GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,324
0 members and 1,324 guests
No Members online

Old 11-16-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Motivation in your chapter?

N

Last edited by Dani_Sigmagirl; 01-16-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Sigmagirl View Post
Is there anything yall do to motivate the girls in your chapter? Any ideas/suggestions would be great! Thank you!!!
For one, I'd stop airing my chapter's dirty laundry in public. Especially when it is obvious what chapter you're in. My motivation would be out the window if my president put stuff online that should stay among sisters only.

Chapter business is chapter business, end of story.

If you need to ask for ideas to help with motivation, then ask. But don't say, "We need motivation cause Sally got all huffy and walked out." Sally will read this, so will her closest sisters, and they'll be miffed. And you've lost all chances of actually motivating your chapter.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockPuppet3 View Post
For one, I'd stop airing my chapter's dirty laundry in public.
Wait, wait, wait....

Seriously???

Seriously??????

Old 11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow, thanks Sockpuppet. I didn't use any names, for the exact reason that you put. No, its not very obvious what chapter I'm from, considering none of that info is on my profile. If you didn't like my thread, why did you just not respond?

I wasn't trying to cause any problems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole point of this forum was to get other ideas from sisters. (emphasis on the word sister!)
None of that info is on your profile NOW, but don't pretend like it wasn't. It was.

Secondly, regardless of it saying "Sigma Sigma Sigma" at the top of the forum, it's still a public venue where anyone is free to read and comment.

/Just sayin'
Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Frog and Sock Puppet are right. I saw your location (university and which branch) before you removed it.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

While AlphaFrog & SockPuppet might have been a bit more frank than I would've been, they are right in that this is personal chapter business that needs to be discussed with your officer board and chapter.

I will suggest talking to the older women and asking them why it is that they no longer think Sigma is "fun."

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
In my opinion this is absolutely the right venue to ask these types of questions. That doesn't mean she shouldn't take advantage of her advisers, but realistically there are thousands of people on here from hundreds, maybe thousands of chapters.

Many of them are advisers, officers, ex-officers, past presidents, or just members with personal and relevant experiences they can share. Thats a resource far in excess than any handful of well meaning people with the title of chapter adviser could match, and it would be a shame not to tap into it.

The people that suggested you not post your actual chapter information are probably right, although over vehement about it. And its more to protect yourself from being hassled than anything.

Its not that posting this chapter stuff is bad, but it could get back to some of your chapter members and cause misunderstandings and drama.

Try doing a search for motivation you should find some useful threads. And I am sure there will be others that will post here for you.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

My biggest suggestion is to find out WHY girls aren't excited about Sigma. I remember you posting at one point that you are sisterhood chair or something like that. Are girls not coming to sisterhood events like you would want them to?

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
By the way, I edited my post up there, so there's absolutely NO personal, chapter, etc. information in it. I hope thats better...
FYI: it is pretty easy to click "read all posts by Dani_sigmagirl" and your first post is the Sigma Sigma Sigma roll call with all your info. I just didn't want you to think that you're being "anonymous." While I don't think that most people on GC care where you are from or anything, someone from another group on your campus could use this kind of stuff as fodder for gossip.

Addressing your question... motivation is a hard thing to create. There are always going to be a couple people who aren't going to be motivated.

My advice is to ignore them and focus on the women who either are already motivated or maybe could be if they had a little encouragement (a note in their mailbox recognizing something they did recently might be all it takes). Once other members see how much they are missing out by not being involved, that itself might be motivation.

Do you have a way to recognize members who do a good job on something from meeting to meeting? If not, consider starting something like that! Work into the tradition something having to do with sorority (sailler girl of the week, violet of the week, carebear of the week) so it will stick. Maybe a purple carebear with a EEE T-shirt that you pass around the chapter, the recipient giving it to someone she feels is doing an awesome job the next week?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Aww, I like the carebear idea! How cute!

Our adviser tried doing a thing sort of like that, she took a brick and decorated it (something done in the chapter she is from) and started it by giving it to a girl who she thought would motivate to be more involved...instead, she just never brought it back to meeting :S....so we did, but its kind of hard to pass on when it's not brought to meeting.

The only other thing I do is to encourage girls to check their emails, I give a prize to the first three sisters that respond back to a random email during the week.

Thanks for the great ideas!
Hi Dani,

I think everyone (regardless of affiliation) goes through stages where they lose interest. One thing that worked for my chapter was at the beginning of each semester to hold a "vow renewal" for all initiated members. Go to your local craft store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.) and look for some cheap rings. You can find some in the aisles geared towards cake decorating. When each member has "renewed" their vows, give them each a ring that they can wear. Each time they look at their ring, they'll remember why they joined Tri Sigma and their vows. I believe this is on the National Website in the Horizons section.

Rebecca

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-21-2007 at 02:16 PM.