GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,444
0 members and 1,444 guests
No Members online

Old 06-19-2001, 09:47 AM

Talking fave chick flicks?

You either love 'em or hate 'em...but you gotta admit that you've seen a couple of them maybe long time ago, or just recently. I wonder what makes a film a "chick flick" and why it has such a negative connotation to it?! one of my friends and also my ex teased me at work coz i told them that I when i rented Save The Last Dance last week, I saw it 3x. My friend said, "yeah I tried to watch it just because when it comes out customers will ask me how was it, but it was just too much chick for my flick". My ex didn't even rent it at all and downright refuses to "waste" one of his employee free rentals on it. But i LOVED the movie and

So in your opinion what makes a movie a chick flick? and why do (some, not all)guys refuse to watch it?
What's your most hated and most favorite chick flicks?

My favorite ones (im sorry, but im a chick flick junkie!)would be Drive Me Crazy, Only You (with Marisa Tomei),Clueless,American Pie,Road Trip (i dunno if the last 2 are chick flicks though)and Can't Hardly Wait. And I love dancing so I like Center Stage and of course, Save the last dance!

My hated ones would have to be Boys And Girls(boring, no offense),Cruel Intentions 2 (that was just a ripoff of the original),In Crowd and Virgin Suicides.

Okay now it may seem like I have no life but when it's summer and you're single,all your college friends are far away, your high school friends are either you've grown apart or working during the day (because i work at night so when they get home it's my turn to go to work so we never see each other), you have no choice but to put your rentals to use. LoL.

------------------
"To supress our feelings only makes them stronger"--from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Old 06-19-2001, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
When Harry Met Sally, First Wives Club, Terms of Endearment, Beaches, and Say Anything are my top 5 chick flicks
Old 06-19-2001, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Love Story
It's an oldie, but an awesome classic!
Old 06-19-2001, 02:15 PM
Unregistered-

Smile

My favorite chick flicks:
  • Beaches
  • Now & Then
  • Mermaids
  • Steel Magnolias
  • Dirty Dancing
Old 06-19-2001, 03:18 PM

Thumbs up

I like Dirty Dancing too! One of my coworkers said, "what's the difference between a guy and a girl?" and i'm like, "uhh what?" "how they interpret the ending of dirty dancing when Patrick Swayze starts snapping his fingers." If they swoon, they are girls and if they are like, "noooo" then they're guys. Whatever!

Hey Silverturtle this is off topic but since your fraternity is an arts one, so are there any dance majors in it? Just curious!

------------------
"To supress our feelings only makes them stronger"--from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Old 06-19-2001, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Ok, I'm a glutton for romantic comedies or "chick flicks". My favs are:

Clueless (this is the ONLY movie I own! I LOVE this movie!)
Love Jones
How Stella Got Her Groove Back
Waiting to Exhale
Save the Last Dance
A League of Their Own
Center Stage
Love and Basketball
While You Were Sleeping
Notting Hill
Runaway Bride
Pretty Woman
(I'm a big Julia fan!)
I think I got most of them I still wanna see Bridget Jones's Diary and I think there are a couple more I haven't seen yet.

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited June 19, 2001).]
Old 06-19-2001, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CRMSNTiDEGRL717
Thumbs up

Pretty Woman
Dirty Dancing
As Good as it Gets
Bounce
You've Got Mail
*i know there's more, but i'll have to post later
Old 06-19-2001, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Great topic girlie!!

-Notting Hill
-Clueless
-you've got mail
-My best friend's wedding (is that a chick flick? what exactly makes a chick flick?)
-Ever AFter (with Drew Barrymore)
-Charlie's Angels
-Love Story
-When harry met Sally
-Sixteen Candles (does that count???)

I don't know what's up with guys hating it so much...my bf and his friends refuse to see any chick flicks...ahh, i don't know..i guess they try to be macho or something
Old 06-20-2001, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

It's not just guys that don't like chick flicks. 'Cause I'm a girl & hate most of them!

I do like When Harry Met Sally, which xok85xo mentioned.

My definition of chick flicks are any sappy romance films, or feel-good girlfriend movies (which always have that "ironic" sad ending a la Beaches). I haven't seen Thelma & Louise which I suspect I *might* like. There are some chick flicks I can endure if there's enough eye candy in it but there's usually not.

I'm not very girly though. I love action movies & suspense dramas. And good comedies, which I think are rare.

------------------
SilverTurtle

Phi Beta Fraternity: National Professional Association for the Creative & Performing Arts
Old 06-20-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Right now, I'm waiting impatiently for Bridget Jones's Diary to come out on DVD. I love that movie!!!!
Old 06-20-2001, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by gammazetagrl:
Hey Silverturtle this is off topic but since your fraternity is an arts one, so are there any dance majors in it? Just curious!
Hey gammazeta girl! There are dance majors. My chapter didn't have any majors while I was active, but definately some members who were on dance team & took classes (especially the drama majors). We have quite a few dancers in Madison, WI for some reason.

We're the only national GLO that incorporates all of the creative & performing arts, including their histories & therapies. Usually when we list the arts we say "art, music, speech communications, drama, writing, & dance". Although we were initially founded to unite speech & music.

------------------
SilverTurtle

Phi Beta Fraternity: National Professional Association for the Creative & Performing Arts
Old 06-20-2001, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I think guys interpret anything they don't want to see as a "chick flick"...usually they're characterized as romances, strong emotional content movies (box of kleenex movies), or movies with a female lead(s)/mostly female cast.

My favorites are:

When Harry Met Sally
Shag
Steel Magnolis
Shakespeare In Love
Ever After
Love Jones
Love and Basketball
*Coyote Ugly

* Some people think Coyote Ugly is a chick flick but I don't really agree...come on, girls in skimpy outfits dancing on a bar?