GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,076
1 members and 1,075 guests
naraht

Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thomas Arkle Clark - Illini Legend

I find it fascinating how the University of Illinois fraternity system is a relatively young one among state institutions, but a very stable one. It is my opinion that much of this is due to the foundation laid by Thomas Arkle Clark and his successor Fred Turner.

This appeared in the September 1922 issue of Banta’s Greek Exchange. It was reprinted from an Alpha Phi Quarterly which in turn had “taken a few liberties with the leading article in The Palm of Alpha Tau Omega by Thomas Arkle Clark which he calls ‘The Best Man in the Chapter.’ Substitute girl for man and it works just as well to our introspection.”

The Alpha Phi commentary noted that “Dr Clark does not believe that the best man in the chapter is he who is ranked at least close to the best student, has good manners, is well known about the campus, whose morals are unimpeachable, and whose family connections are excellent.”

According to the Alpha Phi Quarterly article, “Gleaned here and there through the article Dr Clark does believe that the best man in the chapter is:

“He who is first of all a good student.

“He who gives some thought to the work and welfare of the other fellows in the chapter as well as to himself.

“He who knows other fraternities and fraternity men and does not always think that their men are inferior to those in his own chapter.

“He who is always a man of principle and a man with a backbone whose fraternity ideals must be something more than mere words.

“He who is not only loyal to the chapter but loyal to the college who respects its regulations who knows its traditions who respects its good name.”

For more on Clark see http://wp.me/p20I1i-Yd
Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
I find it fascinating how the University of Illinois fraternity system is a relatively young one among state institutions, but a very stable one.
Damn right. I-L-L!