Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,557
0 members and 1,557 guests
No Members online

Old 07-03-2001, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Greek Unity

Since our organizations were founded on the principle of cooperative effort, what do you do to promote Greek Unity? Do you respect members of all Greek Organizations? Why or why not?

[This message has been edited by TRSimon (edited July 05, 2001).]
Old 07-03-2001, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

i truly respect each greek organization.

each has a history that is to be admired. the good that each organization has done and is still doing stands alone.

each organization offers something positive to the community as a whole (and adds to campus life)

i really get upset when us bglo folks get to arguing over petty things like who did what first. it not only divides us more, but it also makes it seems as if our founders' purposes got lost over the years.

i wish i could see a lot more greek unity than i do.
Old 07-03-2001, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TRSimon:
what do you do to promote Greek Unity?
to show greek unity my chapter is always supporting other orgs. with their events.
just because it is not a Sigma Gamma Rho function does not mean we stay clear.

Old 07-03-2001, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOVE1920 Send a message via Yahoo to DOVE1920
Talking

I respect each organization BUT not every member.Personally I've always been close with Sigma Women and have been supportive of their programs. When I first stepped on campus I was greeted by SGRhos and even when I decided to become a Zeta they were VERY supportive of me.In terms of actions I think that supporting each others events is the most important part of Greek unity.
Old 07-03-2001, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I respect each organization of the NPHC, and do everything in my power to set an example of unity and peace. One must understand that we were all created with the same goal in mind, we just take different paths to get to it.

Much love and respect to my greek sisters and brothers... keep doing what you're doing!!

~Miss1908~

------------------
Depend not on your own strengths, but on the strength that come from the Lord.
Old 07-04-2001, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
Talking

I agree with RHOyal and Dove 1920...

i respect and admire each and everyone of the the Divine 9. when i on the yard of different campuses or even an event that draws my people i always look forward to seeing greeks.

i will admit that there are some people of the orgs that i do not admire.

i even like the lil competitions that go on on different campus...the feeling of walking a yard on trying to find out who runs the yard...whether it's my sorors or another org running the yard to the chants about our orgs or to see the divine 9 strolling through a party.

what would be nice is to see all of the Divine 9 on a campus at the same time.

------------------
Delta Alpha
Spring 94

Imaginer un métro rempli avec les anges tombés...

Evil knows where evil sleeps~~Nigerian Proverb
Old 07-04-2001, 08:45 PM

Personally, I think it is beautiful when a school has all the HBGLOs represented...they collaborate and show a lot of love toward one another. I think friendly competition is good, too--it keeps us on our toes.
I love seeing other orgs. doing their thing and representing POSITIVELY...I don't respect ANYONE who does a disservice to their founders and their letters.

Greek Love,
Chaos
Old 07-05-2001, 12:13 AM

Exclamation

Well I don't think our organizations should be in "competition" with one another. We are here to provide services for our communities and that should be irrespective of what other organizations are doing. But if we are "competing", what are we "competing" for?? We should strive for excellence at all times because that was the plan of our founders...not to "run" the yard...
Old 07-05-2001, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DOVE1920:
But if we are "competing", what are we "competing" for?? We should strive for excellence at all times because that was the plan of our founders...not to "run" the yard...
I agree with you Soror. Indeed, if we all followed the path laid by our Founders...

To answer your question simply: we all are competing for the best and brightest prospects, the most grants/power/prestige and campus/community resources, etc. Competition is healthy if it makes your ogranization stronger. It is unhealthy if you're so busy competing and showing your *zz by trying to be the big man/woman on campus that you forget the goals and missions of your organization and your Founders.

To answer the original question: I always feel a bond when I met someone who is a member of a HBGLO, regardless of affiliation. Since I traveled a lot in my last couple of positions, I was always on the lookout for a member of the NPHC around the country, and invariably would met one. Almost without exception, they were all very nice and super friendly. The most important way to encourage Greek Unity is to not allow alleged stereotypes about organizations, and the members therein, prevent you from actively participating in relationships and dialouge with others.

Clearly, I don't respect all members of all the HBGLOs, because some folks I've met have not been worthy of my respect.

Old 07-05-2001, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DableST_1
Cool

I love this Topic!!

I also love greek unity. At my school, I believe that we are the only school in Illinois that have ALL NINE organizations ACTIVE! I love going to parties, hearing the different chants, watching all of the organization stroll (or strut) And what I really like about it is that we have what you would call a unity stroll, where everyone is strolling togehter! :0

------------------
Da' Assassin
Epsilon Xi
Spring 2000
Old 07-05-2001, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DableST_1:
At my school, I believe that we are the only school in Illinois that have ALL NINE organizations ACTIVE!
What school do you attend? I attend school in IL as well.I agree that it is nice to see schools that have all chapters active and supporting one another.

Old 07-05-2001, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

As a member of the old school Spring 83'I must say that Greek unity has gotten much better. The greeks on the various campuses in my area Northern Virginia,DC,and MD are really trying to strive for greek unity. However, there are always a few folks in the various organizations that have that mentality that they would never associate or work with another organization. Believe it or not, some of those folks carry that attitude to their place of employment. I'm speaking from experience because we have eight of the nine at my job and some greeks won't even attend another organizations fundraisers (Scholoarship programs, blood drives, voter registration, etc.)because they don't respect other organizations. I'm a member of a graduate chapter and some of the greeks are still holding on to their undergraduate days or early days as members of their perspective organizations.

Interesting topic! Serioussigma22
Old 07-05-2001, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DableST_1
Quote:
Originally posted by DOVE1920:
Quote:
At my school, I believe that we are the only school in Illinois that have ALL NINE organizations ACTIVE!
What school do you attend? I attend school in IL as well.I agree that it is nice to see schools that have all chapters active and supporting one another.

Really??? Which school do you attend? To answer your question I attend SIU-E (Edwardsville not Carbondale) A lot of time when I tell people that I go to Southern, they automatically think Carbondale!!

------------------
Da' Assassin
Epsilon Xi
Spring 2000
Old 07-05-2001, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Really??? Which school do you attend? To answer your question I attend SIU-E (Edwardsville not Carbondale) A lot of time when I tell people that I go to Southern, they automatically think Carbondale!!
I attend DePaul. I sent you an email.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Alias_01
Quote:

Wow...I think that SIU-E is the only Illinois school that has all 9 of the NPHC orgs. I am also from the Ill-State and I've visited all the majors (Northern, Southern, Eastern, Western, U OF I, I-State) and I have found that are always 1 or 2 orgs missing due to disciplinary(sp?) problems. The greeks I know from SIU are pretty cool but I was unaware that Depaul had NPHC greeks. Who is represented over there at the home of the blue demons?