GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,204
0 members and 1,204 guests
No Members online

Old 09-27-2001, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Panhellenic Recruitment/Contact Rules

I know that everyone here is enjoying the postings of undergraduate recruitment experiences, but I feel that I need to remind everyone that messages posted here are public and if you are an initiated member, undergrad or alumna, please practice discretion during your campus' recruitment period, especially if PNMs are online and posting during that same time period.

Many campus' Panhellenic rules apply to alumnae contact with PNMs as well as to undergraduate members. If you are not completely sure about your campus' Panhellenic contact rules, please wait until after Recruitment has ended to post your thoughts of Recruitment 'from the chapter side'.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Ok, this is a question about rules. There's a girl here at Auburn who announced in her LJ in an Auburn community that she was going to seek sorority membership. She had some questions about recruitment--the process, whether she'd be better suited for formal or informal (she's an upperclassman), etc. I left a couple of comments, and gave her my AIM name in case she had any further questions. Most of our interactions took place over AIM. We've talked about recruitment some more. She knows my affiliation from my LJ. Last night she told me she's officially signed up for COR.

My question is did my contacting her to give her info on the process count as breaking silence rules? Is it any different now that she's officially a PNM since we somewhat know each other from beforehand? 99% of our interaction is her asking how COR is different from formal rush and me giving her advice on how to maximize her potential no matter whose parties she's attending (make sure you're dressed nice, don't let it show you're nervous, etc.) and about 1% stuff about classes and such.

Ah, if only I had access to the Green Book.

Last edited by bekibug; 02-16-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

No, you did not break any rules. According to Auburn's Recruitment Handbook, "During C.O.B., potential members may not attend any type of sorority socials, including formals. The potential member may attend fellowships, dinners, etc. with the sorority."

Also according to the same, "Silence rules will begin with the start of Fall sorority recruitment workshops on August 5th, and continue except for scheduled parties, until the potential members recieve their formal bids (silence rules prohibit any oral or written communication).

It is my understanding that silence (or closed contact) does not apply to informal recruitment or COB, as is the process with most schools. Otherwise we would be in trouble down here! lol.

Good luck to all of you!
(ps, that website is http://www.auburn.edu/panhellenic/ha...es/pg12&13.jpg)
Old 02-16-2005, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Thanks, I had no idea that link was there! Last time I looked there was nothing up for a Recruitment Handbook.