Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,632
3 members and 1,629 guests
LaneSig, UW_dawg

Old 01-08-2003, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to japhir Send a message via Yahoo to japhir
Here's my thoughts...If you can't make the commitment to get married, then don't live like you are. I recently watched a good friend get stuck with an apartment he couldn't afford and a whole stack of bills because he and his girlfriend tried the living together thing. It was really messy when she decided to move out because he wouldn't marry her. (Why should he? He has his cake and is eating it, too.) Living together doesn't solve any problems you may be already having.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
If either one of you are high maintainance do not do it.

On the other hand its a safe time to play house because its only for a year.

But still I would say no.

My one experience living with a chick:

She was a DZ and living at home with her parents and she offered to kick me dinner.

So I arrive just in time to watch her Father bodily throwing her out the door.

She ends up living with me for a month. She did try, but honestly I just wasn't into it and I was glad to see her back.

LOL, maybe I am just mean.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

If you think that the relationship is on balance good, I would say go for it, but definitely in a 2 bedroom apartment. I look at it this way: I'd rather live with a guy I'm dating and in love with than a random roommate. So why not? As long as you go into it knowing that it is a risk (and what in life isn't?) I don't see what the harm is. I do not think that it is necessary to be engaged before moving in -- and I wouldn't assume that you are even thinking about getting engaged yet, let alone married. The one thing you might want to consider (if you haven't already) are your cleanliness standards -- I mean, if you can agree on cleaning the place and dividing chores, that would be awesome, because when living with someone, that can be a big deal.

But then, take what I say with a grain of salt -- I've moved in with several people, one after knowing him for less than a week. Of course, they didn't all work out, but I really don't regret doing any of it. Keep us posted, and good luck!
Old 01-10-2003, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

My advice is to not do it.

If your reason for wanting to move in together is TRULY financial (and that's not just what you're telling the parents), then you can each find a different roommate and save just as much money.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:50 AM
GreekChat Member

i'm back :)

hi ya'll! Been a while huh? Kinda funny, but this situation is pretty much why I haven't had time to play on here.

My boyfriend and I started living together a few months ago. Not a conscious decision, we were just together all the time, and didn't really want to be apart, further, I just can't justify having two places just to say we each have our own area. Monitarily it's just crazy. At least for us. But long story short, it's worked out great for us. And we're talking about getting engaged in the (near) future. I think it really helps to live with someone for at least a little bit because let's face it, marriage is putting up with someone daily, dealing with bills and finances, and working through little situations EVERYDAY. It's not like dating where you can run off and pout for a while and then come to an understanding later. And if you can't live with this person on a day to day basis and still love them for who they are, then maybe things wouldn't work out after you're married.

Now, I'm not saying that living together is the right decision for everyone, but if you feel like you're gonna marry this person, then I don't feel like it would hurt to make sure you're on the same wavelength regarding day to day living. And if you have your place and he has his, you're probably going to be together all the time anyway, so why not consolidate and not waste money, and make sure your relationship will work while you're smushed together in an apartment.

Though I do recommend having an extra room of your own and DEFINITELY your own bathroom. I have a room with all my clothes and "getting ready stuff" in it and my own bathroom, which really works out great. Plus, I can keep it as messy or clean as I like and it's still mine. So while we're living together, we each have our own little areas.

And lemme just close with I'm probably the LAST person who would ever dream of myself writing all this about the wonders of living together. I always said firmly that I wouldn't live with someone till I got married, but somehow, this situation came together and it's worked out great for me. Though it's MY place and if things ever do get nasty, then I know I have somewhere to live. Make sure you have separate leases or that it's your name on there. Gives you a little extra comfort incase we don't make the BEST decision at a young age. We learn from experience...

Tara

and ps. it's great to be back

I have a Phi Mu castle...
Old 01-11-2003, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Take it from me...and I was engaged when I moved to TX to live with my man...DON'T DO IT!

WHY? I'll list my reasons!

1) Space. There is little or no space. If you have an argument then you'd better get over it quickly because chances are you'll be sleeping together in the same bed that same night...unless he takes the couch.
2) DRAMA! There's so much drama. I tunred into Suzie Home Maker. He didn't appreciate what I did around the house and we'd start having petty aruments over housework stuff.
3) JUST IN CASE~ If you two split up remember that if you jointly signed the lease you'll jointly be held responsible. I had to make sure my name was taken OFF our lease after I left so I couldn't be held responsible for anything that happened.
4) Privacy~ or lack of it. There will be little to no privacy. Or space to do what you feel. So if you're the type that needs some space remember this. Cuz living together means seeing that person 24/7
Old 01-11-2003, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
It depends where you are in the relationship. If you think you might marry this guy one day it's good to find out if you can handle living togther first. If you find that out when your married that you can't stand living togther then you know how it will end up.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Inspite of What ZNTEKE says, he and N havd a great relationship>

In My words, NO NO NO NO NO!

Lived with a lady for 2 years and was going to ask her to marry me!

Going to sell a business and go to Tenn. with her!

She then told me if she did not have a ring on her fingure then I would not be living with her!

Well., I am not living with her!

Said it all!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-12-2003, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Currently @ IUP..but live in FL during Breaks! (WooHoo).
Send a message via AIM to vangie6381
Cool

i say.. if you have a committed relationship, then move in together.. if you BOTH want to that is.. sharing the space.. sharing everything.. but i would highly think of maybe getting a 2-bedroom apartment.. much more convinient.. more closet space for the shoes!!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiRattlerGal Send a message via Yahoo to APhiRattlerGal
I say go for it