Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,240
4 members and 1,236 guests
Cookiez17, Happy Alum, John

Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopicsunflower View Post
This article says that Alpha Phi already owns a house near campus (corner of Rose and Woodland). I hadn't heard that before and was wondering if that info was true or if perhaps the house is question belongs to the fraternity but is being leased to the Phis. Anyone know?

Sending lots of warm thoughts to our sisters as they start colonization tomorrow!
I believe the house that is being worked on is owned by Alpha Phi. The house of the fraternity in question has been turned into a temporary dorm. I cant remember if it is coed or all female. This fraternity's house is on Pennsylvania Ave., not the corner of Rose and Woodland.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Any news on the colony?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:51 AM

Congratulations Alpha Phi!

http://kykernel.com/2009/09/20/new-s...es-on-bid-day/

UK, meet Alpha Phi.
The introduction of the sorority, Alpha Phi Fraternity, to its campus home was completed when the new chapter welcomed more than 140 new pledges at its bid day Sunday afternoon.
Alpha Phi did something a little different with its recruitment from other sororities on campus. Rather than recruit in the summer, they waited until fall for their recruitment process.
Megan Bouche, director of extension for Alpha Phi, said that delaying recruitment is common for a new Alpha Phi chapter, and that next year, recruitment will be done in the summer.
Fall recruitment gave biology freshman Kate Moore an opportunity that she otherwise would not have had.
Moore, a student athletic trainer for the football team, said that she could not take part in the summer recruitment week because of football practice.
“My family lives in Virginia,” Moore said. “I’m eight hours away from home, and being part of Alpha Phi really makes the campus feel a lot smaller, a lot more welcoming … like home.”
Over 200 girls began Alpha Phi’s recruitment process, before the four rounds narrowed the number down to the 140 new pledges who signed their bid day cards.
Alpha Phi will be involved in nearly every Greek event starting with a hazing seminar on Monday, Bouche said.
Bouche said the sorority, with the help of consultants, has already set up date parties and philanthropy events for the upcoming year.
“You name it, we’ve got it,” she said.
Alpha Phi was chosen over two other sororities to be the university’s new organization. UK decided to bring a new organization to campus because existing houses and Panhellenic Council officers believed that the “community was ready,” Bouche said.
The UK chapter is the organization’s 150th chapter across the nation, she said.
Because the sorority is newly formed, it lacks experienced members to serve as big sisters, Bouche said.
That’s where Kelley Schillig, a member of the Panhellenic Council, stepped in. Schillig coordinated efforts to bring girls from other UK sororities to serve as big sisters while the young sorority adjusts to its environment.
“We wanted there to be someone where the new pledges could ask questions, someone they could go to if they need anything,” Schillig said. “They’re mainly juniors and seniors, so they know the campus, they know the Greek system.”
The surrogate big sisters will be offering their help for a ten-day period, she said. After that, they will turn it over to the Alpha Phi sisters themselves.
“We don’t want to overstep our boundaries and not let [the girls] have their own Alpha Phi experience,” Schillig said. “After ten days, the Alpha Phi sisters will be better prepared, and we can take a step back.”
“The UK community has been nothing but welcoming,” Bouche said. “We’ve felt like we were home from day one.”
Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
140 girls?! That's amazing!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
woot! I hope they put pictures up on the blog soon! I just read about it on Twitter
Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

woohoo!!! Congratulations to the new Phis and to our fantastic expansion team at UK!!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I love that other sorority women are stepping up and taking these girls as their littles! What an amazing opportunity to promote Panhellenic spirit!

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to Alpha Phi. And welcome to UK!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Alpha Phi was installed at the University of Kentucky on April 9, 2010 as our Iota Nu chapter!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, apparently Alpha Phi at Kentucky is getting a new house. Can anyone confirm this and know details?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The campus gossip today is that Alpha Phi is getting the Math House site, next to Pi Phi and across from the library. Good for them, they have done a tremendous job since arriving at UK. If true, it will be a coup. It's a tremendous location and much sought after. Need TSteven to get on this.

http://ukcc.uky.edu/cgi-bin/mapper?m...+m=0+x=04+y=05

#322 on this map.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

That will be a great location, next to Pi Phi and around the corner from DG. I wish they could be on the quad with the other sororities, but the houses vacated by Sigma Kappa, and ZTA are occupied by fraternities now. Those boys deserve the houses, but it would be nice to have sorority row complete again.
Any news as to where the new Phi Mu house will be?