Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,496
1 members and 1,495 guests
John

Old 11-02-2007, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Lose of Zeta Pi Chapter

After getting this week's Beta Wire, I am saddened to see another chapter closed.

How many has it been in the last few years?

But I am concerned with the comments on procedure made by the Chapter President.

The chapter admits to making a mistake (was not clarified exactly).

He brought forth the issue of the evidence being hearsay and questioned the lack of photgraphs to support the verbal descriptions of the party.

So, I ask my Brother Thurling where are the Chapters pictures showing the nice party tables without all the "beer bottles" per Dr. Davis.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I did a real quick read of that same e-mail, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the campus shut them down, not the GF. Whatever the case, chapters are not just shut down for one drinking incident, it's typically a few worth of infractions that the last one just put over the top. For me, it's sad to see another one shut down, but the university and the GF have to do whats best for themselves and the potential members. If that means dissolving, sobeit. Better than a dead pledge.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

GF Pulled Charter

I though one article stated that following the University action, the GF pulled the charter, made the current members Alumni and will give the new pledges a chance to be members of another local chapter.

I know that a school does not take such harse action over just one event. And I am sure there are other incidents in this chapter's history.

But I want to see the chapter fight if it was truely accused of something that did NOT occur.

So, if there are pictures that show no booze on the table over the course of the evening, I want to see them. If there are pictures to the contrary, I want to know that my Brothers have seen them, aknowledge the existance of the pictures and take responsibility for their actions at the party.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
Well, there is this article from the Pepperdine paper
http://graphic.pepperdine.edu/news/2...11-01-beta.htm

It says that they were on probation status in 2005. They reached good status again last spring. This incident was just of students saying there was alcohol present. The school decided that this chapter is consumed in an alcohol culture and so it shut it down. Now here is the weird part. They had seven days to appeal, but couldnt, because within that time the GF yanked their charter. The GF could investigate a little better, i would say. This is all based off of hersay.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Nice. Maybe one day the GF will actually accomplish their goal of dismantling the entire fraternity a chapter at a time.

What's the goal this year guys?

"Well gentlemen, I think we should shut down at least 10 chapters this year. That will show those undergrads who is boss. Any alumni that question our authority will will be ex-communicated also."
Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
The has to be Horras at work right there because I know the old guy (i usually know his name but i am blanking) would have atleast spent time investigating a little.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.e.B.O.T. View Post
Now here is the weird part. They had seven days to appeal, but couldn't, because within that time the GF yanked their charter. The GF could investigate a little better, I would say. This is all based off of hersay.
And this worries me. Thus my "request" to have the the chapter post its own pictures of the event.

It would seem this chapter had some history and was working to better itself.

I just wish there was more disclosure by all parties (to include of own GF) so everyone has the full, honest truth. Leave names out, call them Brother Alpha Beta, but tell us full story.

What other things has this chapter done that would have the GF pull it charter so fast? Has this chapter been brought forth before the rest of the Brotherhood and held accoutnable for its actions?

The last reports publiushed in the BTP magazine shows a decent chapter. Did they make someone extra upset at the Convention?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

To quote the article:

Quote:
Because the restaurant has a bar, Beta Theta Pi leaders had reserved a private room for the night and notified active members that there would be no drinking at the event, said chapter President Trevor Thurling.

“We had done everything in our power to prevent any sort of infraction,” he said. “We did not provide alcohol and we did not knowingly promote this as an alcohol event.”

He also added that the students rushing had signed a contract agreeing not to drink during Recruitment.

Although I agree that there seem to have been some hasty action(s) taken against this chapter, I must point that Brother Thurling contradicts himself. They did not, in fact, do everything in their power. If they were truly worried about the availability of alcohol at a Rush event, they shouldn't have even used a facility that provided it.

This sets a scary precedent: verbal accusations w/o physical evidence can close a chapter.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what Pepperdine's chapter was like, but the rest of the chapters in Southern California are going strong.

Is there any word if there are plans to expand to other SoCal schools?