GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,092
0 members and 1,092 guests
No Members online

Old 01-23-2009, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappadivstar View Post
Wow...I just found this thread and I realize it's like 6 months old- by my chapter basically got beat to hell in this extremely one sided story. Its unfortunate that no one from our chapter was apparently on this board at this time.

Can I take this time to point out that the two chapters being "colonized" never happened, and the KBG website STILL hasn't been updated? This is ridiculous. I am so offended by this.
Wow. I'd say "beat to hell" is a little dramatic.

Also, I love how you're offended by the discussion, so you bump it up so people can talk about it some more.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Wow. I'd say "beat to hell" is a little dramatic.

Also, I love how you're offended by the discussion, so you bump it up so people can talk about it some more.
I didn't bump it neccessarily for that reason, I just thought it was unfair how one-sided it was, and I figured that it would be good to hear the other side.

Guess not. I'll go back to being a "disloyal asshat".
Old 01-23-2009, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't bump it neccessarily for that reason, I just thought it was unfair how one-sided it was, and I figured that it would be good to hear the other side.

Guess not. I'll go back to being a "disloyal asshat".

But you didn't GIVE anyone an other side. You just said you were "beat to hell" and were offended.

We've had members of former KBG chapters come here and give details from their side of the fence, and they said alot more than "I'm offended."

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But you didn't GIVE anyone an other side. You just said you were "beat to hell" and were offended.
I COULD get into it. I just didn't think anyone was really that interested. I just felt like I should say SOMETHING. I mean, don't you think most people would want to stand up for their chapter? Even if we are asshats, I still have pride in my chapter...

I totally get what you're saying...I just thought it would look silly if i came out of nowhere and wrote a several paragraph story.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:

I totally get what you're saying...I just thought it would look silly if i came out of nowhere and wrote a several paragraph story.
I wouldn't think of it as silly at all.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, you should tell the story.

Also not to add any flame but since leaving KBG the group is the biggest chapter at Loyola...

Last edited by lucgreek; 01-23-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The chapter was not released by KBG national. The girls did not "disassociate" - what they did made the chapter disappear. If they didn't want to be in KBG, they could have terminated themselves from KBG and started an interest group for a new NPC sorority. The problem is that would have taken time, getting recognized, etc, and apparently "don't care how, I want it now!!" You say that there are girls who didn't want the switch - why couldn't they have kept the KBG chapter alive? It sounds like the girls who went to KKG shit talked KBG to LUC's Panhel and LUC in general, because if LUC had such an issue with KBG not being NPC they would have done something about it before this.

There's a GC poster whose mom was a KBG alumna from LUC and apparently the alums had NO idea any of this was happening. I'm sorry, but that is absolutely inexcusable.
There are so many things wrong with this. The process of disaffiliating began almost two years before we were installed as KKG. For several years, we had been dissatisfied with our nationals. BootyKBG really stretched the truth on the activities and actions they took. There was only one national e-board member at the time we were talking with KBG about disaffiliating. We, much like the F&M chapter, were not looking for "stuff" from KBG, we just needed support in many things and didn't get it.

33girl, you said that we did not disaffiliate and just "made our chapter disappear". We in fact did disaffiliate. There is no way we would have been able to affiliate into a new organization if we hadn't. In the fall of 2006, we disaffiliated and were therefore, an interest group. We did not become a colony of KKG until late January or early February the following year. Maybe BootyKBG thinks we didn't, but we turned in our badges. We gave back our letters. We were no longer affiliated with, OR receiving alumnae support of, KBG.

We had 10 or 11 NPCs who wanted to present on campus once we were an interest group. Obviously the NPCs found nothing wrong with our actions...after 3 presentations, we chose to affiliate with Kappa, and the rest is history.

We had a few girls who didn't want to go through with the disaffiliation process. Most who didn't disaffiliate weren't very active and were using the process as an excuse to "drop out" of greek life in general. Some girls stayed active and were very happy with their choice, and we are still good friends with them. They are now satisfied alumnae. We did not in any way force KBG off campus. I know a few months later, KBG nationals came in and tried to have an informal recruitment, and as LUCgreek said, it was the school's decision to become involved and ask them to leave. So no, 33girl, we did not "shit talk" to panhel. For years, they were anti greek life, anti house, etc. Now there are talks of opening up for expansion in the next year or two.

I am sorry to the alumae upset by our decision, but I have to say, sometimes things change. In the 1960s, when chitownxo's mom was KBG, it was a different organization. We have no hard feelings for them at this time, but joining with an NPC was best for our chapter, and our campus.
Just two years ago, the largest chapters on campus had around 60 girls. This fall, two of Loyola's sororities topped 100+, and KKG is the largest on campus.

I know that there is always going to be drama with things like this but honestly, there is none on the LUC campus. I doubt most of the new members of the last two years even know about KBG. I am now an alumna of the school, but I am continually impressed with Loyola's greek life, and the sisterhood and support provided to us by Kappa.

Also, LUCgreek, did you graduate?? Or are you still at Loyola?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We, much like the F&M chapter, were not looking for "stuff" from KBG, we just needed support in many things and didn't get it.
Question: What types of things were you needing support in that KBG wasn't giving you? Can you give examples? Alot has been said about this (that you were looking for "things"), but I'd like to know what exactly you felt you weren't getting (if you can say publicly of course).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-23-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I am still a student at LUC and active in greek life. I know little about panhel since I'm in a fraternity, but from what I've heard from rumors they ideally want another group to colonize this fall (which I'd love to see). There is also talk of another NIC fraternity coming in a few years.

Of all the girls I knew in KBG (from my limited experience with them), I don't remember any who were outright pissed about it. If I remember right, KBG was the group with the lowest amount of girls and now as KKG they are on top.

Off Topic: KKG also dominated powerpuff this year (though PSS did give them a run for their money in the last game)
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Question: What types of things were you needing support in that KBG wasn't giving you? Can you give examples? Alot has been said about this (that you were looking for "things"), but I'd like to know what exactly you felt you weren't getting (if you can say publicly of course).
I don't want to say too much because I personally, and all of my sisters, really did love KBG and hold our alumnae in high regards. Yes, I am a kappa, but I will always have an attachment to butterflies...(the KBG symbol).

But one thing I will say is, imagine how hard it is to recruit. Yes, we are a great sisterhood. We get along well, we work hard, and we love our chapter. But sometimes that isn't enough. When someone asks about national members, alumnae groups, etc. conversation kind of falls flat. You WANT to be able to tell them that your sisterhood is the best, but when you keep hearing, "We're updating our website. We're sending a consultant" and you never see it done, its hard to sing praises. Honestly, I don't think most people understood the concept of a national non-NPC, and just thought we were a local. I know several girls looked at the website and were put off by the fact that it hadn't been updated basically since I was in high school. And what nittyalum said about "not knowing how to be a KBG chapter" is somewhat true. Obviously we had many traditions as we had been a chapter for a long time, but things change. Different programs are organized. We were just frustrated by a lack of organization. Also, I am not blaming KBG in any way- its hard to be organized when you just don't have the numbers to do so. But basically, under KBG we were just unable to thrive. As lucgreek pointed out, Kappa has taken a large part in turning greek life around at Loyola. And kappa itself has gone from "that other sorority" to one of the most prominent groups on campus.

Does that answer your Q a little bit??
Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
Off Topic: KKG also dominated powerpuff this year (though PSS did give them a run for their money in the last game)
I think you forgot to mention that KKG has dominated the last 3 years actually.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I'm glad to hear the other side of this story.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if you can answer this but which NPCs wanted to present to you guys and which ones actually presented before you chose KKG?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
I don't know if you can answer this but which NPCs wanted to present to you guys and which ones actually presented before you chose KKG?
I'll PM you, lucgreek. I don't think its something I should post on the forum, but a lot of people at Loyola know because of Panhel, etc.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Judas Priest, this thing has more lives than the Mary Kay thread. From what I was told from various sources, I stand by what I posted. As I said, if LUC was that anti-KBG, they would have pushed NPC affiliation long before this.

And I don't think "things change" is an excuse for leaving 50 years worth of alumnae completely in the dark. Freaking call them, post a notice concerning the possible change in the alum newspaper, put it on your website, use common courtesy. Maybe they would have understood and rallied and improved KBG overall by getting involved themselves...but oh well, guess we'll never know because "things change."

Last edited by 33girl; 01-25-2009 at 04:40 PM.