GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,205
4 members and 1,201 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, John, Low D Flat

Old 07-27-2002, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment help for Specific type of Chapter

I need help!!!!!

My sorority is limited to the specific majors of engineering. However, since engineering is male dominated that really limits our audience.
It is too diffacult for us to go through formal rush with the rest of the sororities on main campus, so we have informal rush following formal. We never really seem to be able to get may people to come to our Rush events.

Do you have any ideas of how we can have better PR to attract girls? Anything would help...we are basically starting from scratch since our chapter shrunk to a few people and all former knowledge has basically graduated.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aprilxo Send a message via Yahoo to aprilxo
Question I'm at least thinking about it...

Wow... a sorority FOR engineering girls! I think that 95% of my Chi Omega chapter here are engineering majors and we have lots of fun... Although I am one of the 5% non-engineers... pesky English majors

Helpers, helpers... hmm... you said that a lot of the prior knowledge graduated, so I'm guessing it's tough to get ahold of your alumnae? Graduating doesn't mean disappearing so I'd try and snag some of those long gone people and tap into their knowledge.

If that's not an option, then I'm sure there are lots of others. But I know virtually nothing about how things are done at your school, etc (like numbers of girls that go greek, sizes of groups, etc) oh and I take it to mean that by competition you mean you lose your potential members (female engineering majors) to the other sororities?
Old 07-28-2002, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Hi there! I too am a member of a specific kind of GLO, though mine is for girls in music. We have trouble getting members, but here's some things that really help.

Get your letters out there whenever possible! Make big cutout letters that say your sorority's name and tape them up in the engineering building. Wear your letters as much as possible.

Also, ask the dean if you can have one of the bulliten boards in the building only to be used by your sorority. We have one, and we decorate it monthly with SAI-related stuff. You can use this board to put up information, pictures, etc about your sorority so passersby can stop and read all about you!

When it comes close to time for rush/recruitment activities, post signs, posters, banners etc for it everywhere you can, and hand out invitations, etc.

Be as visible as possible, and talk to all the qualified girls as you can.

Hope this helps!