GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,499
0 members and 1,499 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
EVERY chapter of every GLO has dirty laundry.

There are mechanisms to deal with it like Standards.

What you never do is air your dirty laundry (unless it's something your'e required to do by HQ rules, the law, etc.)
In a word, DUH. Every chapter has dirty laundry. Yes, I would want to address the one who leaked it via standards, but again, not knowing the chapter culture, the member could have not felt that this was a viable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Honestly yes. Just because there is a strongly worded letter like Kevin said you don't know what is acceptable for their culture. I can see this being an acceptable form of critique for a group of college aged girls. Sometimes you need to yell and scream at people to get them to do things. This was strongly worded indeed, but I'm sure it got the message across and ended whatever issues there were. The person who leaked it however ruined this girls life (more so that is was). Ruining someones life is quite a bid deal IMO.
There is not an NPC organization that will deem this as an acceptable culture for any of their chapters. Period. As typical, you're conflating what you know of your fraternity life with sorority experience. It's apples and oranges.

The issues dealing with participation and enthusiasm for chapter events that the woman was trying to address are not unusual for chapters of sororities anywhere. If the only way that a leader can motivate others is to curse at them, call them names, and generally be derogatory, then the wrong person has been given a leadership role.

This ended no issues; it only made existing issues exponentially worse. I don't believe this girl's life is ruined in any shape or form. However, she has no one to blame for any repercussions she may experience but herself. She could have effectively expressed the same sentiments in other effective ways.

It still reads to me as a bid for a job on a reality show or as a writer, etc. I hear a bit of Jen Lancaster and Tucker Max in the tone.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
The "culture" of their chapter? Really? It is NEVER acceptable for anyone to talk to another human being this way. NEVER. I'm not too worried about this vapid and shallow little girl's life being ruined. Something tells me she will be fine after this period of humiliation dies down and will go on being her obnoxious and important self.
You seem to not deal with the same collegians many of us deal with. Language like this doesn't occur on our FB group and certainly wouldn't be condoned, but if it happened, I'd probably want to give the writer a high 5 for some awesomely hilarious writing (because it really is funny as hell), but we'd have a discussion about how social media is forever and things like this don't always stay in-house (remember that DG from UM?)

Not knowing the context, the email could be a satirical, ironic pep talk in the middle of Greek Week. We just don't know. Now if every word of that was heart felt and she meant to truly imply her sisters were terrible people, etc., that's quite another thing, but again, it's Delta Gamma's business.

Quote:
No one should air dirty laundry, but it is highly unlikely that anyone from the chapter forwarded this email to the press.
Someone forwarded it out of house. I doubt the sharer even had malicious intent. The email was hilarious and was likely shared for that reason.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought it was horribly tacky and inappropriate, and I didn't find it to be funny at all. I know my daughter's chapter would never send anything like this. I'm sure the members of the chapter I advise would never send out anything like this. If this wasn't an aberration and unusual behavior, it wouldn't have been leaked and blown up like it did.

What I found ironic was that the whole point of the email was to encourage positive PR and fraternal relations...and this email blew up because it did just the opposite.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It is discussed on the national Facebook page.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
You have to admit "Give me a nickel and I'll tickle your pickle" is pretty clever
Old 04-19-2013, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
Damn. What a shame. Good for the national group for responding quickly.
Has EO responded? I haven't seen a statement.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
Has EO responded? I haven't seen a statement.
It's on their FB page and has been since yesterday.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Haha, NOW there's a little more spunk in the thread! I mean, really, who DIDN'T have this girl in their chapter? We all can picture a face on this email from any year, any decade. But these kids need a big old slap of reality about (a) putting every feeling they have every moment in all its vitriolic glory in writing, and (b) putting it in an electronic format. The internetz are forever and they are mean. And to be honest, this little girl in particular, based on her Twitter history in addition to this email gem, just needed a big old slap to cut the crap out. Heather Chandler threw a hissy when her friend puked at a Remington party and we all know how things worked out for her.

I also don't blame the supposed someone who "leaked" it - God knows how and how fast this got around before it landed at Gawker or whoever posted it first. I for sure would have forwarded that email just to share the hilarity of her complete over-the-topness with friends. Once that first person hits "forward" (and I bet a bunch of girls hit that forward button), it belongs to the world. The intertubes are fast and did I mention they're mean?

And HI! everyone who remembered me! I wondered if I'd been away too long, but you're right agzg, this story got me all types of reminiscent for GC - that was just pure gold from that young lady's dainty fingertips!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

When sorority life reaches the point where a letter like this is considered appropriate for any chapter's culture, I will no longer identify myself as a sorority woman or encourage any woman to join a sorority.

As far as the woman who leaked it, maybe she was tired of being verbally abused. That's what this is. There is no other way to spin it. And if this writer is an example of the chapter leadership and how they handle things, I can see why the letter was leaked.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

From the Maryland student newspaper.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/new...a4bcf6878.html
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And what? Do you have a problem with a planetary company that does G℞ΣΣΚ LΣΤΤΣ℞ΦΠG?
HA! It's all over the place - ack! And hiiiiiiiiiiii MC!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat58 View Post
From the Maryland student newspaper.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/new...a4bcf6878.html
That poor Communications Director can't be having a good week.

On the plus side, pretty house.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
WHY oh WHY did anyone think that was a good idea?? A HOMELESS theme?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Ugggh...my alma mater...not cool.

ETA: A great response from IU on Strike.

Last edited by Sister Havana; 04-20-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
Ugggh...my alma mater...not cool.

ETA: A great response from IU on Strike.
Great article and very well said.