Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,495
0 members and 1,495 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Colorado does have concealed carry permits.
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_co.htm
Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I agree. Considering this took place in a tear gas-filled, dark, loud movie theater, I think adding more guns to the mix would just make the environment even more dangerous.
I cannot disagree enough with your statement. The disturbing thing about active shooter situations (which this was) is that the subject typically only stops shooting because they run out of ammunition, everyone's dead and there's no one left to shoot, or they are stopped by someone (typically law enforcement). The reason why so many people got shot is because the man had no resistance what so ever. Hell, even if a 90 year old grandma started popping rounds at this guy's general direction it would have forced him to duck and get cover, possibly allowing more people to escape. I'm not sure of the exact details of the layout of this theater but since most people either run away or hit the floor from gunmen I don't see a whole lot of danger of people getting in the crossfire. Also, whoever did have a gun would have the element of surprise on this guy since I'm pretty sure he'd have a hard time finding the movie goer with the gun in a dark, smoke filled theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Even if you hit someone on the body armor, it's going to sting enough to slow them down.
At the very least it will. Ive heard of people getting knocked on their ass with the wind knocked out of them while taking a direct shot to their armor. Of course, it all depends on the caliber of the firearm and type of body armor (soft vs hard)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what will change some of the laws in this country, but there are some that need to be changed. I honestly really don't think there is any reason for any civilian person to have an assault weapon, but that's just me. I just think that should only be for law enforcement and the military. I mean, I would think that the American public would like to be at least as safe as members of congress are when they're at their job. You can't walk into the capitol with any kind of weapons, so then why are we allowed to walk down many of the streets of America armed, especially those who shouldn't have weapons in the first place? Just my opinion on the subject. I'm just more concerned now about copy-cats. I guess this now means that we're going to have to be searched for weapons before entering the movies.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 07-20-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgo_withit View Post
Literally just saw a fb status along the lines of "can't go to the movies because some guy shot some people in colorado, ther goes my night :/" OMFG WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU INNOCENT PEOPLE DIED AND THIS IS A NATIONAL TRAGEDY WHO GIVES A DAMN ABOUT YOUR FUCKING FRIDAY AHHHH HSKDKSKALAOALSFJGJSLALALALAKANVISLDDILFHADILFHDAJL FHADJLVNADLVNDSJLFDIFJDAILFJOLADFAIELFHDIALNFADLIN FALIDFN

Unfriend'd. You don't even deserve my rant and/or calm explanation as to why you're a disgusting human being.
I unfriended someone who bitched about the parents of the 3 month old, calling them horrible parents -- as if they were to blame for the baby being injured. "OMFG WHY WOULD ANYONE BRING THEIR BABY TO A MIDNIGHT MOVIE ANYWAYYYY??? OMFGOMFGOMFG."
Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Hell, even if a 90 year old grandma started popping rounds at this guy's general direction it would have forced him to duck and get cover, possibly allowing more people to escape.
Or get killed by granny.

Quote:
I'm not sure of the exact details of the layout of this theater but since most people either run away or hit the floor from gunmen I don't see a whole lot of danger of people getting in the crossfire.
Well I sure do. People panic in situations like this, and it's quite possible that it's hard to tell where the shooting is coming from.

Quote:
Also, whoever did have a gun would have the element of surprise on this guy since I'm pretty sure he'd have a hard time finding the movie goer with the gun in a dark, smoke filled theater.
And why do you think movie goer-with-gun would have such an easy time finding him -- and only him -- in the dark, smoke/gas filled, chaotic theater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I honestly really don't think there is any reason for any civilian person to have an assault weapon, but that's just me.
No, it's not just you.

Last edited by MysticCat; 07-20-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
I don't know what will change some of the laws in this country, but there are some that need to be changed. I honestly really don't think there is any reason for any civilian person to have an assault weapon, but that's just me. I just think that should only be for law enforcement and the military. I mean, I would think that the American public would like to be at least as safe as members of congress are when they're at their job. You can't walk into the capitol with any kind of weapons, so then why are we allowed to walk down many of the streets of America armed, especially those who shouldn't have weapons in the first place? Just my opinion on the subject. I'm just more concerned now about copy-cats. I guess this now means that we're going to have to be searched for weapons before entering the movies.
I entirely agree. The more people able to wander around with weapons (especially those with mental illness, etc. that may be undiagnosed), the greater chance that something can go wrong. There's no logical reason for people to be wandering around with concealed weapons. There's too much room for error.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Or get killed by granny.

Well I sure do. People panic in situations like this, and it's quite possible that it's hard to tell where the shooting is coming from.

And why do you think movie goer-with-gun would have such an easy time finding him -- and only him -- in the dark, smoke/gas filled, chaotic theater?
It's called a muzzle flash sir. With the AR-15 alone he might as well have had a flashlight in his hand.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
I entirely agree. The more people able to wander around with weapons (especially those with mental illness, etc. that may be undiagnosed), the greater chance that something can go wrong. There's no logical reason for people to be wandering around with concealed weapons. There's too much room for error.
And if the sane and good people are the only ones who are disarmed, that's a good thing?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There's no logical reason for people to be wandering around with concealed weapons. .
Yep, I totally agree. I'm not sure about gun control in other states, but here, people are allowed to have a concealed weapon. On top of that, the police force has been reduced here in some cities, as well. That just doesn't make any sense, to me.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

As I just said to one of my friends on Facebook:

What's amazing to me... When I go into a concert, or a playhouse, or a sporting event, my bag is checked, and in some instances, I've had to walk through metal detectors. In thinking about this today, I'm actually shocked that packed movie theaters don't do the same thing. I know that the guy came through an emergency exit, but hell.. put metal detectors by those too.

People will obtain a gun if they want one.. or maybe they'll use knives.. or planes.. or biological weapons.. or whatever they can possibly think of. I agree that there are certain guns that people don't need to own, but again, I'm not so sure that telling people, "You can carry a gun wherever you go," or, "You can't own a gun at all" will really solve the problem.

If someone wants a gun badly enough, regardless of whatever law you put in place, they're going to find one.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-20-2012, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
And if the sane and good people are the only ones who are disarmed, that's a good thing?
I think everyone should be disarmed, not just the sane and good. There's no reason for ANYONE to be running around with firearms (outside of war)

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think everyone should be disarmed, not just the sane and good. There's no reason for ANYONE to be running around with firearms (outside of war)
Oh good Lord.. that's not happening.

There are more guns than people in this country. Disarm the good people and only the bad ones will have weapons.

Want your neighbor to put up one of these signs?

Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
It's called a muzzle flash sir. With the AR-15 alone he might as well have had a flashlight in his hand.
Yeah, I know what it is, sir, though you should factor in the tear gas, which can affect the ability of others to make that flashlight out clearly. I just don't have the confidence you seem to that that 90-year-old woman, or any average theater-goer for that matter who lacks experience in situations like this, is going to be taking down the gunman and only the gunman.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not to mention several studies have shown that CHL/CCW holders are less likely to commit ANY crime compared to the general population and about 98% of all shootings are committed by non CHL/CCW holders. I tend to quit listening when people start talking like that what you quoted. I'm all for having a discussion on how to attack the black market arms trade but I think a lot of people's fear and ignorance of firearms gets in the way of that.

But yes, let's ban guns for everyone but the criminals and murderers who obtain their firearms illegally to begin with.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep, I totally agree. I'm not sure about gun control in other states, but here, people are allowed to have a concealed weapon. On top of that, the police force has been reduced here in some cities, as well. That just doesn't make any sense, to me.
It doesn't make sense to you because you're ignorant of the statistics. Back in the 80s when states started allowing CHL's anti gun activists were chomping at the bite to show a correlation between CHL holders and increased crime rates or shootings. It never happened. In fact, studies conducted have shown that CHL holders are less likely to commit ANY crime than a non CHL holder. Don't use your fear of guns paint a law abiding citizen as a potential criminal.