges anything. The people posting to these threads are already on record as being for or against AI. All someone has to do is read through the postings on GC to find out that information. I'm just putting in all in one place for everyone to see.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's asking the wrong question. It's like saying "are you pro or con abortion?" Whether you support a woman's right to have an abortion if she chooses is a completely different question from whether you are pro or con abortion -- you can be completely opposed to abortion but still support another woman's right to have one.
then post in both threads. Some folks already have.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think it pre-judges anything. The people posting to these threads are already on record as being for or against AI. All someone has to do is read through the postings on GC to find out that information. I'm just putting in all in one place for everyone to see.
Why does anyone care whether or not someone is pro-AI or con-AI unless they are using it in the context of determining the validity of the post? Why do we need a thread stating our opinion on the subject? Why not allow discussion on the topic? That's the point.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

There is no 'valid' or 'invallid' argument. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. That is the only point.

You want to go ahead and start a thread to argue the point of pro vs con? Go ahead. As long as it doesn't get personal, the thread will stay put.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Barbara, you're missing the point here. With all of the recent thread deletions going on here, people are starting to feel like we can't disagree with anyone on anything or else our posts will be deleted. You may think that you are encouraging us to express our opinions, but by creating two separate threads that basically just serve as a roll-call, you are only sending out the message that opposing opinions are inappropriate or aren't tolerated.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is no 'valid' or 'invallid' argument. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. That is the only point.

You want to go ahead and start a thread to argue the point of pro vs con? Go ahead. As long as it doesn't get personal, the thread will stay put.
Tell that to your favorite poster. Seems like the personal attacks come whenever someone disagrees with her.