Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,554
2 members and 1,552 guests
Cookiez17, PrettyBoy

Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumni activity in New England

I know that there is a thread about alumni involvement, but I wanted to start a new one to discuss the regional differences. I especially want to hear from alumni in the New England area.

We well know that the competitiveness of recruitment, and participation in Greek life in general is varied throughout the country. The South and parts of the Midwest are obvious hotspots, with a spattering of schools in different areas of the country going strong.

In the northeast/New England area, Greek life, no matter what size at the collegiate level, tends to "end" with graduation. People often say they "were" a member of ABC vs. they "are" are member. So I ask the following questions, with the caveat that you do not have to get specific about things pertaining to your particular GLO:

Is your GLO a member of NPC, IFC, Divine 9, local, service, etc.?

Are you active in your alumni chapter?

If so, approximately how many people attend meetings/events?

How many meetings/events do you have per calendar year?

If you are not involved, why not?

If there was something to inspire you to change your mind and start becoming more active, what would it be?

In your opinion, is there something than can be done at the collegiate level to encourage alumni involvement?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC

Yes. I am no longer living in the NE, but I held a position for almost my entire time as an alum.

3-20 depending on when it was.

Usually one a month.

n/a

If there was something to inspire you to change your mind and start becoming more active, what would it be?
n/a I held 3 positions.

In your opinion, is there something than can be done at the collegiate level to encourage alumni involvement?
I think that setting a good example is very important. By showing my involvement to the chapters I advised, I helped them see that Alpha Phi doesn't end at graduation.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in the Boston area, although I went to a Big XII school...

NPC

Yes, I am Programming Chair for my NPC alumnae chapter, am active in the process of re-establishing the Boston Alumnae Panhellenic, and advise a local collegiate chapter.

Anywhere between 5 and 20

About 25, these include informal "Girls Nights Out" to our more formal Founder's Day. In addition to these 25 meetings, we also have a book club which meets monthly.

N/A

N/A

A large proportion of New England colleges & universities are private and draw from various demographic areas. When students graduate, they move back home or go to graduate school, etc. Also, in Boston, it is only the dedicated alumnae who would drive from the South Shore to the North Shore for an event. We've tried to have events all over the city and metro areas and it has helped a bit, getting others involved.

Last edited by CUBuffs; 04-21-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
In the northeast/New England area, Greek life, no matter what size at the collegiate level, tends to "end" with graduation. People often say they "were" a member of ABC vs. they "are" are member.

This is generally not the case for New England NPHCers.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to college in New England, but I live in NYC. It was really hard for us to keep a solid advisory team for any longer than a year, and in part that's because most people tend to either go to the big cities or back to where they came from after college. As a result, there's not a ton of alumnae to pick from to serve as advisors. Most of our advisors lived/worked in the Boston area, and it's an hour between Providence and Boston. Most of our non-chapter alum advisors, unless the advisory position was a stepping stone to something else, weren't that committed to sticking it out with a chapter to which they had to travel at least an hour each way after work, in addition to having a family, etc.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in Pennsylvania now, but I went to college in Massachusetts and served on the Board of Directors (advisory board) for my chapter for two years after graduation (and before moving) and am a member of Theta Phi's recently formed Boston Alumnae Association.

NPC

I'm a dues paying member of the Boston Association, but it's unlikely I'll make it to any events given my location.

We just recieved our association charter, so there's only been one meeting so far! I know quorum was present, but beyond that, I can't say.

I think it's something like 2 business meetings, plus other random events (for example, I believe we're starting a tradition of walking in the Children's Hospital Miles for Miracles Walk).

n/a

n/a

Hard question. When I was advising, the graduating seniors always seemed enthusiastic about getting involved as alumnae, but once they graduated, the interest definitely dropped off. Out of the past few graduating classes, it seems like out of 10 or so girls, maybe 3 will stay involved. Granted that's not terrible retention considering as recently as 5 years ago there was NO Theta Phi Alpha alumnae activity in Boston. But, since it's a recent phenomenon I can't say if they'll stay involved and if the trend of recent grads becoming involved will continue. I'm hoping it's the sort of process that becomes self fufilling--if collegiate sisters see the graduating seniors get involved, they may be more likely to do so upon their graduation. I also think advertising alumnae involvement (at least insofar as joining the alumnae association anyway) as more fun than work may help. For example, describing it as an opportunity to catch up and have fun instead of chapter meeting-esque.

I'll probably come back & edit tomorrow. I'm kind of tired and feel like I'm not making sense
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
This is generally not the case for New England NPHCers.
Thank you for that distinction!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Like lauralaylin, I went to school in NE but moved back home after school. I'm close - but still is a solid 3 hour drive away. I've gone up a few times for initiation or founders' day. I'd go up more often (for like events) if I were invited - or notified in any way.

Generally speaking, I think the best way to encourage alum involvement is to have alums involved with collegians: full advisory boards, house corps, supporting collegiate events, providing workshops on "real-life" stuff like job interviewing, etc.

npc

very - but again, in NJ not NE, so i'll skip to the end...

I think the ecomony discourages recent grads from remaining near my college. Most head to NYC or Boston - or back home, wherever that may be.