Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,181
0 members and 1,181 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Girls who complain about their problems at greater risk of developing anxiety and dep

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-gwc071307.php

Quote:
A researcher at the University of Missouri-Columbia has found that girls who talk very extensively about their problems with friends are likely to become more anxious and depressed.

The research was conducted by Amanda Rose, associate professor of psychological sciences in the College of Arts and Science. The six-month study, which included boys and girls, examined the effects of co-rumination – excessively talking with friends about problems and concerns. Rose discovered that girls co-ruminate more than boys, especially in adolescence, and that girls who co-ruminated the most in the fall of the school year were most likely to be more depressed and anxious by the spring.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
interesting. what are you trying to say James? lol

I want to read this all the way through, but it doesn't surprise me. Ruminating contributes significantly to the cycle of depression and anxiety, without proper feedback to break these cycles and effective treatment strategies, girls are more prone to fall deeper into depression or have anxiety problems.

Last edited by AlethiaSi; 08-02-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlethiaSi View Post
interesting. what are you trying to say James?
He's saying we all bitch too much and we need to STFU.

Fat chance, James.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
He's saying we all bitch too much and we need to STFU.

Fat chance, James.
No.. that's what science is saying.

Y'all should listen to science
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
No.. that's what science is saying.

Y'all should listen to science
Tell it to your wife.

And then come back and post a pic of the black eye she gives you.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

bitchin

I guess this makes sense- the more you talk about your problems, the more they're on your mind, the more you stress over them! Good to know.. although most of the time i feel like it helps to vent to my friends. I guess not in excess though.. next time i feel like overly- bitching i'll keep my mouth shut
Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's better to get it off my chest. If I keep it bottled up inside, I tend to think about it more, so I don't know if I totally agree with that article.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I am seriously thinking about getting my degree in social work/therapy:

So, how does that make you feel?

Do you want to tell me more about that?

Seriously, whatever. So women talk. Men talk, too. We all have problems. Life is chitty like that. We have to get over it some kind of way. Yes, most of it should be related to exercise and sleep. But that ____________ (insert decadent dessert here) is too tasty to give up and groaning about it or commiserating with sistafriends is well worth it!!!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

As happens frequently, they are assuming a cause-effect relationship when it is probably a correlation. Perhaps the girls who are co-ruminating the most have the worst/most serious problems and issues which are going to cause depression/anxiety. A kid with relatively no stressors is not likely to become anxious and depressed and wouldn't have much to co-ruminate about. I do agree that having kids involved in "healthy" activities helps them cope. We frequently had kids in treatment who we tried to get involved in a lot of activities because it helped them get away from their psycho families who were causing them stress.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
This is just a thought....

But, when I was in middle school, I would say 6th grade, I fell into a deep depressioin. Mainly because I didn't have any friends, but that also means that I had no one to co-ruminate with.

Co-ruminating probably plays a very large role but where the family histories of the case students taken into any kind of consideration? Did they only select women and men who had no family history of mental illness?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
As happens frequently, they are assuming a cause-effect relationship when it is probably a correlation. Perhaps the girls who are co-ruminating the most have the worst/most serious problems and issues which are going to cause depression/anxiety. A kid with relatively no stressors is not likely to become anxious and depressed and wouldn't have much to co-ruminate about. I do agree that having kids involved in "healthy" activities helps them cope. We frequently had kids in treatment who we tried to get involved in a lot of activities because it helped them get away from their psycho families who were causing them stress.
Or it could be that those girls that are depressed/anxious have a more negative/pessimistic personality and therefore complain more. Whereas, someone who is always optomistic is probably not going to do much complaining.

PSimissU