GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,247
5 members and 1,242 guests
John, Zach

Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

YAY! Can't wait!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank goodness!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprocess View Post
UGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So sorry guys!!! I have commited the standard GC Crime that I often rant about! Not updating in a timely DETAILED fashion! I was supposed to update last night, but I suck at life and went on a random trip with friends (friends? or sisters? you will find out soon ) to get mexican food (why we drove 45 min for mexican food when there is mexican food right around the corner was a mystery to us).

WILL BE UPDATED WITHIN THE NEXT 4 HOURS!!!!!
It must be sisters because it's sisters that LOVE to make those random trips for no good reason! Come back soon!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref.... continued

As I walked to Serena, I remembered what the group leader said before we got our schedule (I wasn't totally paying attention to her since I was so worried about my schedule). She told us, If we made it this far that the houses that are on our schedules really want us to be sisters. So it was kind of our decision where we wanted to be. I was happy to hear that and I decided to make sure serena know that I loved them (i had been very low key to them.... like when they would tell me that Jessie was saying amazing things about me, I was like "awwwww she is so cool.".... I didnt want to make myself look like a phsyco and be like "YAYAYAYAYAY I love her!!!!".... so i kept it very low key)

Serena- I got to the door very excited. I hung out with the PNM's (pledge sisters? ) The doors opened and serena came out singing. It was beautiful. One by one, each active called a PNM and said something special about them. THEN JESSIE CAME DOWN..... ANDDDDD

CALLED MY NAMEEE!!!!!

she said " I do not think I laughed as much as I ever have then when I was with this lady. She is absolutely hilarious and I am proud to see her today"

We walked in and she asked how I was doing. I said I was so happy to be at Serena and that I was so nervous all morning. She seated me next to a girl I had met from day 1. I talked to her about how much I adored the girls at Serena. I told her that I loved the house and that they were my number one choice. I asked her for her time during recruitment and She said she loved serena so much that she actually suicided serena. I told her about how the group leaders really wanted us to rank all the houses we got on our list. She said that it is true-- that you should, but the choice is the PNM's. Then I told her about the hot guy that walked by my apartment every morning and how I wanted to take him to one of the sorority events (date party/formal). We laughed. Jessie walked back to us and switched. I decided I want to have a more serious conversation with her since our last conversation was so funny and light-hearted. We talked about how we both had recently broke up with our boyfriends from back home. I told her that it sucked going on facebook and myspace because I he had one and it was hard to not go on his page to see what he has been up to. She understood and just told me that it was hard, but that it gets easier. We heard a bell which cued everyone to go to this one room for a speech. When it was done, I met back with Jessie and we had that awkward "we are walking to the door, but it is too loud to talk so have random short talk" conversation. I left and felt more closer to this group of girls than ever.

Marissa- Still stunned by Serena, I walked to Marissa. I didnt really make an effort to talk to the PNM's. The party started and they didnt call us out individually and say anythin special. We didnt even get matched up with ppl that we met before! it was ust like any other rush party. I was not very happy with that. After I got seated, I sat and just listened to the girl I was sitting with. She asked me how I liked recruitment, and i blurted it out "I have loved recruitment, but I am glad it is comming to an end. So many nerves man!!! I am just glad that I found my home. You know how everyone's been saying that you'll get that feeling when you find it? they arent kidding! I loved Serena the second I went in. I definitely cannot wait for tomorro." She was so taken back. I knew she would be. So I decided to ask her about her recruitment story and then just sit. At the end of her story she said "I have head about you from so many girls and we really like you." In my head i thought-- which girls?!??! I can't think of one that i even remember other than the girl that my friend from back home was with. But I decided not to say that. I just nodded. After she said that, We just kind of sat around and looked around. Luckily the bell sounded and we heard a speech. I looked around at the beautiful PNM's and thought, they are going to have a really good pledge class. walked out.

I sat in a room and tried to figure out if I should suicide or list them both. my group leader told me that it was best to list them both. She told me that in a wierd way it makes my chances of getting into Serena better (i.e. if I am not in serena's bid list--and i suicided-- that I would automatically be dropped from recruitment. If i list them both and if serena didnt get all the girls from their bid list, they will work from their other list and I could only be on the other list if I list all the houses. I will clarify if you guys need)

Because of this I wrote

1) Serena
2) Marissa

I went to bed confident and amazed. Soon I will be wearing these gorgeous letters that I SOOOOO adore!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
MORE MORE MORE!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Well worth the wait! But I dont want to wait anymore for the rest...
Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

"Marissa had a stereotype of being pre-dominantly asian. I did not notice it at all my first year because I was blind to it (I never got the chance to hear the stereotypes). However, now that I knew it exsisted, i saw it. I would say about 85% (not true stats at all) were asian. And what makes it worse was that there was one group of caucasions (like 5-6 girls) in the sorority that you could tell were only friends with each other. It was this wierd segregation and it did not make me feel good."

I'm Asian and I joined a "Caucasian" sorority. My sorority sisters were about 90% blonde. I understand your need to be brutally honest and your desire for a house that is diverse but your comment was a little contradictory to what you want. I also don't understand where you assumed that the few "Caucasians" in the house meant that the women were only friends with eachother. How can you ASSUME anything when you're not a member of the house. If a person wants a diverse house than what does it mean if a house is predominantly Caucasian? I have a feeling I know what you were trying to say but if you wanted to be brutally honest you would say that you did not want a house that was predominantly Asian. That is an honest statement and one that I can respect. I will assume that your rush took place in California. I went to school in the south and was the only Asian in my sorority but I chose the house based on the girls that I met because I was "clueless" about rush & the different ranks. I hope your story is a happy one but your reaction to "Marissa" was a little off putting. You don't even want to give it a chance based on the fact that it's predominantly Asian.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI

NYC2008, we try to take these recruitment stories at face value and just relax and let the story roll...no need for lectures or chastising the OP
Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2008 View Post
"Marissa had a stereotype of being pre-dominantly asian. I did not notice it at all my first year because I was blind to it (I never got the chance to hear the stereotypes). However, now that I knew it exsisted, i saw it. I would say about 85% (not true stats at all) were asian. And what makes it worse was that there was one group of caucasions (like 5-6 girls) in the sorority that you could tell were only friends with each other. It was this wierd segregation and it did not make me feel good."

I'm Asian and I joined a "Caucasian" sorority. My sorority sisters were about 90% blonde. I understand your need to be brutally honest and your desire for a house that is diverse but your comment was a little contradictory to what you want. I also don't understand where you assumed that the few "Caucasians" in the house meant that the women were only friends with eachother. How can you ASSUME anything when you're not a member of the house. If a person wants a diverse house than what does it mean if a house is predominantly Caucasian? I have a feeling I know what you were trying to say but if you wanted to be brutally honest you would say that you did not want a house that was predominantly Asian. That is an honest statement and one that I can respect. I will assume that your rush took place in California. I went to school in the south and was the only Asian in my sorority but I chose the house based on the girls that I met because I was "clueless" about rush & the different ranks. I hope your story is a happy one but your reaction to "Marissa" was a little off putting. You don't even want to give it a chance based on the fact that it's predominantly Asian.
eek. Clearly this is a RETRO recruitment thread, and clearly the OP has been BRUTALLY HONEST throughout it. She is even very open about other superficial factors she was looking at. I think we've all matured quite a bit since the days when we were all PNMs.

Coming from a Greek system that actually might be the OP's, if not very similar, I know exactly what she's talking about. She also is going through this second recruitment as a sophomore, so she has observed Marissa over the course of the year and stated that she saw cliques in action (not just during recruitment). It's not really a PC thing for her to admit, but she's being honest, and she apparently would have honestly felt like an outsider in a predominantly Asian house. And for the record, it sounds like the house she was describing wasn't very diverse at all, in fact it sounds pretty homogenous.

Just my two cents.....

On with the story!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2008 View Post

As I said before, I am a sophomore. So I obviousily went to party's where the greek community were present (I actually have a funny story to say about one party that i will post in another post). I was very weary of Marissa at Party's. Since they were my #1 my freshman year, I definitely looked at them and their actions a lot more during parties i went to. Again, like i believe i have already mentioned I went to a party where the caucasians in the sorority arrived at the party together and the asians arrived together. They never really hung out together. The Ryans--on the other hand all kinda hung out in one big blob of them (despite their age difference).

I would apprechiate if you edited your post and please take out the location you mentioned. Though you are incorrect, I would still like to reveal the location and names on my own time for purposes (which I will reveal--again at my own time). Afterall, this is my GC thread and I have the right to reveal what i want when i want. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Funny Party Story

Ok, So if this is completely not PC on GC, Please let me know and i will delete it.

At one party I went to my freshman year at a frat (remember, I was not in a house my freshman year), i remember being upstairs. I was walking the halls of the frat house going into some of my guy friends rooms (that was where hard alcohol was/you did not have to wait in line for a beer). I was about to go back downstairs to meet with my other friends when one of the fraternity brothers ran down the hall yelling "CLOSE YOUR DOORS!!! CLOSE YOUR DOORS!!!! GAMMA IS HERE!!!!! CLOSE YOUR DOORS!!!!"

In my head I thought, "Man, why don't these guys like the Gamma sorority geeeeezzzzz?"

I finally figured out that they were not talking about a sorority
Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
FYI

NYC2008, we try to take these recruitment stories at face value and just relax and let the story roll...no need for lectures or chastising the OP
She's new. This recruitment story may very well be the first GC thread she's read.

She's entitled to her lecture just like you're entitled to yours.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprocess View Post

I would apprechiate if you edited your post and please take out the location you mentioned. Though you are incorrect, I would still like to reveal the location and names on my own time for purposes (which I will reveal--again at my own time). Afterall, this is my GC thread and I have the right to reveal what i want when i want. Thank you.
Why should she have to edit it? If she's really incorrect, what's the problem?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

aprocess -
You've done a wonderful job on this thread, and I can't wait to read the outcome! I loved that you have been honest with your perceptions and views. We all are human, and often have less than p.c. perceptions, but they are, none the less, our true experience. In a thread like this they really do help readers feel and understand your recruitment environment. Thanks for being honest...
Now FINISH IT!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Why should she have to edit it? If she's really incorrect, what's the problem?

Because I say so and I am the President of the world. duh.