Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,513
2 members and 1,511 guests
UW_dawg, Xidelt

Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Lindsey as a male name is more common in the UK than the US. Ashley too.
Ashley too? Seriously? I guess Lindsey Buckingham is from the UK. His last name is a dead give away. I'm starting to see more women named "Lindsey" rather than "Lindsay." Knowing that there are some guys with my name but spelled with "sey" makes me glad that I spell mine with "say".
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't say no to a Julio, but it IS a lot different than Julia thankfully Only confusing in writing, though a lot of my friends do call me "Hulia" haha
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaj View Post
I wouldn't say no to a Julio, but it IS a lot different than Julia thankfully Only confusing in writing, though a lot of my friends do call me "Hulia" haha
What about Julian?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I suppose mine (well shortened version) is somewhat gender neutral. It wouldnt bother me.

My current boyfriend has a female name as his last name, so if we get married I'll have two womens names for first and last.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I've only met one other girl with the same first name as me, though it's almost everyone's middle name it seems. That's one of the reasons I like it...I don't get mixed up with anyone, by name at least. Though it's a more common name in another language so I get called by that instead of my given name a lot. I don't even bother to correct people anymore. (I just don't want to post it because anyone from my school could already figure me out, but my name would make it way easier than it needs to be).

ETA: It really is a strictly female name, though I suppose there are a few male names that are close enough that it would be weird.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

The shortened form of my middle name is non-gender specific. I'd have no problem dating someone with that name (if I were to date). My first name is seriously feminine, though, and in that case, no way.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I would just be way too creeped out. Even if I had a gender neutral name I don't think I could do it.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a completely gender neutral name, but it's more common in girls in the US and in boys in England. But really, it's not that common in either case.

I knew a woman who's last name was Hanson and she married a guy who's last name was Hansen. And she went through the hassle of getting a name change!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 AM

Tangent:

I used to work with a woman whose last name was Goodman. She was engaged, and her fiancé was also named Goodman. Some of her coworkers teased her mercilessly, as did some of their vendors: "So, are you going to take his name?" "Is this call in regard to the Goodman/Goodman wedding?"
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Awww heck, The Talker has a gender neutral name.. Adrian. I keep hearing Sylvester Stallone (from Rocky) in my head.. "ADRIAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN"
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

My name is gender-neutral; although the male spelling is completely different and usually it's used as a nickname anyway. So, it wouldn't bother me--it wouldn't be a turn-on, and it would be more funny than anything else.

One of my family members, whose last name is Jones, married a woman whose last name is also Jones. Tee hee.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Tangent:

I used to work with a woman whose last name was Goodman. She was engaged, and her fiancé was also named Goodman. Some of her coworkers teased her mercilessly, as did some of their vendors: "So, are you going to take his name?" "Is this call in regard to the Goodman/Goodman wedding?"
I went to high school with a guy and a girl who were best friends and their last names were both "Davey". They ended up getting married and they had a lot of that, too.

I also went to school with a girl whose last name was "Sandy". Turns out her mom's first name was "Sandra", so her mom's name was basically "Sandy Sandy". I don't think I could deal with that.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
I went to high school with a guy and a girl who were best friends and their last names were both "Davey". They ended up getting married and they had a lot of that, too.

I also went to school with a girl whose last name was "Sandy". Turns out her mom's first name was "Sandra", so her mom's name was basically "Sandy Sandy". I don't think I could deal with that.
One of my friends has an aunt whose name is Sandy. She married a guy with the last name Beach

@~/~~~~
Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I think my only name objection would have been a guy with the last name of Rabbit. Bad enough my maiden name started with R, had double consonants in the middle, and when put with the nickname of my first name was the name of a band In a mid-90s sitcom.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
One of my friends has an aunt whose name is Sandy. She married a guy with the last name Beach
I know a Sandy Beach! I'm just surprised that her sisters weren't Coco and Pebble. I also knew a Sandy Brandi (wow - I had completely forgotten about her!).

A man I knew used to say that, if he ever dated someone whose name was Linda, Melinda, or Belinda, he would insist that she keep her maiden name. His last name is Kokinda. I guess Lucinda would be in that group, too.

And then there are monograms that spell words!