» Online Users: 935
1 members and 934 guests
PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
What are the positive stereotypes associated with each org?
As far as I'm concerned "stereotype" usually doesn't allow for positivity. Even something like "they are the pretty girls" or "those guys are good in bed" or "they are the smart ones" is negative because 1) the average person in that org isn't "pretty" or "good in bed" or "smart" (by average standards) and 2) that implies a deficit in the other groups.

Now, generalizations that are based on people's observations are understandable. But my generalizations based on my observations would defy what many of the folks on this board believe to be true. Lastly, generalizations based on the demographic info our orgs publish are the most valid because they tend not to be based on seemingly superficial and subjective criteria.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:58 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I'm not sure I understand you on this one. Can you please explain?
i am going to go on and use black and non-black to differentiate between the sororities...

well, when you hear about the non-black sororities, like the girls on the "girls gone wild" video, we pretty much all think of the same "type" of girl. there may be some black girls on there, ive never really felt the need to watch...but from what i hear my non-black coworkers say about the non-black sorority girls, its she is a lush/freak/takes her top off/sleeps around. later, these same girls clean up nice and have a tea party. eventually, nobody mentions the fact that "Barbara" who is in her 40's now used to be that same alcoholic topless wonder. she "outgrew" her sorority ways, settled down, had some kids and bought a house.

now, my godmother, who is an XYZ, is still being considered stuck up/prissy/etc. even though she pledged XYZ back in '77. she is a professional educated woman with a family now...why should she still be stereotyped because of the type of sorority she pledged? im not talking about the stereotypes that could be considered positive, please group me with smart/pretty/popular people anytime!

why is it that the D9 stereotypes that stick and that people remember are the negative ones? shouldnt it be the same all across the board?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
As far as I'm concerned "stereotype" usually doesn't allow for positivity. Even something like "they are the pretty girls" or "those guys are good in bed" or "they are the smart ones" is negative because 1) the average person in that org isn't "pretty" or "good in bed" or "smart" (by average standards) and 2) that implies a deficit in the other groups.

Now, generalizations that are based on people's observations are understandable. But my generalizations based on my observations would defy what many of the folks on this board believe to be true. Lastly, generalizations based on the demographic info our orgs publish are the most valid because they tend not to be based on seemingly superficial and subjective criteria.

Are you referring to SGRho's or NPHC members in general? It's not about the generalizations that are based on one person's observations but rather it's the generalizations that are based on the observations of many that will probably have some truth to it. This of course depends on how many are included in the "many." For example, a poll or survey taken on one campus, area, or region may tell you something about the "truth" that exists on a specific campus, area, or region, but this of course is not necessarily the whole story since the "many" does not extend to the rest of the nation and beyond. That's why overall, it's better to stay away from generalizations and stereotypes...both can be negative and very untrue overall. Although saying something positive is always better than saying something negative if people are going to talk...and they ARE going to talk.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you referring to SGRho's or NPHC members in general?
NPHC members, in general.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
i am going to go on and use black and non-black to differentiate between the sororities...

well, when you hear about the non-black sororities, like the girls on the "girls gone wild" video, we pretty much all think of the same "type" of girl. there may be some black girls on there, ive never really felt the need to watch...but from what i hear my non-black coworkers say about the non-black sorority girls, its she is a lush/freak/takes her top off/sleeps around. later, these same girls clean up nice and have a tea party. eventually, nobody mentions the fact that "Barbara" who is in her 40's now used to be that same alcoholic topless wonder. she "outgrew" her sorority ways, settled down, had some kids and bought a house.

now, my godmother, who is an XYZ, is still being considered stuck up/prissy/etc. even though she pledged XYZ back in '77. she is a professional educated woman with a family now...why should she still be stereotyped because of the type of sorority she pledged? im not talking about the stereotypes that could be considered positive, please group me with smart/pretty/popular people anytime!

why is it that the D9 stereotypes that stick and that people remember are the negative ones? shouldnt it be the same all across the board?
I see what you're saying now. I think this is because of our longevity and the seriousness in which we take our organizations. Since people who know anything about NPHC greeks know that our membership is for life (whether you remain active and join a grad chapter or not), the stereotypes keep following us because the sorority/fraternity life for us is limitless. On the other hand, many people (including all types of greeks) associate predominently Caucasian organizations with not taking things as seriously (because their purpose for existing isn't as serious) and being done with their organizations after college. It's just like the many people who did wild and crazy things in college who were able to shed those not so desirable acts and traits once they "grew up" and left college behind. Even though some of the predominently Caucasian organizations do have alumni chapters, they don't accept new membership at that level, each alumni chapter is specifically for the former members of a particular school chapter, and you NEVER hear (or at least I've never heard) them say anything about being active in their organizations until the day they die.

Also, I have heard many members of predominently Caucasian organizations say that they "used" to be a member of XYZ when they were in college. This is something that a NPHC greek would never say (unless they denounced their organization for some reason).

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 05-31-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM
GC Member

i think thats it Rhoyal...the longevity. My godmother is almost as active now as she was in the 70's. for us it can become more of a lifestyle, or a addition to our lifestyle. for them (not to sound insulting) it comes across as a "club" that was just a crazy phase...
Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
i think thats it Rhoyal...the longevity. My godmother is almost as active now as she was in the 70's. for us it can become more of a lifestyle, or a addition to our lifestyle. for them (not to sound insulting) it comes across as a "club" that was just a crazy phase...
That's right and many of them (the fraternities more so than the sororities) will tell you that those were their crazy days and many didn't intend for it to be anything more. As for us, because of our African heritage and African American history we feel like we HAVE to do the work we do and we HAVE to keep the sister/brotherhood alive to enhance our lives in a country and world that we all know can be (and has been) less than kind to Black people (all over the world).
Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I see what you're saying now. I think this is because of our longevity and the seriousness in which we take our organizations. Since people who know anything about NPHC greeks know that our membership is for life (whether you remain active and join a grad chapter or not), the stereotypes keep following us because the sorority/fraternity life for us is limitless. On the other hand, many people (including all types of greeks) associate predominently Caucasian organizations with not taking things as seriously (because their purpose for existing isn't as serious) and being done with their organizations after college. It's just like the many people who did wild and crazy things in college who were able to shed those not so desirable acts and traits once they "grew up" and left college behind. Even though some of the predominently Caucasian organizations do have alumni chapters, they don't accept new membership at that level, each alumni chapter is specifically for the former members of a particular school chapter, and you NEVER hear (or at least I've never heard) them say anything about being active in their organizations until the day they die.

Also, I have heard many members of predominently Caucasian organizations say that they "used" to be a member of XYZ when they were in college. This is something that a NPHC greek would never say (unless they denounced their organization for some reason).
ouch.
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
I've always been told I look like a Nupe, from greeks and non-greeks, but at the same time I have always been told my personality doesn't fit Kappa.
With your "Location" post I would say it does...

But I'm not mad cause I got my own "Nupe" to love.

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"
Old 06-01-2007, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldengrl View Post
ouch.
Let me make a correction here because I don't want anyone taking this the wrong way. I made this statement given the history, heritage, and legacy of NPHC greeks and the reason our orgs were created in the first place. Of course sisterhood and brotherhood are purposes serious enough to build a great organization.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM
GC Member

i second that Rhoyal. its not meant to be insulting at all to nonBGLO's. i know i was speaking from personal experiences, and i do have non-black friends who are in sororities and seemed to kinda let it go after a while. its just an observation. i am SURE there are plenty of women who continue with the work they started in college...
Old 06-01-2007, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Let me make a correction here because I don't want anyone taking this the wrong way. I made this statement given the history, heritage, and legacy of NPHC greeks and the reason our orgs were created in the first place. Of course sisterhood and brotherhood are purposes serious enough to build a great organization.
Also take into consideration that sororities were often founded also as a support system for women in universities that were almost entirely male. It's great that now women aren't the minority in university anymore and so our focus has broadened.

(I know the previous comment wasn't meant as a slam, but it did come off as one)
Old 06-18-2007, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't count the number of times people have told me I look like a Kappa. Like only Kappas can be fresh than a mug. Funny though, once people have gotten to know me then they gave me Alpha stereotype.

I can be fresher than any Kappa I'll ever come across.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animate View Post
I can't count the number of times people have told me I look like a Kappa. Like only Kappas can be fresh than a mug. Funny though, once people have gotten to know me then they gave me Alpha stereotype.

I can be fresher than any Kappa I'll ever come across.
Alpha stereotype about looks? What the heck does an Alpha supposed to look like? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncontRHOllable View Post
Alpha stereotype about looks? What the heck does an Alpha supposed to look like? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.
There are none that I know of. I guess we are "special" as to not have one.