Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 881
2 members and 879 guests
John

Old 07-10-2007, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

you all are really making me want to go home and bake a cake. or at least cupcakes.

speaking of which, do y'all think the cupcake-cake thing is cute or tacky? I like the idea but i don't really see myself pulling it off properly. I'd save that for a more casual event.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=abaici;1482238]The groom usually has a smaller cake. Traditionally, it's chocolate and reflects something he likes or a hobby.
QUOTE]

I thought they were traditionally fruit? Ok, I looked it up and found both answers. So I guess we're both right.

"Cake historians say the [grooms cake] practice first came to the wedding party in the mid-19th century. About that time the bride's cake--for a long time a single-tier, dense fruitcake--had evolved into a stacked pound cake in the shape of a church steeple. But revelers still desired some of the old-style, rich, fruity cake. Enter: the Bridegroom's Cake. Each guest was given a slice of fruitcake in a box to take home. As the story goes, single women who slipped a slice under their pillow would have sweet dreams of a mate. Today, groom's cakes are baked and iced in the bridegroom's favorite flavors...A groom's cake is a have-to-have in the deep South."
---"A Cake of His Own," Washington Post, April 15, 1998 (p. E01)

How do you sleep with cake under your pillow??? I think I'd do a bit midnight snacking. lol.

"The grooms cake...The tradition of sending wedding guests home with a piece of second cake, called a "grooms cake," has its origins in early southern [U.S.] tradition. It is a tradition that almost disappeared by today is experiencing a revival of sorts. The modern-day groom's cake is often a chocolate cake, iced in chocolate, or baked in a shape, such as a football or a book, that reflects an interest of the groom. It is to be used as a second dessert, it is placed on a separate table from the wedding cake and cut and served by the wait staff. At a small, at-home wedding, it is placed on a separate table from the wedding cake and is served. Having a special groom's cake is a charming personal touch. Some couples ask to have the groom's cake packaged, festively wrapped and tied with a ribbon, in small boxes to send home with departing guests."
---Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette, Peggy Post, 4th edition (p. 339)
Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
you all are really making me want to go home and bake a cake. or at least cupcakes.

speaking of which, do y'all think the cupcake-cake thing is cute or tacky? I like the idea but i don't really see myself pulling it off properly. I'd save that for a more casual event.
I think it depends, if it's a casual reception or if they're done very well... I think it can work. Although I still think you should have a small cake, just surrounded by the cupcakes. I'm just all traditional like that though.

Now, the twinkie/hostess cupcake cakes are a no-no.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Groom's cakes are fun. We don't really do them up here in Pittsburgh. Probably because with the cookie table, there's already enough sugar. I've been to a wedding with a HUGE cookie table, a chocolate fountain, and cake. that's a recipe for a belly ache!
Around here, groom's cakes are for the rehearsal dinner, never for the reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I am not much of a white cake lover, so I am sooo happy to have a slice of a chocolate groom's cake instead.
I don't like chocolate cake, but my mother was adament that the grooms cake, by tradition, had to be chocolate. I remember well when we were meeting with the caterer:

"The groom's cake has to be chocolate."
"But I don't like chocolate cake."
"But it has to be chocolate."
"But I don't like chocolate cake."
"But it has to be chocolate."
"But it's a groom's cake. I'm the groom, and I don't like chocolate cake."

Finally, the caterer mediated, asking me some very specific questions about what I don't like about chocolate cake and about different kinds of chocolate cake and he came up with a chocolate suggestion that was acceptable to everyone.

And I did like it.

As for rental cakes: beyond tacky.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pi Phi View Post
I think the bride and groom should do what ever they want on their wedding day and to hell with who ever might think it's tacky.
Agreed!

I don't think I would do a foam cake, but I am sooooo far from getting married who knows what I would do.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Around here, groom's cakes are for the rehearsal dinner, never for the reception.
The weddings I've attended have always had the groom's cake at the reception & I've seen some really interesting ones. Puerto Rico's flag, footballs, dogs, golf bags, cowboy hats, etc. Its mostly for show during the reception, usually only the wedding party takes a piece of the groom's cake & thats after everything has wound down.

I think the fake cakes are certainly pretty, but as a traditionalist, I wouldn't buy one.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you seen the tiny individual wedding cakes? I think that is cute (but expensive, I'm sure).
I need some clever person to post a picture from Martha Stewart or the like.
My home computer network is named luddite for a reason!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Is this what you're talking about?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Have you seen the tiny individual wedding cakes? I think that is cute (but expensive, I'm sure).
I need some clever person to post a picture from Martha Stewart or the like.
My home computer network is named luddite for a reason!
I've always liked that idea. Here are some examples:

Old 07-10-2007, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't say this is a "new" idea - I've been hearing about it for years. Though it usually was the bride and groom having a real top and bottom tier and the bakery used styrofoam for the other layers - not renting a cake from another place.

And the Ace of Cakes designs aren't new either. I got married in 05 so was looking at stuff in 04 (and earlier b/c I'm obsessive like that) and those bright colors, dots, stripes, etc have all been popular for some time now.

Our cake was included in the pp charge at the location - most NYC area locations do that. Since we knew the bakery they used and really liked their product, it worked out perfectly and was completely affordable.

Funny someone said something about wedding cake only being white. Mine was pale yellow with white swirls on it. My southern Chi O sister came up to me early in the reception and said, "Have you seen your cake?" I said, "No, why? What's wrong?" She said, "It's yellow." I said, "OH! It's supposed to be!!!!" I thought it was funny she was so concerned!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu_agd View Post
I've always liked that idea. Here are some examples:

I LOVVVVE these ^^^!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Mini Wedding Cakes

I found the molds - silicone mini tiered cake pan - for $29.95 at www.bakerscatalogue.com -makes four little 3-tiered cakes.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
I LOVVVVE these ^^^!

Those are sooooooo cute! I love it!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't want a traditional white wedding cake so I completely did my own thing. Obviously, we had a December wedding. The bottom layer was marble cake but I don't remember the filling. The middle layer was chocolate cake with raspberry mousse and the top layer was carrot cake with cream cheese filling b/c Mike requested that since it's his favorite.

Most people didn't even realize that this was our wedding cake so they bypassed it & didn't notice it until it was time to cut it.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinIsBadNews View Post
So my Grandmother told me that people are now cutting cost on their weddings by skipping out on the traditional wedding cakes and getting a fake cake made of foam! You can now rent fake cakes. Apparently, the fake cakes still have enough real cake hidden so that the bride and groom can have the traditional first slice. As a guest you still get a slice of cake, it just comes from a much cheaper sheet cake.

I guess this could be your something borrowed? Lol. Has anyone ever heard of this or ever been to a reception with a rented wedding cake? Would you ever have a fake cake? I think I am far too traditional. I mean the cakes look real, but I don’t know it just seems strange to me.

http://cakerental.com/
http://www.rentthecakeofyourdreams.com/
I have heard of this and quite honestly I think it’s a great option for people who don’t want to shell out 1200 bucks for cake that may not even be completely eaten. And as a guest, you’re not paying for it so…what’s the problem? As long as the sheet cake has the same decorations on it and it tastes good, comes from the same baker….who’s going to know? Also, the couple wont have to worry about damage to the cake in transport. I saw one cake that was almost destroyed because it fell over but the cake maker came with the cake and was able to fix it before the bride and groom came in the reception.

Personally, I’ve always liked the mini-cakes or the cupcakes. I’m not going to have 200 million people at my wedding, most likely less than 50 so I would never entertain the thought of a tiered cake anyway.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 07-12-2007 at 12:13 AM.