Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 895
0 members and 895 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Going to far? You decide

I saw this on another website, and was wondering what the GCers thought...

Getting through to teens

While I disagree with him saying the inmate masturbated to a teen's webpage, this may be one of the few ways to show a teenager it CAN happen to them.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Sorry, but I LOLed when it said he called the girl who fled the auditorium... on a number he got online.

I am continually shocked by the lack of privacy and discretion young people (well, and some older folx) have and what they'll post online for the entire world's consumption (including weirdos that probably are satisfying themselves to all kinds of peoples' pictures and life's news). I fear the bar they have for what is appropriate to share online and what isn't is so low they are going to be caught completely unprepared when they grow up into their adult lives.

I don't think he should have called a girl "slutty", but it sounds like what he said at least resonated.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:16 PM

I don't think the ends justify the means here. He could have easily used similar pages from people WHO DON'T GO TO THE SCHOOL. But these kids were humiliated in front of their peers by what he said. They haven't learned anything about privacy or discretion - they've learned that being a police officer makes it OK for you to degrade others under the guise of "teaching." I mean, a grown, professional man does not call someone else "slutty" when he's on his job.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I tried to go to the link and it was blocked at work for S E X <blink>
Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Sorry, but I LOLed when it said he called the girl who fled the auditorium... on a number he got online.

I laughed too. LOL

I would have loved to have been a teenager in that audience so I could laugh at the slutty girls for the rest of the school year.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I would like to say his tactics were inappropriate. But if this girl takes her page down, then maybe it will save her from being stalked, dragged into a shack, and raped. And maybe 50 other girls in the audience with just as awful facebooks/myspaces/whatever else they use.

These kids love shock value. That's why their pages look the way they do. If you dish it, be ready to take it. Better the cop than the criminal. Better the devil that you know.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I would have loved to have been a teenager in that audience so I could laugh at the slutty girls for the rest of the school year.
Me tooo! LOL! I don't think this was going too far.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't think the ends justify the means here. He could have easily used similar pages from people WHO DON'T GO TO THE SCHOOL. But these kids were humiliated in front of their peers by what he said.
I can't put it better than this.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't think the ends justify the means here. He could have easily used similar pages from people WHO DON'T GO TO THE SCHOOL.
He could have, but then you know the students would think "oh that sucks for that person, but it could never happen to me."
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

i smell bacon

i love bacon
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

At an old job (an underling in recruiting), I was seriously paid to stalk people on the internet, looking at people's pages like Facebook, MySpace, etc. and many, many other things. I'm pretty good at it, and lots of people are much better than me. Despite explaining this, and telling family and friends about the "wall of shame" at work where we put up particularly hideous things we came across that pretty much blacklisted people from ever getting a job through us, most people I talked to still left everything up online. So bravo, Mr. Cop, if scare tactics is what it takes to get through to people, use them. People need to realize that the Internet is not private --- if you don't want any and everyone (potential employers, creepy rapists, your parents ... whoever!) to know about it, DON'T put it online. Not that hard a concept.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
I am usually a staunch liberal on these things... but i agree with the RoboCop on this one. They put that stuff out there, and I myself have cruised the myspace pages to look at hotties (no masturbation done though, atleast not at the computer with the picture in front of me, lmao). These kids put it out there, they should be willing to pay the consequences. Putting other peoples pages, who don't go to the school, would not be effective because the kids are going to laugh and be like, yay, she is slutty. No one would take offense, because EVERYONE has seen those profiles. So they would go on with their myspace pages, etc, and not think another word.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.e.B.O.T. View Post
They put that stuff out there, and I myself have cruised the myspace pages to look at hotties (no masturbation done though, atleast not at the computer with the picture in front of me, lmao).
Ew. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate when people go to far. I rather go to near. It's much closer..