GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,481
2 members and 1,479 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

How long to get a passport now?

Anybody apply for/or get their passport recently? How long did it take? I'm not sure if I should do expedited or not...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this is recently enough for you, but I applied for my passport at the beginning of August, and had it in three weeks. I didn't expedite my passport, and I was shocked to get it so quickly. I filed it in Massachusetts...I'm not sure if where you file it makes a difference.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

This lady I work with got hers in about three weeks. This was about a month ago.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like maybe the big backlog from last year is all settled. Thanks folks!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Allow yourself plenty of time, though the back up has cleared up. My boyfriend ordered his a couple months ago. While he got it in what I thought was a relatively quick amount of time, it was certainly longer than 3 weeks.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I applied for mine last year. But it was new- I had not gotten a passport since I was 10. The toughest part was the waiting at the post office. I think it took 6 weeks- if it is a renewal, it will probably take a lot less than that.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Anybody apply for/or get their passport recently? How long did it take? I'm not sure if I should do expedited or not...
went for mine back in january and got mine expedited...had it it 6 weeks...just don't wait til 2 months before your trip and try it tho....and for the intial paperwork submission it does depend on where you go...in downtown DC there is a place around the corner from where I work that keeps a line daily of people trying to appply for one....if you know of a post office that is kind of out of the way that does passport paperwork, I suggest you go there.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, we have an out of the way post office that even does them on Saturday. My daughter will be travelling in June and I planned to do the application on the 8th, so I think she'll be just fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post

I applied the first week of this month (november) and got mine last week. I did not pay to have it expedited since we arent traveling outside the US until summer (hopefully to northern europe). Unless you need it asap i wouldnt pay the extra fee to have it expedited. It's expensive enough.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright, so I have two questions:

1) I'm applying for a passport for the first time. How long does this take?

2) Has anyone applied for Irish citizenship? I'm eligible and am thinking about doing the dual-citizenship thing just because I can.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
Alright, so I have two questions:

1) I'm applying for a passport for the first time. How long does this take?

2) Has anyone applied for Irish citizenship? I'm eligible and am thinking about doing the dual-citizenship thing just because I can.
When I applied for mine which was the first time this month and got it this month. I dont know the answer to question 2. However, if i was eligible for Irish citizenship I'd probably do it just because most of my ancestry is from Ireland and I'm proud of that.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Your daughter should have more then enough time if you apply now for the summer. My first time getting a passport I applied in early spring and had it in time to leave in July.

I hope she has a good time!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Even with the backlog, I still had my passport within about 10 or 11 weeks. Getting it put in now should be no problem.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I just read in one of my local papers that the wait is back down to 3-6 weeks.
Back to normal. More or less.

Still, do not wait for the very last moment.

Also, if a member of AAA, you can get free photos.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Mine took 12-13 weeks because I messed up somewhere along the way...

Basically, to do it without screw-ups, go to your US Postal Service, act very ignorant like you have never been overseas, and let them do the work for you. Just bring 2 passport sized pictures from AAA, drug stores, or Kinko's FedEX.

Remember, if you need your passport VERY SOON, go directly to the US Postal Service--they are your greatest ally... When I went to them, I got all the help I needed. I should have started off with that. None of the other shipping companies could help...

I did dumb things, like failed to send the passport folks a cashier's check/money order...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana