GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,403
0 members and 1,403 guests
No Members online

Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

How to Colonize on campus

Due to a family illness I had to transfer home. I miss my sisters so much, and I absolutely loved being an initiated member of my sorority. However, the school I go to now only has 2 sororities, none of which, being mine. How can I colonize my chapter at this new school? I want nothing more than to remain an active member of Greek life throughout my collegiate career.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

The college panhellenic has to see a need for a third sorority on campus and notify NPC that the campus is open for expansion. The NPC then notifies all its member sororities and each sorority decides if they want to submit an information packet. College panhellenic looks over all submission packets, invites several sororities to come to campus and make presentations, those sororities decided if they want to or not. After presentations are completed, college panhellenic votes to decide which sorority they will invite to colonize and then the chosen sorority decides to accept or decline.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 AM
GreekChat Member

You can't colonize a new ADPi chapter for the reasons mentioned above, but you can be involved as a Greek alumna by getting involved with your local ADPi alumnae association. I know it is not the kind of experience you want, but unless you transfer back to your old school or transfer to a school with an ADPi chapter that also votes to accept you as a transfer member, you must accept that you have alumna status with the sorority.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

I have heard of a few sorority women who transferred to various colleges that did not have a chapter of their sororities who volunteered their time to Panhellenic. That might be possible on your campus.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I know it is not the same - but you can always join/start a Beta Sigma Phi chapter. I began my first chapter in my college town because I went alumna in my sorority due to family reasons. I missed being "active." You probably wouldnt be able to do things like Greek Week etc, especially if you're not an official campus organization (you can start a chapter in a town, not on campus.) But BSP can give you that sisterhood you desire, and another sorority home that you can then be active in for the rest of your life.

PM me if you want more info - I just started a new chapter here in my new home (of 7 years) since I couldnt find a chapter I liked in the area.