GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,262
0 members and 1,262 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2006, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Unity in Brotherhood

There have been many heated discussions going back and forth in the various list servs around the country regarding the following:

1) The new font for Phi Mu Alpha.

2) The object - There are still alumni that are not pleased about the restoration of the object that occurred 3 years ago when the delegate body of our fraternity (along with overwhealming support from the general brotherhood) voted to restore it.

3) Alumni that feel that the overall existence of our alumni associations has turned into supporting collegiate chapters and leaving other alumni out of the picture.

Here are some of my thoughts on unity in brotherhood.

There's an ideal from antiquity that should be given some light. It's the Pythagorean view of "The Fusion of the Opposites to the Mean". The Pythagorean view is quite broad but should be duly noted.

Thinking back to your experiences in Sinfonia, in my opinion, it’s safe to say that we all have different views, experiences, culture, generations, and preferences but if we are true Sinfonians we can all fine tune our lives and find inner harmony together.

A brother goes to college and learns what he knows about our fraternity. The learned experience and true meaning of the purposes or object, whichever you are more comfortable with, are shared amongst brothers. However, they are unique to each chapter as to each new batch of alumni brothers. Brothers that share a given culture will attract brothers of the same nature. Inversely, the same group of brothers can intentionally or unintentionally repel brothers that do not share that culture. When brothers can put their own prejudice, arrogance, and mind set aside it will provide the ability to lend a hand to another brother and thus, fuse opposites. Lending a hand shouldn’t be, but can, be taken literally. Think about that one. Because we are all blinded by our own perceptions, in my opinion, it is simple to forget that we may be unintentionally alienating a brother, business partner; co-worker in the band hall, guy in Evansville or someone at Chili’s at any time when not necessary. Ultimately we should lend a hand on all levels to achieve what it is we are trying to achieve. It is not a simple task at times but an essential one to fuse the opposites to the mean.

In my opinion, our means to brotherhood are Phi Mu and Alpha. I was brought into Sinfonia under the Purposes but I love my brothers that were brought into this brotherhood under the Object. I will lend a hand to those who have walked the pathway before me, with me, and after me equally.

Fraternally,

Boodleboy322
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

1) i love the new font, logo, and the complete visual identity standards set by nationals. very professional and clean.

2) Being a brother who learned from the object, i feel that it has deep truths and lasting meaning that relates closely to Mill's writings. I don't know the purposes very well, although i have read them, and i feel that the update had little negative consequences and many positive.

3) As a brother looking to become an Alumni within the next year or two, i feel that the situation with the alumni needs some immediate attention. there is little interaction, from my point of view, between brothers who have graduated and moved on from their sheltering university. I could be greatly mistaken, but this is simply what i have observed.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschloz View Post
2) Being a brother who learned from the object, i feel that it has deep truths and lasting meaning that relates closely to Mill's writings. I don't know the purposes very well, although i have read them, and i feel that the update had little negative consequences and many positive.

3) As a brother looking to become an Alumni within the next year or two, i feel that the situation with the alumni needs some immediate attention. there is little interaction, from my point of view, between brothers who have graduated and moved on from their sheltering university. I could be greatly mistaken, but this is simply what i have observed.
Being a brother who learned the purposes, I continue to be whole-heartedly glad that we have returned to the Object. I really haven't run across anyone who feels differently.

And you're not mistaken in your observations, although great progress has been made in the last decade or so, and I am confident that more progress is coming.