GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,368
0 members and 1,368 guests
No Members online

Old 08-24-2000, 05:03 AM
Hailey

Red face finding the right org.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a few questions I have...

First, I want to join a sorority, but I have a lot of questions because I am now going to be a senior (graduating in May) and am already 21. Is this really lame if I pledge this late?? I am also going to be going to grad school, though at a different university, so maybe I could continue my membership at this point?? My big concern is that I have waited too long to join and now it will be too late.

Second-- I have no idea how I would find the right sorority for me. (I know that if I rush, then I will have this question answered a lot better, but I also think that there is a big difference between sororities and all.)

Third-- Do most girls who pledge do it with a friend? My problem is that being a senior, none of my friends will want to pledge with me because they have already decided not to awhile ago and they'll also be graduating soon. Other friends of mine joined awhile ago and we don't talk much anymore becuase we've both become involved in different things.

Finally, is there a good way for me to find out more about the sororities? The ones at my campus are: alpha delta pi, alpha kappa alpha, alpha omicron pi, alpha sigma alpha, alpha pi, alpha pi gamma, delta gamma, delta zeta, delta phi epsilon, zeta phi beta, sigma alpha iota, sigma iota alpha, sigma kappa, sigma lambda gamma, sigma lambda sigma, and sigma sigma sigma. Are these all the same everywhere, or can they be called different names at other campuses?

I would totally appreciate any help that anyone can give for me! Thanks!

Old 08-24-2000, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Quote:
First, I want to join a sorority, but I have a lot of questions because I am now going to be a senior (graduating in May) and am already 21. Is this really lame if I pledge this late?? I am also going to be going to grad school, though at a different university, so maybe I could continue my membership at this point?? My big concern is that I have waited too long to join and now it will be too late.
I've seen juniors and seniors join sororities and stay active as alumnae during grad school and beyond. I won't lie and say that being a senior may count against you BUT it also works for you. I'm going to suggest that you go through Informal Recruitment (C.O.B.) instead of Formal Recruitment but only if the majority of groups will not reach campus total even after taking quota during formal. Because the groups will fulfill their need to take a full class of freshmen, they will be more inclined to pledge an upperclassman during C.O.B.

Quote:
Second-- I have no idea how I would find the right sorority for me. (I know that if I rush, then I will have this question answered a lot better, but I also think that there is a big difference between sororities and all.)
The best way to find the right sorority is to research the groups on your campus on a national level - find out what they stand for, their programs, history and scholarship standards. Then - get to know the members of the chapters on campus that you're interested in. Let them know you are interested in membership and let them work with you to learn more about their chapter.

Quote:
Third-- Do most girls who pledge do it with a friend? My problem is that being a senior, none of my friends will want to pledge with me because they have already decided not to awhile ago and they'll also be graduating soon. Other friends of mine joined awhile ago and we don't talk much anymore becuase we've both become involved in different things.
No, the majority of women don't pledge with a friend. While it's true many girls go through recruitment with a friend, more often than not they pledge different groups and remain friends. The purpose of recruitment is to meet new people and make new friends.

Quote:
Finally, is there a good way for me to find out more about the sororities?
alpha delta pi - NPC

alpha kappa alpha - NPHC group

alpha omicron pi - NPC

alpha sigma alpha - NPC

alpha pi - local multicultural group@sjsu, http://www.sjsu.edu/orgs/alpha_pi/

alpha pi gamma - must be local group, no website on sjsu.edu

delta gamma - NPC

delta zeta - NPC

delta phi epsilon - NPC

zeta phi beta - NPHC

sigma alpha iota - music sorority, http://www.sai-national.org/

sigma iota alpha - Latina group, http://www.hermandad-sia.org/

sigma kappa - NPC

sigma lambda gamma-Latina group, http://www.uiowa.edu/~slgalpha/

sigma lambda sigma - only 2 chapters, both in Illinois. Don't know if this is the same group as what is on your campus: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Den/1968/

sigma sigma sigma - NPC

All NPC groups are linked via http://www.npcwomen.org

All NPHC groups are linked via http://www.nphc.org

Quote:
Are these all the same everywhere, or can they be called different names at other campuses?
They are called the same on all campuses. I've given you links with which you can do further research.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.
Tallahassee Area Alumnae of ZTA
Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic & Sorority Recruitment FAQ

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old 08-24-2000, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
PnguinTrax- Great Answer!

Some more links:

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. http://www.zpb1920.org

Alpha kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. http://www.aka1908.com
Old 08-24-2000, 10:56 AM

Question

I think she might mean Alpha Phi not Alpha Pi.
Old 08-24-2000, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
I think she might mean Alpha Phi not Alpha Pi.
There is an Alpha Pi as San Jose State University, but yes, if it is Alpha Phi, then a link can be found at the NPC site.

Barbara

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.
Tallahassee Area Alumnae of ZTA
Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic & Sorority Recruitment FAQ
Old 08-24-2000, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I think it's great that you're interested in pursuing sorority membership at this "late date". It's never too late...I'm doing it and I'm 28! Mind you I'm not looking at a NPC sorority, so I'm not really sure how that system works. But I know with NPHC sororities, there is a graduate process but you must be inivted to join at that level. Many Latina-based and Multicultural sororities have graduate intake, as do some Asian American sororities.

In terms of finding a sorority - it's all about research, research, research! Read everything you can get your hands on, go out of your way to meet the Sisters/Sorors of that organization. Go to as many activities and informationals as you can. Look hard and deep, because, just like choosing your spouse, this is a LIFETIME committment. It's taken me 10 years...to find both!

[This message has been edited by PhoenixGrad (edited August 24, 2000).]

Old 08-24-2000, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Wink

I'm 28 also and am doing tons(and when I say tons, I mean tons) of research on different sororites. There are so many organizations that I would love to be apart of,but I know I can only choice one.

Some other links you might be interested in:
www.latinogreeks.com (this gives a listing of various latino and mutilcultural organizations
www.latinagreeks.com (same as above but lists mostly the sororites)
www.greekpages.com (the best website cause it has a listing of mostly all the different types of sororites (local,NPC,NPHC, Latino,Asian,and Multicultural) plus it has links to various chapters of that particular organization.

www.geocities.com/localsororities (this is a site maintained by our own localsororites and it gives a detailed list of local sororities that our out there.

There are are also professional sororites such as Alpha Sigma Kappa- women involved in technical fields such as engineering

Sigma Alpha-women in Agriculture fields

Sigma Alpha Iota- women in music

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

[This message has been edited by prospectiverushee (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old 08-24-2000, 04:12 PM
Hailey

Question

Thanks for all your help guys! I just have one more question... What excactly is C.O.B. and informal rush? When is it? Would I not be able to pledge during the formal rush becuase I am too far along?
Old 08-24-2000, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hailey,

At my school we hold Informal Rush during the Fall semester, right when we get back. We hold formal rush during the Spring Semester. Informal is just more relaxed, and hence the name isn't formal, isn't filled with parties and dresses, and skits, and songs. I can't speak for all universities, but this is how informal works at my school.

It is held one week, and all houses hold events as often as they would like; usually every night. Those who are interested are able to go when they chose. They don't have to sign up or anything of the sort. Then houses may bid on girls on Informal bid day. A girl going through informal may receive more than one bid.

COB is continuous open bidding. We call it snap bidding on my campus. It means that a house can bid on a girl they want any time untill their at max quota, and up untill formal rush begins.

If you have any more q's let me know.

Kymberleigh
Delta Delta Delta