GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,292
0 members and 1,292 guests
No Members online

Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Seeking some help

What's Up people,

I found this site while trying to do an extensive search on fraternities. I attend a large school where there are no fraternities that suits me and my friends need. I am a gay minority male and as most people know, greek life, at least at my school, is not really gay friendly. I love Greek life and I feel as though it's not right that certain people should be able to do something they always wanted to because who they are sexually attracted to. I came here because I wanted some advice and information. One of my questions is how would I go about starting my own fraternity and two are there any gay/bi/gay friendly greek organizations out there. I have not found any. This is something that I have researched for almost a year now and still nothing. I would like to start my own fraternity for straight/gay/bi etc. Anyone would be accepted. If someone could please give me some useful advice and information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
http://www.dlp.org/main/

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 04-26-2007, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think that the "welcome" you would receive, or not, would depend on your campus. I attended a small, conservative, religious private school in Calif. that had several openly gay fraternity boys (in some of the biggest NIC fraternities), so would suspect on many campuses you would be accepted, though some might find it awkward. Of course there are certain areas of the country, or certain universities with already "traditional," "competitive" greek systems where you might find it more challenging. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda 10 Project at http://www.lambda10.org/ has complete resources on gay and lesbian issues in Greek life. Also, consider reading Out of Fraternity Row or Brotherhood: Gay Life in College Fraternities by Shane Windmeyer.

You may be surprised how open some of the traditional fraternities are to having gay members. Is there something specific that leads you to believe they wouldn't be? Also, there are several gay fraternities.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I would think that the "welcome" you would receive, or not, would depend on your campus.
Good point. A good friend of mine went through rush up here and was afraid he wouldn't be accepted because he is gay. There are three groups (at least, was when he rushed last year)...let's call them ABC, DEF, XYZ. He went in with open minds about ABC abd DEF, and from past exprience he knew he didn't want XYZ. Of course, he is now a proud, happy, active brother of XYZ, who doesn't care at all. I remember when he got bids to both ABC and XYZ and asked my opinion all I could tell him was to follow his heart. Him being gay didn't have an affect at all on the brothers...and it's one of the bigger nationals.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_styles View Post
....are there any gay/bi/gay friendly greek organizations out there. I have not found any. This is something that I have researched for almost a year now and still nothing.
Are you serious?

What kind of research where you doing that didn't involve typing "gay fraternity" in google?

If you are black and Delta Lambda Phi or the others don't appeal to you, try Delta Phi Upsilon or Gamma Mu Phi.

And read Lazarus by Rashid Darden. I don't know him, but his novel is the bomb diggety, son.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would think that the "welcome" you would receive, or not, would depend on your campus. I attended a small, conservative, religious private school in Calif. that had several openly gay fraternity boys (in some of the biggest NIC fraternities), so would suspect on many campuses you would be accepted, though some might find it awkward. Of course there are certain areas of the country, or certain universities with already "traditional," "competitive" greek systems where you might find it more challenging. Good luck!
Agreed. Texas, SMU, TCU, the SEC, some ACC, and the rest of the Big XII (schools that I know well)........he would have a very hard time. Challenging is an understatement.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
My campus's chapter of Sigma Nu did a joint event with ODU-Out (a GLBT student organization) that brought in guest speaker Shane Windmeyer.

He gave a very informative presentation on how to promote tollerance and acceptance within the Greek community on one's campus, and he might shed some insight on Out-Friendly organizations.

I know within my college's chapter of my fraternity, we have brothers from all walks of life... straight, bisexual, gay (openly and others privately), and every ethnic and religious background you can think of. We embrace our diversity, and it has become our strength in recent months.

My reccomendation would be to explore this website and see if Shane offers any insight, and if not, approach Sigma Nu, as I know (from my experience as a brother) that our values encourage being true to oneself.

http://www.lambda10.org/outgreek/

Good luck to you!
-JCA
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 04-27-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok, first.... I always wanted to be part of black frat for awhile, but once I saw how homophobic they were, I decided against. So i never really thought to look outside the traditional black fraternities at first. But my close friends strongly suggested against pledging because they just dont tolerate it, which is true, unless your closeted, which I'm not. The only greek I did come upon was Delta Lambda Phi and they seem cool. But thanks for your help
Old 04-27-2007, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Are you serious?

What kind of research where you doing that didn't involve typing "gay fraternity" in google?

If you are black and Delta Lambda Phi or the others don't appeal to you, try Delta Phi Upsilon or Gamma Mu Phi.

And read Lazarus by Rashid Darden. I don't know him, but his novel is the bomb diggety, son.
Thanks, I'll check that out
Old 04-27-2007, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_styles View Post
Ok, first.... I always wanted to be part of black frat for awhile, but once I saw how homophobic they were, I decided against. So i never really thought to look outside the traditional black fraternities at first. But my close friends strongly suggested against pledging because they just dont tolerate it, which is true, unless your closeted, which I'm not. The only greek I did come upon was Delta Lambda Phi and they seem cool. But thanks for your help

Old 04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

If that is what you are looking for then do not be afraid and just go for it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-27-2007, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RitaMae1908 Send a message via MSN to RitaMae1908 Send a message via Yahoo to RitaMae1908
Quote:

LMAO! Plug, plug.

~STUPID is FOREVER, IGNORANCE can be FIXED. Furthermore, before GIVING someone a PIECE of your MIND be SURE that you HAVE ENOUGH to SPARE!!~
Old 04-27-2007, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

?????
Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaMae1908 View Post
LMAO! Plug, plug.
I love AKA's.... lol