Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,257
0 members and 1,257 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Wedding gifts for military/Iraq couples

I mentioned some time ago that my LS got married a couple weeks ago. They knew he was being sent to Iraq, but not until September. Surprise, that date got pushed up... to June.

yeah, June as in a few days.

anyway, I was reading the "thank-you note" thread and then the "would you marry a military man?" and then thought, i actually havent gotten them a wedding gift.

what would be a good wedding gift that may also be helpful for them as he is leaving? are there items/services that soldiers would like that would, say, help them keep in touch or be comforting? i dont know, but i like to give gifts that are useful and thoughtful. A pretty vase isn't gonna do a damn for their marriage.

Suggestions?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Isn't there a way to buy phone time for soldiers?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree--anything that will make it easier for them to communicate is good.

The other suggestion I would have is a gift card to Hallmark--sending cards gets expensive. Or maybe a journal of some kind for each of them to write about their time apart?

Maybe a certificate for a couples massage or something that will help them spend private time together before he leaves?

If you have access to photos from the wedding, you might get a pillowcases made with their photo on it so each can be reminded every night of their special day--corny, but effective.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

If you do decide to do the prepaid calling cards, make sure they are the AT&T global cards. Those are the ones with the best rate, and can be used just about anywhere.

Depending on how much money you want to spend, you might consider a small digital camera/camcorder. I loved being able to record video mail and burn it to a cd to send home when I was overseas.

Some pretty stationary for her to write letters to him on might be nice...or a journal she could write and keep while he's overseas, to give to him when he returns. My husband and I both kept journals when he was overseas and we exchanged them when he got home. He told me at first, he thought the idea of writing in a journal ever night, or every few days was a little "gay" (his words, not mine) but he soon realized that it was an escape for him at the end of the day, to sit down and write what was on his mind, as if he were talking to me.

*edit* I didnt realize that LPI had already mentioned the journal idea. You might also consider packing supplies, boxes and tape, etc. You can get a free "military pack" from the post office, with flat rate shipping so she can send stuff to him for super cheap. These packs are free (or, at least they were last I heard) but coupled with something else, it might make for a nice gift....

Quote:
Military Care Package Kit
Since Priority Mail service supplies are the packaging of choice for families preparing care packages for service members overseas, the USPS has created a "Mili-kit" based on the items most frequently requested by the military.

The kit contains:
Three (3) each of flat rate boxes O-FRB1 and O-FRB2
Two (2) each of Cube boxes OBOX7
Address labels - Label # 228 8 each
Address labels - Label # 106-A 1 each
Customs FORM 2976-A 8 EA.
Customs FORM 2976-E 8 EA.

The kit may be requested by calling 1-800-610-8734 (Packing Supply) and:
Choose your language (1 is English, 2 is Spanish).
Choose option 1 (it states it is for Express Mail service, Priority Mail or Global Express Guaranteed).
When you reach a live agent, request CAREKIT04.
Please allow 7-10 days for delivery.
Note: These are free supplies, postage must be affixed.

Last edited by amanda6035; 06-02-2008 at 03:32 PM.