GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,542
3 members and 1,539 guests
Cookiez17, John, Kdbruin

Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I am over Madison/Madeline/Maddie
Adam (they always seem to make me nuts)
Landon
Dylan/Dillon/Dillan
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It seems like 80% of the little girls at work are named:

Emma
Isabella
Madison (with other variations such as Maddisyn, Maddyson, and Maddisen.)
Kylie/Kaylie (with many other variations on the spelling e.g. Kaylee/Kylee)
Madelyn/Madeline. (with lots of crazy variations there too e.g. Madelynne)

Seriously, if you don't know a girl's name, just start yelling out these names. One of them is it.
Emma was my 3 that I doubled listed as Olivia! We know 3 little Emma's. Damn you "Friends!"

Only 2 Bella's, and we know one Landyn. I'm over Maddie. I think it's an adorable name. But there's SO MANY. I did not want my kids to be know as "Firstname I" (I as in initial). So many kids in my daughter's class have to go by last initials too. If we have to do it eventually, fine.

OH, thought of a boys name I'm over: Carson. Again, cute name, but everyone and their brother around here used Carson when Carson Palmer was popular (Cinci Bengal quarterback). I can think of 5 we know in SW ohio alone.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a teacher, but I did work in the DA's office as an intern for a semester, and part of my job was entering new felonies in the database. I can't really reveal the names I came across due to confidentiality rules, however, I sure came across some doozies. By the end of my time there I had a running mental list of names never to name my future children.

My boss there had recently had a child, and she told me that the nurse there mentioned that she recently helped deliver a baby named RigaTony. Apparently, the mother is of Latvian descent and really likes the name Tony. Poor kid. You think these parents hate their kids or something. I once knew someone named Becca Becker.

I actually despise my own first name, though it's fairly common. Someone started calling me by my first two initials early on in college, and it stuck, so only my parents call me by my first name. I share my name with a fairly well know female political figure, and I think this contributes to my hatred of my name because people consistently make jokes about it or compare me to her. A friend of mine told me the other day that I was far more attractive than her; I guess he thought that was a compliment? I was like, gee, thanks, thats like saying I'm smarter than Snooki.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
RigaTony.
Fail
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It seems like 80% of the little girls at work are named:

Emma
Isabella
Madison (with other variations such as Maddisyn, Maddyson, and Maddisen.)
Kylie/Kaylie (with many other variations on the spelling e.g. Kaylee/Kylee)
Madelyn/Madeline. (with lots of crazy variations there too e.g. Madelynne)
The "stay away" name at my job is Kimberly. If your patient is named Kimberly, she WILL be the most difficult, dramatic, manipulative person to deal with out of your entire caseload.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 05-18-2011, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

-laneswerve-
It's a bummer to see my name on some of these lists! D: I'm sorry for any terrible-same-names as me you've encountered!

ETA: Don't teach, but from my years of being a student, I've never met a Rebecca who goes by Rebecca (not Becky, Becca, etc.) who has been tolerable/not horrible/obnoxious

Last edited by sweetmagnolia; 05-18-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
I'm not a teacher, but I did work in the DA's office as an intern for a semester, and part of my job was entering new felonies in the database. I can't really reveal the names I came across due to confidentiality rules, however, I sure came across some doozies. By the end of my time there I had a running mental list of names never to name my future children.

My boss there had recently had a child, and she told me that the nurse there mentioned that she recently helped deliver a baby named RigaTony. Apparently, the mother is of Latvian descent and really likes the name Tony. Poor kid. You think these parents hate their kids or something. I once knew someone named Becca Becker.

I actually despise my own first name, though it's fairly common. Someone started calling me by my first two initials early on in college, and it stuck, so only my parents call me by my first name. I share my name with a fairly well know female political figure, and I think this contributes to my hatred of my name because people consistently make jokes about it or compare me to her. A friend of mine told me the other day that I was far more attractive than her; I guess he thought that was a compliment? I was like, gee, thanks, thats like saying I'm smarter than Snooki.
Riga is the capital of Latvia, so maybe she's trying to honor home and a name she likes?

The two local hospitals have webpages with names of new babies. Here are some from the past month, the names that end in (den dan din dyn) are starting to slow in trend and it seems that some less common names are picking up but of course require alternative spelling. There are some names I had to say a few times to figure out what the name was due to alternative vowel and consonant usage and placement. Asher is going crazy as a first and middle name, and that's kind of funny in North Idaho since we don't have a lot of Chosen People who would traditionally name their sons Asher. Cohen and an alternative spelling are also first names in the past month. There are two little boys named Catcher, and two girls named Daisy.

There are still tons of babies now going through life with vowels, consonants, random in word capitalization (toggle case babies?) and such preventing them from being able to buy things with their name on it without a special order.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

La-a ... pronounced Ladasha
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm expecting and my husband and I have been trying to come up with names that we both agree on which is turning out to be extremely difficult. Almost every girl name I come up with is a "stripper name".

Every boy name he comes up with must start with "Z" (he really wants the kid to have intitials that spell "Z.I.G" so he can call him "Ziggy". I'm not making this up.)

The onlyy other thing we have agreed on is that we will not name the kid one of the names on the top 20 baby names of 2010 list that is put out by the social security administration.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I'm expecting and my husband and I have been trying to come up with names that we both agree on which is turning out to be extremely difficult. Almost every girl name I come up with is a "stripper name".

Every boy name he comes up with must start with "Z" (he really wants the kid to have intitials that spell "Z.I.G" so he can call him "Ziggy". I'm not making this up.)

The onlyy other thing we have agreed on is that we will not name the kid one of the names on the top 20 baby names of 2010 list that is put out by the social security administration.
ziggy is cute. there's worse things than ziggy. kinda glad that my name hasn't been mentioned yet (of course its hispanic in origin, but still)
Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Riga is the capital of Latvia, so maybe she's trying to honor home and a name she likes?
Yep, I'm well aware that the capital of Latvia is Riga, but the poor kid is still named RigaTony. I hope he just goes by Tony.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humo...ing-rules-2013

Old 11-20-2013, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
There are still tons of babies now going through life with vowels, consonants, random in word capitalization (toggle case babies?) and such preventing them from being able to buy things with their name on it without a special order.
Toggle case babies. I like it.

Names I will never name my child(ren) of the future:

Stephanie
Patrick
Noah
Ceili (pronounced Kaylee, it's Irish but the poor girl got a million See-lees)
Corey
Billy
Michael
Lauren

Random thought: I would totally watch a show called What Not To Name that was the same as What Not To Wear but it would take parents-to-be that wanted to name their kid something horrible and try to talk them out of it.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Oh my goodness, yesssss....

People, more than anything else, need to stop naming their kids for themselves and actually think about their child and how their name will affect them.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-20-2013, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Was it on tv or this thread that someone always checked the name with either judge or doctor in front of it? E.g. Supreme Court Justice Emma Maddie RigaToni.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a teacher. Therefore, my kids have very boring, classic easy to spell names. It's kind of weird but I don't hear my kids names that often anymore so in a strange way they are unique to their generation.

The names I do hear alot for my younger students are sophia, isabella/bella,, ethan, alex
Older students are Jacob /jake, madeline, connor, savannah

All nice names but too common for me