GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,403
3 members and 1,400 guests
John, Phrozen Sands, PrettyBoy

Old 04-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
If your chapter president is breaking rules and procedures, then someone does need to do something. She isn't above the law. Procedures and bylaws are there to protect everyone and the president of all people should be adhering to them.
The only procedure or bylaw I see that she broke is not removing the rush chair for grades...something in which the VP was also complicit, and of course the rush chair herself not coming forward and admitting it. The OP isn't calling for the VP to lose her office.

Although reading this again, it seems as though she might be saying the prez took over as rush chair. In a chapter of 40, sometimes that stuff happens - the person who's standing there is the one who sticks her finger in the dike. My question is why there isn't/wasn't an assistant rush chair.

Last edited by 33girl; 04-02-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The only procedure or bylaw I see that she broke is not removing the rush chair for grades...something in which the VP was also complicit, and of course the rush chair herself not coming forward and admitting it. The OP isn't calling for the VP to lose her office.

Although reading this again, it seems as though she might be saying the prez took over as rush chair. In a chapter of 40, sometimes that stuff happens - the person who's standing there is the one who sticks her finger in the dike. My question is why there isn't/wasn't an assistant rush chair.
Of course, we are only getting part of the story. I doubt very seriously that the President removed the rush chair for grades without the input of an advisor. Rank and file members don't always know the back story of everything going on in the chapter. As for the President "giving the chapter a bad name" if this is really happening, i really think she should try to handle this very delicately but definitely try to address it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 04-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I'd be surprised if a president could just unilaterally remove another officer. Most chapters have some sort of disciplinary body that would have to meet and handle this. Usually, that includes at least one alumna advisor.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Let your advisers know you aren't happy. Also, call her before standards if she is violating sorority rules, same as you would for any other member.

The chapter voted her into office, so you have to deal with it. Also, I don't see how not making grades led your recruitment VP to violate some recruitment rules. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Also, unless you are on the exec board, you don't really know why she was left in office. It could be a "cover up" or it could well be that they needed someone in that office to run recruitment who had been trained and there wasn't time to train someone else.

So report her bad behavior to the proper channels. The proper channels up are your advisers, not your national HQ.

If you don't like this advice, then drop out. I can promise you that no changes are going to happen overnight or in the next week, so if you are that impatient, then go find something else to do. Greek Life does abide by a set of rules, there is a chain of command, and like it or not, things are very political.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Also, I don't see how not making grades led your recruitment VP to violate some recruitment rules. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Also, unless you are on the exec board, you don't really know why she was left in office. It could be a "cover up" or it could well be that they needed someone in that office to run recruitment who had been trained and there wasn't time to train someone else.
The way I read it is that the recruitment VP should have been removed and wasn't until word leaked out that she hadn't made grades and they were forced to remove her. The president stood in for the recruitment VP during recruitment rather than electing someone else. And because the president didn't know the rules and procedures, the chapter was fined for rush infractions.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

OP has a history of posting questions and running off
Quote:
The sorority I just joined has a "boring" reputation....I'm planning on turning this image around. I have a lot of good ideas for parties I got from this thread. However, I'm not sure how to have mixers any more. My university has registered parties and only 5 fraternities and 5 sororities, so it's kind of impossible for me to think of a way to have a mixer where alcohol is involved.

I hate it, but let's face it, alcohol is the only incentive for the other Greeks to want to get to know us better. I would especially love to have a blacklight party w. and open bar....but I don't know how to do any of this.

(And don't get me wrong, I LOVE my sisters and my sorority! I just wish we did more social events.)
From two years ago.

I suggest that the OP can provide more info, or we can stop trying to fix her problems with more effort than she seems to put into fixing them. (On GC at least, but since she posted here that's the metric.)
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
The way I read it is that the recruitment VP should have been removed and wasn't until word leaked out that she hadn't made grades and they were forced to remove her. The president stood in for the recruitment VP during recruitment rather than electing someone else. And because the president didn't know the rules and procedures, the chapter was fined for rush infractions.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
That's what I thought on second read too, except the main VP (not the rush vp - she is a third person) was also involved in the cover-up. For some reason though, it's OK that the main VP lied to the sorority.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's what I thought on second read too, except the main VP (not the rush vp - she is a third person) was also involved in the cover-up. For some reason though, it's OK that the main VP lied to the sorority.
I agree that the VP lying is bad too. But apparently the lying is only one reason why the OP thinks the president needs to be removed.

And maybe she doesn't need to be removed, but just needs guidance. It almost sounds like there isn't a lot of adviser input and that's too bad. I learned so much from my advisers and the national officers I worked with. The leadership training I got through my Tri Delta experience was just as valuable as my college education.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I thought this was going to be about the last two administrations.
+1

Try internally. If everyone agrees they made a mistake, and if your bylaws somehow don't have procedures for this, you may have to hold elections for all positions again. It's what we did in high school but there you go. If not everyone agrees with you, a term only lasts so long.
Try your governing council if you have one (this is a national sorority right?)
If that doesn't work maybe try your university...but you run the risk of annoying everyone or shutting everything down.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe

Hmm..well she's definitely the bad apple that's spoiling the bunch. I can understand why you would feel frustrated. I think if you know that everyone is feeling this way then as a unit go and confront her. Not like, 39 v 1 that would be crazy! But let it be known that as your highest official that either she's got to get her act together or step down. Sorry..
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

About the standards board issue--- if standards is ran like it is in my org, the process is private and confidential. To the OP, they could be handling it, but you may not know (as you shouldn't, if you have a private and confidential standards)